LegacyGT.com

Failed Engine

Mine is an '09 LGT - 80K miles. 3 weeks ago it was found to have a failed engine. The cylinder heads were so bad, they could not be re-machined - they had to be replaced. The repair is costing me upwards of $5,000. I'm fixing it, because it's the least shitty option on a list of shitty options. I'd just as soon push it off a cliff...

I take care of my car. I maintain it and I do not race it. The only explanation for a catastrophic failure like this is a poorly designed and poorly built motor.

In 15 years, I have owned 3 Subaru Legacys. This is what that loyalty has afforded me - a cancelled trip to a family wedding because of a car that should have run another 100,000 miles, without breaking a sweat.

It seems I'm finished buying Subarus...

Its common in the LGT engines. There is lots of tricks though to make them last that people have discovered, banjo bolt filters, tuning, ect...Surprising it damaged the heads that bad though, how were they damaged?

I assume the ringland blew causing the engine failure?

I'd have to assume they were damaged due in some part to lousy craftsmanship.

Machine shop told my guy the exhaust valves were gone?? I'm not a good enough gearhead to know the answer to the ringland question...

I'll read up on those tricks when I get the car back. If you know where I can find them, I'm all ears.

• I Donated Too

yes, there is more to this story because unless you have a catastophic failure you don't usually have to scrap so much. I blew a rod which put holes through the block, I was still able to salvage the heads and I limped the poor thing for 3 miles off the highway on 3 cylinders sounding like a tin bucket being jiggled with rocks in it.

What was the failure, turbo blew, bang and car died, big bang and smoke, bigger bang and hood flew up into outer space???

I don't think anyone ever welcomes engine failure, especially at inopportune times. But 15 years is a long time to be driving any one make of vehicle without having some type of catastrophic failure. I hate to be the look at the bright side guy, but at least you'll have a new engine, and with all that's been learned about these cars through the online community it should be no trouble upping its reliability.

And I speak from engine trouble experience as do most of the previous posters. We feel your pain.

Trust the shop that does the work. I know it can be hard to find reputable shops that know their way around Subarus in WI

OP, can you post pics of the damage? Exactly what do they mean by the heads can't be machined, why?

Nothing like a race track to find the weak points in man and machine.

"Good Judgement comes from Experience. Experience comes from Bad Judgement"

In 15 years, I have owned 3 Subaru Legacys. This is what that loyalty has afforded me - a cancelled trip to a family wedding because of a car that should have run another 100,000 miles, without breaking a sweat.

Turbo Subarus at 190k with no failure lol, thats just a funny joke. Your talking about unicorn's!

I assume this is your first turbo charged Subaru!? I'd go naturally aspirated if your looking for reliability!

• I Donated Too
If there is scoring on the cam journals, I think the heads become no good. But that's just something I've heard, don't know enough about it really. I think it was msprank that posted that info.

depends... I had scoring from my explosion however they were able to polish them out, it just depends on the depth of damage I guess. For this reason I was able to salvage my heads.

If there is scoring on the cam journals, I think the heads become no good. But that's just something I've heard, don't know enough about it really. I think it was msprank that posted that info.

I just rebuilt my heads and during teardown one of the can journals was scored and what happens is it destroys the oil supply to said journal and would eventually cause it to fail again so a new core is the best way to solve the problem

Mine is an '09 LGT - 80K miles. 3 weeks ago it was found to have a failed engine. The cylinder heads were so bad, they could not be re-machined - they had to be replaced. The repair is costing me upwards of $5,000. I'm fixing it, because it's the least shitty option on a list of shitty options. I'd just as soon push it off a cliff...

I take care of my car. I maintain it and I do not race it. The only explanation for a catastrophic failure like this is a poorly designed and poorly built motor.

OK, now that you've had a chance to vent, it's time for some real talk:

5K AND installed?? Great price!

This is where "maintenance" becomes subjective -- Sure, you put oil in it, and (hopefully!) the good gas (premium, right?),but, at the end of the day, these cars are picky eaters. You can't just throw in the cheapest premium at the tank and expect the boys down at the local Jiffy Lube to put on a filter with the correct bypass PSI and the right synthetic oil and call it "well maintained" -- You have to use the good stuff!

. . . And even then, there's more to it -- I'm willing to bet that you're on the stock tune. You probably thought, "I don't race my car, I want to take care of it. I don't need a tune!" (make a smug face as you read that, and give it a haughty tone as you point your nose at a 45 degree angle)

Truth: You need(ed) a tune. Spending $500 on a good tuner, months, maybe years ago, would have saved you $5k now.

Did you have the banjo bolt filters removed? What condition was your turbo in? You replaced that, too, right? (If not, you're taking a big risk!)

For what it's worth, FHI engineers are pretty smart. I'm willing to bet that they're smarter than you. (I know they're smarter than me!) Sounds to me like you're pissed off and you're blaming it on something you don't understand so as to absolve you of any wrongdoing, even if such inaction were the result of sheer ignorance, which, I'm nearly positive is the ultimate cause of your engine failure, not "poor engine design". The EJ-series engine was designed to be a driveway mechanic's engine, workable from the ground and without complex tools. The oiling design is a bit faulty if you're taking hard rights, but, since you "don't race" your car, this shouldn't be an issue. For normal, everyday driving, these engines are about as good as it gets.

Furthermore, if you think ANY turbocharged car will last more than 150k, you're an idiot. They just plain don't. Heck, some don't even make it to 100k! Your "loyalty" must have been to the early-90s, low-maintenance, get-in-and-drive-away Legacies that are still running today at over 200k. Fact: They don't make 'em like they used to. The new Subarus today will not last more than 100k, not without significant repairs needed to the engine, drivetrain, and suspension. There will never again be a carmaker who builds cars that will outlast their financing options by more than 20 months, let alone 20 years. Fingers crossed that the marriage you missed lasts many, many years more.

However, with the divorce rate what it is in this country, there's a good chance whomever you were going to see get married will give you another shot at it sometime in the next decade.

Meanwhile, hang out here, learn how to properly maintain your car (maybe even how to do your own work!) and understand that you don't drive a Camry. If you want reliability and low replacement cost, get yourself something with a carburator and rear-facing backseat. Beyond that, learn that engines are not adaptable; they operate under a very specific set of circumstances and it's up to US, the humans, to adapt to their needs and ensure that they get what is necessary, should we expect them to perform for us.

Archived