LegacyGT.com

Noobie suspension question about coilovers

legacyshawn

I just recently bought a 2008 3.0r that came with Megan Racing Street Coilovers... off the bat after reading around I know they are "cheap" and not recommended. However, I adjusted the ride height, set the dampers and I am 100% satisfied with the ride quality, firmness, and height. Now with the winter coming and being in MD, I fear that these steel coilovers will rust... The problem is I don't have much cash to go back to stock. I noticed very small amounts of surface rust on the spring and body. (I will sand and protect with a paint soon).

Besides greasing them is there anything else I should do? But whats the worse thing that could happen if I run them in the winter? I did a few searches, and honestly, I'm not too worried about the rings seizing. I'm just not very acquainted to suspensions.

Yeah, don't believe the hype. "Cheap" means you didn't spend $2200 for "expensive" single adjustable coilovers. "Cheap" does not mean they will fail the first time you take a corner to fast.

Keep checking them and stay on top of the maintenance. Wash the underside of your car to keep the salt off and you should be good.

I put 28k miles on my "cheap" BC Racing coilovers, mostly on a track. Never had a problem with them. Even driving in snow, salt, ice, etc.

This is my DD, and I liked having fun in the snow with my 2.5i without worrying. I don't understand how people "rinse" they're lowered cars in the middle of the winter. Sure you could stop at a diy car wash and pressure wash it... If it's not frozen or shut down. I just don't see it being practical.

So if I take them off, clean, remove rust, repaint, apply some waterproof thick grease, should I be good for the season? Also should I be worried about the shaft rusting or is that rare?

Thanks for the help

Would Plasti-Dip work or something else flexible?

The shaft? Hopefully someone would chime in but I'd say yes, that's bad...though if it's light surface rust, it should be an easy repair(just use some sort of inhibitor and protectant). Most shafts are treated or coated with some sort of anti-corrosion/rust chemical. Maybe installing a boot wouldn't be such a bad idea either.

This is my DD, and I liked having fun in the snow with my 2.5i without worrying. I don't understand how people "rinse" they're lowered cars in the middle of the winter. Sure you could stop at a diy car wash and pressure wash it... If it's not frozen or shut down. I just don't see it being practical.

So if I take them off, clean, remove rust, repaint, apply some waterproof thick grease, should I be good for the season? Also should I be worried about the shaft rusting or is that rare?

Thanks for the help

Yeah, that's fine.

I used to take the drive on car ramps to the car wash. Drive up, use the high-pressure soap & rinse to wash off the salt and crud. Seemed like cheap insurance to me.

As long as everything has paint with no dimples or scrapes, you should be fine. If you go out on a particularly gnarly road, I'd check for damage. Your trade-off is hassle vs replacement. Weigh the costs and live with it.

Archived