LegacyGT.com

Hole in exhaust manifold gasket

I replaced the catted up pipe last weekend but fell one gasket short for the front exhaust pipe flange gasket connecting to the passenger side exhaust manifold.

I had to reuse the original gasket, and tried to bandaid this shameful disregard for proper repair procedure with high heat silicone. It was fine till last night, now that hole makes my car sound like a dying duck crossbred with pigs.

I'm putting in new gaskets tonight, in the mean time should I be concerned about any damage to my vehicle if driven for a day in this condition?

http://legacygt.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=62001&d=1231172289

Yes you'll be fine. Another trick to do is take a small screwdriver and lightly seperate the gasket (butterfly), until each metal ply is not touch one another. This way when you tighten it back down it will re-seat and seal most or all of the gaps.
My wife's balls are delicious.

Yes you'll be fine. Another trick to do is take a small screwdriver and lightly seperate the gasket (butterfly), until each metal ply is not touch one another. This way when you tighten it back down it will re-seat and seal most or all of the gaps.

You cheap .... :) just buy the proper gasket...why go through all that labor and not do it right.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Turns out it was the gasket for the manifold to up pipe, not the gasket I reused and sealed with silicone. The cheap chinese gaskets with the STI up pipe disintegrated after only 4 days of driving and I didnt even need to drop any of the piping, just loosed it and the pieces all fell out of the flange.

Learned my lesson on that one, only quality gaskets from now on. I never want to suffer such a loss of boost again, I felt like a NA Legacy for a minute there... The horror, I'm tellin' ya.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived