LegacyGT.com

Post-uppipe Install noise

jknepp

Hello everyone, I recently installed an uppipe onto my car, and at first we had the usual settling of pipes that produced the go kart sound of a leak. Now that everything is nice and snug, I'm getting a strange whiz/helicopter/buzzing sound. Here's a link to some footage I recorded:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/c669nax94gljsvt/Video%20Oct%2025%2C%204%2020%2045%20PM.mov?dl=0

Does anyone have any suggestions? We're going over every hose and connection to make sure we didn't pop anything lose during install. Car runs fine, and I'm reading normal-ish boost levels and mpgs, don't seem to be running too rich or lean. Thanks for your help!

Pulled the bottom off? As in you took the engine cover off and eyeballed it? You can not eyeball that leak.

My installer swore there was no leak about 4 years ago when I started getting the noise. I insisted that he remove it and put in a 2x thing Grimmspeed gasket. Lo and behold when he took the UP off, there was clearly a slight mark on the gasket that showed it was leaking. Small, but annoying. New gasket and proper tightening procedure fixed it.

Pulled the bottom off? As in you took the engine cover off and eyeballed it? You can not eyeball that leak.

My installer swore there was no leak about 4 years ago when I started getting the noise. I insisted that he remove it and put in a 2x thing Grimmspeed gasket. Lo and behold when he took the UP off, there was clearly a slight mark on the gasket that showed it was leaking. Small, but annoying. New gasket and proper tightening procedure fixed it.

That is most likely the leak in my mind, the UP to the turbo. For the first startup, the thing sounded like a go kart and we saw that that connection was super loose with all the adjusting of pipes. And since you can only reach two of the bolts without taking the downpipe off again, that's all we tightened back up.

The guy that's helping me install seems to think it might have to do with the Blow Off valve though. Do you think that's a possibility? It looks to be in great shape and I've never had any issues with it before this install. Any thoughts?

Thanks for your input!

That's definitely exhaust leak. My money is on the header / uppipe flange. Just loosen those two bolts, loosen the three holding the uppipe to turbo. Tighten the header / uppipe flange, then the turbo / uppipe flange. Proper TQ specs can be found in the vacation pix

I also have this same problem. I hear more exhaust sound from the engine bay then the exhaust when reving at idle. Also smell a oil smell. But that may be the fact that i have zero cats now. Is that common to have a change in smell. Also wrapped the up and down pipe. And used alot of pb blaster also..

Watching oil level also, dont worry bout that.

Again, most likely an exhaust leak. If the cabin air blower is on and taking in air from outside, does it smell like exhaust in the cabin? Yes? Then it's obviously somewhere under the hood. Check the uppipe, downpipe, and header connections thoroughly.

Removing the cats will change the smell a bit, but you should only notice that out the back of the car. If it's wafting up from the engine bay then you know there's a leak.

My grimmspeed flex uppipe developed a leak after the flex joint deteriorated. I lifted the car, started it, crawled underneath, and put my hand next to the flex joint. I felt a small rush of air, like you would whistling into the palm of your hand.

Yes, when I start it up I can smell exhaust, and I'm 99% sure it's the uppipe to turbo connection. I ordered new gaskets that are arriving today, and I hope to get into there to fix it Friday night. Thanks for all the input, I will follow up afterwards!

Update: Definitely was an exhaust leak at the UP to turbo, the fitment was quite tight between the bolts and so it was pushing away from itself in a way, creating a slight space in the connection. While in there taking everything apart again (and with more patience this time) we replaced all the gaskets involved. It's the age old mantra of taking your time and doing it the right way the first time. Thanks for all your input!

Archived