LegacyGT.com

What's everyone's fall/winter car-camping setup?

SBT

We've just completed a cross-country trip from SoCar to SoCal and were car-camping enroute.

Last night we camped at 7100 FT elevation in Flagstaff AZ and the temp dipped into the low 30s (~31*F) last night. We're using our North Face Trail Head 6 tent with a Beauty Rest queen air mattress, 40*F Hollowfill 808 REI bags and a propane catalytic heater to keep it in the 50s. The dog nestled into his bed with a handmade blanket (D2's knitted creation) tossed on-top for good measure. Really quite comfortable, all around.

Have been cooking on the Primus OmniFuel Stove, using MSR's version of Iso-Butane fuel. On the way back, I'll be using white or unleaded gas in a fuel bottle, just to compare the two in the same/similar circumstances. As always, I'm amazed by the output of this rig. Lights immediately and simmers very well. The only drawback is that it sounds like a rocket engine when it's anything past a slight simmer. Will be buying a [ame=http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008129SEI/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A2MX6DN5J41ABU]Quiet Stove damper cap [/ame]for it before we return to SoCar. Everything I've read leads me to believe that this will be a large improvement in both the performance and the quietness of the stove.

Coleman NorthStar SM Lantern blazed away in the background hanging on the Firefly three-legged stand, and the Pico chairs were very comfortable for lounging around. Love how compact they are and how functionally easy both the Firefly and the Pico items are to setup. The pic below is our setup.

By the time we return it will be mid/late November since we're doing this to wait for the launch and commissioning of GD1 who is due November 11th. Could be returning earlier if this newest addition to the family comes sooner.

What all are you using for Fall/Winter car-camping?

1682227724_SAM_1814Resized.thumb.jpg.f7fccdafab7d4895193899f7d1313fb0.jpg

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

This was all in the back (except for the Koolatron 12V cooler) of the 8-foot bed of a 2003 Dodge Quad-cab 5.9L 24V Cummins T-D truck. Somehow it all fits better in the typical Let's Go Aero Trailer.
- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

• 5 months later...

Bumping a dead thread here. I picked up a Kelty Noah's Tarp 12' recently because I got a good deal. I think this will be more of a seasonal car / motorcycle camping item unless I end up ditching my tent and going tarp / hammock while backpacking.

Do you guys ever use a tarp over your tent winter camping? I'm looking for advice for a pole set-up to use with this type of tarp.

I did once way back when. I actually used hiking poles as the centerline poles and carried line for the rest. Did creative stuff with a combat shovel and things I could find incase it was raining or whatnot to keep runoff from flooding the tent and such.

• 2 months later...

Archived