LegacyGT.com

Cobb stage 1 overboost issue 20lbs

Hello all,

I just purchased a 2005 legacy gt 5mt a few months ago. There is a fairly long story that goes along with this so bear with me. 2 days after buying the car i got lean code in bank 1 and wastegate selenoid code for overboosting. To make a long story short the sketchy used car dealership was chasing these codes and i had to bring it back 3 different times. The last time it was there he replaced the TMIC (leaking) the brake booster (leaking) the turbo inlet (leaking) as well as "rebuilt the engine" I have the old cylinder 4 piston with busted rings. He claims that he rebuilt the motor. I do not believe he replaced the block. He apparently replaced the turbo with a junkyard turbo as well. I am still trying to contact him to send me a work order with all the parts he put in. He will not respong to me. Ok so finally got the car back all is well running good. First mod was a boost gauge. After that i noticed i was running wastegate boost pressure (about 9 lbs) After looking around i realized that instead of the vacuum line coming out of the turbo to the restrictor pill to the T then to the wastegate. The turbo vacuum line just ended and was capped. The T to the wastegate and the intake was routed across the TMIC and Tee'd into the fuel pressure regulator to intake manifold line. I said, ok i guess its getting the same reading from there as it is the turbo so no worries but soon realized there was no restrictor pill. So i ordered one from subaru and put it in the line. Boost went back to stock levels. Next mod was an accesport. Flashed the stage 1 93 octane.

Started overboosting slightly to about 18lbs for a fraction of a second and holding 17 lbs then tapering off.

I decided to take off the TMIC and see why the turbo nipple for the vacuum line was blocked. Come to find out there was some oily gunk clogging the nipple off the turbo. Cleaning it all out with a bent safety pin and some air. i Then proceeded to connect the vacuum lines the correct way with the restrict or pill installed. Now in second and third gear on the accessport it shows me overboosting to 20lbs. That reading is so quick i dont even see it on the mechanical boost gauge. It quickly drops to 17-18 lbs and holds eventually tapering off. In fourth and fifth gear it will overboost to 19-20lbs then quickly drop to 15-16 lbs and hold, eventually tapering off.

Im very sorry this post may be very confusing, ask as many questions as needed. Your help in fixing this issue would be greatly appreciated. I love this car it is very fun to drive but I do not want to break it by overboosting. To my knowlege the only other mods that are done to the car is a muffler. Stock pipes. There is still a cat in the up and DP with heat sheilding. The Turbo heat shield still bolts onto the turbo (although very tight only being able to put 3 bolts in) Seems as if there are no vacuum leaks, during idle boost gauge shows about 19-20. Car has 117,xxx miles with a junkyard turbo and a "rebuilt motor"

Hello all,

I just purchased a 2005 legacy gt 5mt a few months ago. There is a fairly long story that goes along with this so bear with me. 2 days after buying the car i got lean code in bank 1 and wastegate selenoid code for overboosting. To make a long story short the sketchy used car dealership was chasing these codes and i had to bring it back 3 different times. The last time it was there he replaced the TMIC (leaking) the brake booster (leaking) the turbo inlet (leaking) as well as "rebuilt the engine" I have the old cylinder 4 piston with busted rings. He claims that he rebuilt the motor. I do not believe he replaced the block. He apparently replaced the turbo with a junkyard turbo as well. I am still trying to contact him to send me a work order with all the parts he put in. He will not respong to me. Ok so finally got the car back all is well running good. First mod was a boost gauge. After that i noticed i was running wastegate boost pressure (about 9 lbs) After looking around i realized that instead of the vacuum line coming out of the turbo to the restrictor pill to the T then to the wastegate. The turbo vacuum line just ended and was capped. The T to the wastegate and the intake was routed across the TMIC and Tee'd into the fuel pressure regulator to intake manifold line. I said, ok i guess its getting the same reading from there as it is the turbo so no worries but soon realized there was no restrictor pill. So i ordered one from subaru and put it in the line. Boost went back to stock levels. Next mod was an accesport. Flashed the stage 1 93 octane.

Started overboosting slightly to about 18lbs for a fraction of a second and holding 17 lbs then tapering off.

I decided to take off the TMIC and see why the turbo nipple for the vacuum line was blocked. Come to find out there was some oily gunk clogging the nipple off the turbo. Cleaning it all out with a bent safety pin and some air. i Then proceeded to connect the vacuum lines the correct way with the restrict or pill installed. Now in second and third gear on the accessport it shows me overboosting to 20lbs. That reading is so quick i dont even see it on the mechanical boost gauge. It quickly drops to 17-18 lbs and holds eventually tapering off. In fourth and fifth gear it will overboost to 19-20lbs then quickly drop to 15-16 lbs and hold, eventually tapering off.

