LegacyGT.com

P0303 - Cylinder Misfire Help!?

Sure. It may seems daunting at first but it really is not that bad.

Another tip:

-if you have not reached yet TDC, and you are on the compression stroke, and you begin adding air in the chamber, the crank will want to spin counter clockwise.

-if you have passed TDC and you begin to add air in the chamber, the crank will want to spin clockwise.

-if you are at TDC, and you add air in the chamber, the crank should not spin.

Hope that helps.

Compression is 120 in cylinder 3 and 118 in cylinder 1. The needle jumped a few times to get up to those pressures in both cylinders when cranking the engine. I can't figure out for the life of me why I can't get the leak down to work. Leak down in cylinder 3 at top dead center is showing 0 % leakage. Which I know is not right. I even hooked up my air compressor at 90 psi regulated straight into cylinder 3. And there were no leaks. I know that's not right....

I guess you could do that. But the method I described to you works just fine as well. You'll see when you try it.

I used your method last night and it worked well as I didn't have to take the adapter hose out of the spark plug hole in order to find TDC!

Like I said earlier, I am finding 0% leak in both cyl 1 & 3. I have the radiator cap off and the oil filler cap off. Is there any thing else I am missing. Is there something that could be keeping that pressure in the system? I vaguely remember reading something in another thread about doing something with the BOV to see if there's leaks through the intake.

I just don't think that a 10 year old engine with 150k miles on it has 0 leaks.

I used your method last night and it worked well as I didn't have to take the adapter hose out of the spark plug hole in order to find TDC!

I am glad that worked for you as well.

Like I said earlier, I am finding 0% leak in both cyl 1 & 3. I have the radiator cap off and the oil filler cap off. Is there any thing else I am missing. Is there something that could be keeping that pressure in the system? I vaguely remember reading something in another thread about doing something with the BOV to see if there's leaks through the intake.

I just don't think that a 10 year old engine with 150k miles on it has 0 leaks.

I am not sure. You really could not hear air hissing from anywhere? not even the rings? Usually the rings would still leak a little and you would hear it through the oil cap/dip stick.

So I finally figured out the problem. I was using the same hose as the one for the compression test. This hose has a Schrader style valve which would let the air from the cylinder to the gauge but not let any air from the compressor into the cylinder!

I can't believe this little valve caused me so much time and headache.

After taking this valve out of the hose I tested the leak in cylinders 1 & 3. The engine was cold at this point. Cylinder 1 had about 8% leak, the air was coming out of the oil filler. Cylinder 3 had about 5% leak, again out of the oil filler.

I put the spark plugs and coil packs back in and started the car warming it up to normal operating temp. After removing the coil pack and plug in cylinder 3, the leak was reduced to about 2.5-3% (still through the oil filler).

• 3 weeks later...
So, I finally had a CEL pop up this weekend. It's been about 3 months since I swapped the injectors. Before that, the CEL was tripping every couple of days. The code was P0301, which is a cylinder 1 misfire code. I'm guessing that the injector that I swapped from cylinder 3, and now is on cylinder 1 is the problem. I'll be picking up a new OEM injector from Subaru unless there's a better option out there. This is the 2nd injector I've replaced since buying the car.

I felt the car start to miss a little at idle over the last couple drives, something I haven't felt since I switched the injectors. The engine was warm. The CEL popped up in stop and go traffic downtown. Not sure if I was stopped or under light acceleration in 1st or 2nd.

I see. Actually, just re-reading your previous post sounds about right: meaning the injector in #1 is having issues. How many miles on them? Maybe cleaning it would fix the issue? LIke sending them to witchhunters or deatschwerks.

They should be original injectors. I replaced Cyl #4 injector due to misfires at 100k miles. I'm now at 150k mi. What do you think the cost and leadtime is to send them out to have them cleaned? I'm looking at $160 from the dealership which I can have into the car tonight if I'm not too lazy!

Archived