LegacyGT.com

Master Key Replacement

Hi all,

I recently picked up a very used 96 Legacy about a month ago. When I picked up the car, the previous owner only had the valet key and no other spare keys to the vehicle. Has anyone else been able to get a replacement master key from Subaru to go with their car? What can I expect to pay for a replacement...thanks all.

the only difference between the master and valet on this generation is the blank it's cut on.

Take it to anywhere you trust to cut keys and have it duplicated onto an x123/x210. Voila. . .master key.

Of course you could always go see your friendly (wishful thinking) neighborhood locksmith who would know these sort of things off the top of his/her (probably unwashed) head. :-)

Of course you could always go see your friendly (wishful thinking) neighborhood locksmith who would know these sort of things off the top of his/her (probably unwashed) head. :-)
in the movies, the bad guys always go to a locksmith for illegal keys, lock picks, alarm codes and other stuff you can't learn online.

but you can't beat them for legal lock ''stuff''.

my 90 nissan pickup and my 97 GT wagon use the same key.

i had a lock smith rekey the subaru key cylinders about 13 years ago.

the locks were in my 95 lego L then.

i then moved them into a 97 obw and now my 97GT.

the locks and key blanks changed around 00.

the key shafts are thicker.

the new keys will not slide into the old cylinders.

but the old keys will slide into the new cylinders.

i do not know if they would turn the lock if cut correctly.

Spot on, but no, the old keys won't turn in the new locks. . at least not without quite a bit of modification and luck.

Old keys (pre 2000) are 8 cut and index to a shoulder made about 1/3 of the way down the blade of blank (see Nissan keys above). Post 2000 keys are 10 cut and index to the tip of the key.

Both keyways are shared with Nissan. Same cutting specs, different codes used between Subaru and Nissan/Infiniti on the 10 cut stuff. Same codes on the 8 cut stuff, but Subaru only used 1,000 of the 8,000 or so unique key combinations used by Nissan, so the odds of any given key operating any given Subaru on this series was 1 in 1,000.

Nissan introduced the 10 cut key in 1996. Subaru in 98 (forester), widely adopted in 2000 (Outback/Legacy). Dunno what year the Impreza switched over. Probably 2002. There are 22,185 unique key combos for the 10 cut key in Nissan, about 7,850 used by Subaru. Don't ask me why they always scaled it down.

In short, you can generally use Nissan keys on similar year Subaru, and vice versa. . unless you're trying to use a Quest minivan key (Ford keyway until 04/05).

The only truly unique to subaru keyway is the side-milled keys used on gen 5 Legacy/gen 4 outback. the gen 6 stuff recycled a reversed Toyota keyway that GM introduced with the Colorado/Canyon/H3 back around 2005.

#themoreyouknow

Archived