LegacyGT.com

356 HP 6 speed manual V8 powered BH

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm not surprised it left CA :lol:

With swaps like this in CA I always wonder if people even plan on how their going to pass smog.

As the motor came out of a newer car in theory it could be CARB'd. He would have had use the GM ECU though and go through a lot of hoops.

As the motor came out of a newer car in theory it could be CARB'd. He would have had use the GM ECU though and go through a lot of hoops.

Since it and the car it went in to are both OBDII you'd need EVERYTHING from the doner car to make it smog legal including the gas tank. This is why Flyin Miata will only do carb legal V8 swaps on 1990-1995 Miata's.

2003 Baja 5MT

2016 Outback 2.5i Premium w/Eyesight

Since it and the car it went in to are both OBDII you'd need EVERYTHING from the doner car to make it smog legal including the gas tank. This is why Flyin Miata will only do carb legal V8 swaps on 1990-1995 Miata's.

Interesting, I was under the impression that it was just the emissions system strapped to the tank, not the tank it's self.

You'd need to make the ECU happy with all of it's expected I/O though. That would probably involve making custom CAN bus bridges and other things that would get extremely complex. You'd probably have to spoof that some (non emissions) components still existed as well.

I obviously live on the other side of the country so haven't gone as far as asking a referee the particulars of doing something like this. Just was curious at one point.

I thought it was something similar also, but I asked Keith from FM about it at Laguna Seca in October. The tank is considered part of the evaporative emissions system on an OBDII car.

2003 Baja 5MT

2016 Outback 2.5i Premium w/Eyesight

So are the people doing CARB legal RSTI swaps out there doing the tanks as well? I don't remember seeing that on any of the build threads. Though in those cases the part number may be the same anyway, thus no big deal.

Archived