LegacyGT.com

Upgrading speakers on premium trim

Heres something I am talking to Harman Kardon about. Upgrading the dash speakers all three of them to high end. The tweeters and center speaker obviously using components. Since most of the sound is channeled there putting higher quality speakers in the dash might be the answer. Harmon is digging up all Specs for the system. Once I get them they will be shared.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

Just a heads up, simply replacing factory system speakers (base grade or HK) with aftermarket is not going to necessarily get you better sound. In most cases, I would assert it gets worse. Even base grade has equalization for each channel which was tuned specifically for the stock speakers (which cannot be bypassed through settings). This has been done for years. For example, in the 2012 2.5i I used to have here is the EQ found on one of the channels I think in this case a speaker without a tweeter may be best otherwise the output sound would be way too bright! That is a lot of treble boost. I ended up using a 2010 Nav head unit which had mostly flat (except for loudness) outputs. I have no idea about the current stuff, sorry.

I have no doubt that inserting a new speaker will change the character of the sound, and I am certainly not going to get into an argument about sound preference (much like political arguments; no one wins :) ) so if the change matches your sound preference than awesome!

The way I have my Equilizer sounds pretty good for the non-HK system. I usually don't turn the volume above 30, that's where I think it peaks for sound quality at this setting.

http://legacygt.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=2293&pictureid=10623

• 3 weeks later...
I replaced the stock speakers with Kicker 6x9 components in the front and 6.5 in the rear. It was the best thing I've done so far on my car. It was a real pain to thread the new wires through the rubber tubing in the door jam, but worth it in the end! I think I may eventually put an amp in, I can turn it all the way to max and its just barely too loud, but for now I am happy with the power from the stock head unit.

Why did you run new wires to the doors? I'm trying to decide if I want to or not...

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

The way I have my Equilizer sounds pretty good for the non-HK system. I usually don't turn the volume above 30, that's where I think it peaks for sound quality at this setting.

http://legacygt.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=2293&pictureid=10623

Are you running stock speakers? Not crazy about sinking more $$ into a new car..

Why did you run new wires to the doors? I'm trying to decide if I want to or not...

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Because I didn't know how to do it any other way. It was the first time I had replaced speakers myself. Plus, there are so many wires I couldn't figure out which ones were which.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived