LegacyGT.com

Purse w/ Spare Key robbed from me - what are my options?

Hi everyone,

Please don't yell at me if I have posted in the wrong spot - I tried to do my due diligence to find the right place to put this question!

I own a 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Limited Wagon. Last week someone broke my passenger window and stole my purse, which had a spare key (no fob, just metal key) inside. Insurance covered the window, but apparently they won't cover changing the locks now.

In my possession still is my key fob + key, and I have my spare fob + key back home in CT safe in a box. Again, this was just a regular key, no electronics.

I live in SE Portland OR where crime can be high this time of year, and I am not sleeping at night worrying about my car being stolen. Does anyone have some insight into what my best options are?

I purchased Trackimo, a tiny GPS tracker which I plan to install in a secret spot in my car. It will alert me if my car leaves an area I designate, and I can track the car in real-time, but it won't stop the thief from coming back with my key, or selling it to someone who wants to take my Legacy.

Please let me know what you think I should do! I am so scared, and I love my GT!

Thanks,

Mariella

Purchase a steering wheel club and install it when you park the car. You can also have someone install a rocker switch in the ignition line under the dash and have the ability to shut it off when you leave effectively disabling the car. Just remember it's there when you drive the car yourself...LOL.

That's why you purchase insurance, unfortunately. If someone saws through the wheel, they want it worse than you do and the best thing is to let it go. I don't think they would want a 10 year old car that badly (stealing it with a key is pretty easy but if you make it harder, they may just walk away) so I wouldn't worry too much. The switch is a great thing to do though. I have one in my van that I take rock climbing to Kentucky and Tennessee as there had been a rash of vehicles stolen from pull offs by the locals and no one has broken in yet, but if they do, they at least won't get the van. They'll get the stuff inside but I'll at least be able to drive out of there (IF they don't flat the tires or something stupid like that).

Hide the switch under the dash where only you know about it. When you exit the car, pop the switch and it is effectively locked from being started. Just remember to pop the switch back when you return so it will start. You only cut a single wire-primary ignition-and put a rocker switch in the line so that when you pop the switch, it breaks the line from sending ignition current and it won't start.

Just buy a new key and have it reprogrammed to the car. They also remove old key codes from the computer, so the stolen key will no longer start the car (essentially the same as the ignition switch addon mentioned above)

I had a similar problem this spring when I left my keys in my car in my driveway overnight and my car was stolen. I recovered my car, but they kept my keys and fob (among some other minor things they stole out of it). So I just bought new keys and had them programmed to the ignition, and also had them delete the old key codes so the stolen key would no longer start the car. I also bought a new fob off ebay and programmed it myself and deleted the old fob codes. Granted they still have the key that will open the drivers side door, I just try to never leave anything valuable in my car.

You CAN have the old key "turned off" in the immobilizer, so it won't start the car. . .however it will still unlock the door unless you have the car rekeyed.

Up to you if that's worth doing. Fortunately there are only 2 locks on your car of any concern: door and ignition.

Most automotive locksmiths would be up to the task. It's not a particularly fun job as the frameless windows complicate removal of the door lock, and the ignition lock is mounted to the housing with blind roll pins, and the housing to the column with shear head bolts, but it can be done in a couple of hours.

I'd charge about $275 to rekey one, including de-programming the missing key, just for reference.

RE: the club and sawing through the wheel: the Club is a deterrent, and it's pretty effective. You don't have to make your car into a rolling Fort Knox (or Herkimer Battle Jitney), you just have to make it less attractive than the next car.

So your perp would need to be walking around with your stolen key AND a hacksaw. No it doesn't make your car theft-proof, but it does decrease the odds of it happening by a significant amount.

. . . and at the end of the day, if your car does get stolen, it's just a car. You can replace it. . .and obviously you have insurance.

just have the key you have reprogrammed to a different frequency and the old key wont work, at least it seems that easy

Keys have their own code or 'frequency' and cannot be reprogrammed. The computer/ignition gets programmed to the key. So a new chipped key would be needed and a reprogrammed ignition/computer.

Keys have their own code or 'frequency' and cannot be reprogrammed. The computer/ignition gets programmed to the key. So a new chipped key would be needed and a reprogrammed ignition/computer.

http://i.imgur.com/KWkpVeJ.jpg

The value in the key is unique to the key. It's essentially a serial no. When programming the key, you're essentially enrolling that serial no. into the list of good keys on the car.

You don't have to replace the computer to delete a key on a Subaru (thankfully).

a really analog solution would be to install a [ame=http://www.amazon.com/Post-Battery-Master-Disconnect-Switch/dp/B001N729FS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1414609081&sr=8-1&keywords=battery+disconnect]battery disconnect[/ame].

OK! My dad told me to buy a club as well, but my BF is scaring me cuz he says people will just saw through the wheel! The scary shit I'm hearing never ends =(

Years ago when the Club was popular I remember seeing cars in New York with the Club's lock facing the instrument cluster. NY thieves were shooting the lock with air conditioner refrigerant and whacking the lock with a hammer. Since the locks were cheap white metal they'd shatter. Tough to get a good shot at that lock with a hammer when it's facing the dashboard.

That's when the wheel cutting got its start.

Archived