LegacyGT.com

Post-Uppipe install noise

Hello everyone, I recently installed an uppipe onto my car, and at first we had the usual settling of pipes that produced the go kart sound of a leak. Now that everything is nice and snug, I'm getting a strange whiz/helicopter/buzzing sound. Here's a link to some footage I recorded:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/c669nax94gljsvt/Video%20Oct%2025%2C%204%2020%2045%20PM.mov?dl=0

Does anyone have any suggestions? We're going over every hose and connection to make sure we didn't pop anything lose during install. Car runs fine, and I'm reading normal-ish boost levels and mpgs, don't seem to be running too rich or lean. Thanks for your help!

• 2 weeks later...

Give this a whirl, usually a big culprit assuming your gaskets and mounting surfaces are good.

Update: Definitely was an exhaust leak at the UP to turbo, thanks!

^how did I miss this post. Leave it to me to post a solution to a problem that's already solved :lol:

Updated parts list since original part-out here.

Original Full part-out of my LGT HERE!

Can you make a video of how it sounds now without the exhaust leak?

Oh yeah great idea, I will do that this evening on the way home!

Basically, for anyone who may come back to this post in the future, I found that the bolts directly under the downpipe connection to the turbo were the culprits. Those replacement uppipes won't be a perfect fit every time, and for me some hardcore elbow grease was needed to get the turbo and bracket on the driver's side next to the turbo to fit onto the UP bolts. If that bracket bolt and the one next to it on the uppipe aren't tightened correctly, they will end up pushing against each other and creating a small space for exhaust to leak out of. It helped to have someone underneath pushing up on the pipe and me on top pushing down on the turbo while throwing a nut onto any bolt that made it through those holes to hold it, then move onto the next one. It was a pain for sure, but since this mod is an absolute necessity to protect our turbos, I'm glad I took the time to put it in and secure it.

Hope my little episode helps, and I will upload a video of the way it should sound! (Note: I have a K&N Typhoon CAI installed, so it'll sound significantly quieter if you have the stock airbox in.)

Oh yeah great idea, I will do that this evening on the way home!

Basically, for anyone who may come back to this post in the future, I found that the bolts directly under the downpipe connection to the turbo were the culprits. Those replacement uppipes won't be a perfect fit every time, and for me some hardcore elbow grease was needed to get the turbo and bracket on the driver's side next to the turbo to fit onto the UP bolts. If that bracket bolt and the one next to it on the uppipe aren't tightened correctly, they will end up pushing against each other and creating a small space for exhaust to leak out of. It helped to have someone underneath pushing up on the pipe and me on top pushing down on the turbo while throwing a nut onto any bolt that made it through those holes to hold it, then move onto the next one. It was a pain for sure, but since this mod is an absolute necessity to protect our turbos, I'm glad I took the time to put it in and secure it.

Hope my little episode helps, and I will upload a video of the way it should sound! (Note: I have a K&N Typhoon CAI installed, so it'll sound significantly quieter if you have the stock airbox in.)

Just curious are you running a stock dp with the uppipe or an aftermarket one?

Archived