Im very sorry this post may be very confusing, ask as many questions as needed. Your help in fixing this issue would be greatly appreciated. I love this car it is very fun to drive but I do not want to break it by overboosting. To my knowlege the only other mods that are done to the car is a muffler. Stock pipes. There is still a cat in the up and DP with heat sheilding. The Turbo heat shield still bolts onto the turbo (although very tight only being able to put 3 bolts in) Seems as if there are no vacuum leaks, during idle boost gauge shows about 19-20. Car has 117,xxx miles with a junkyard turbo and a "rebuilt motor"

You should have made use of the 30-day "cooling off" period and taken it back.

My guess is that you don't have the correct restrictor pill. You sure it's the correct one? In the correct place?

i ordered the part from the subaru dealership and it is now in place between the turbo vacuum hose nipple and the T that goes to the wastegate and the intake. The invoice for the restrictor pill assembly shows part number 14447AA120. Google tells me that is the correct part for my car. The hoses are a bit longer than they should be it seems like, which causes them to be in a crazy s bend but i do not believe any of them are kinked. Would a different sized restrictor pill cause such a surge to 20lbs and then the computer bringing the boost back down like that?

• 2 weeks later...
I did two 3rd gear logs today on my way to work. Seems like at WOT throttle starting at 2k rpm boost hits target normal. My second log I started in the power band around 3200 rpm and quickly eased into WOT and hit 20 lbs of boost for a short time. I will try uploading the logs I'm a bit

3rd gear pull log. 20 lbs of boost. take a look at this and let me know what you think.

BTW this is on the stage 1 cobb map for 91 octane. I use 93 Octane. I changed the map in order to try and produce less boost with a less aggressive map. The 93 octane map does the same thing just with about a half pound more overboost.

datalog17.csv

My guess is its not the stock turbo and the issue may be related to that. The ecu is pulling wastegate duty cycle to try and remove about 3-4psi which sounds like the cobb map targets for the stage one. Try and read the identification plate on the turbo, it's possible you have a vf52 or td04 on there.

BTW I would avoid boosting around till you get it fixed. The stage 1 with stock downpipe should not exceed about 15.7psi safely.

No guarantees but that would make the most sense with what I see in the logs.

Dave

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Providing unmatched customer service and a Premium level of Dyno/E-tuning to the Community

cryotuneperformance@yahoo.com

facebook.com/cryotuneperformance.

My guess is its not the stock turbo and the issue may be related to that. The ecu is pulling wastegate duty cycle to try and remove about 3-4psi which sounds like the cobb map targets for the stage one. Try and read the identification plate on the turbo, it's possible you have a vf52 or td04 on there.

BTW I would avoid boosting around till you get it fixed. The stage 1 with stock downpipe should not exceed about 15.7psi safely.

No guarantees but that would make the most sense with what I see in the logs.

Dave

Took a look at the ID plate. Model shows RHF5H which I believe is a stock vf-40.

Could it be possible that the turbo heat shield is hitting the wastegate arm restricting movement?

Now that the turbo has been verified I would take a pressure pump/blow gun to the wastegate actuator and verify it's opening around where it should. It's always possible it could be a early bnr16g in the original vf40 housing but that's unlikely.

It has a 8-9psi spring so it should start to move around that level although I have seen them Crack open at up to 12psi.

Dave

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Providing unmatched customer service and a Premium level of Dyno/E-tuning to the Community

cryotuneperformance@yahoo.com

facebook.com/cryotuneperformance.

Now that the turbo has been verified I would take a pressure pump/blow gun to the wastegate actuator and verify it's opening around where it should. It's always possible it could be a early bnr16g in the original vf40 housing but that's unlikely.

It has a 8-9psi spring so it should start to move around that level although I have seen them Crack open at up to 12psi.

Dave

I dont have access to a tool like that right now. Just started a new job and have been busy. I took off the actuator arm and the spring seemed really tight. I also dont have any experience to reference what a normal one would feel like. It did move back and forth though. The valve on the turbo moved freely. Is there a safe way to run wastegate pressure for the time being until i can get a pump. I was thinking to just bypass the wastegate solenoid and run a new vacuum line from the turbo to the wastegate actuator. Will that mess with anything on the stage 1 tune?

• 4 months later...

i also tried something different. ill do my best to explain...

currently i have my boost gauge tapped into my fuel pressure regulator vac line.

So i decided to instead route my boost gauge directly to the turbo nipple. Then i extended the restrictor pill line and tapped into the fuel pressure regulator vac line essentially just switching them.

The results of this yielded me with boost right on target. i soon put it back because i was worried about the EBCS bleeding pressure away from my fuel pressure regulator.

Another note: this is how i bought the car from the used car dealer after they were trying to figure out the boost issue themselves for a few weeks.

• 5 months later...
Bringing back this thread. If anyone could help I've been trying to figure out this issue for a while. I'm now stage 2 with invidia downpipe and cat back exhaust with a Cobb intake. I have replaced my ebcs with a brand new factory one. Still having my overboosting issue. Waste gate spring is a solid 9 Pounds. Anyone know why I would be overboosting.

Archived