LegacyGT.com

need some direction and advice

Yeah they'll cheap out on everything. When I was working at a dealership, the service manager was trying to put the lamp assembly back in the car. ( the one that sits over your head. Broke the sunglasses holder and said "oh shit". Se then went right over to the phone and made up some bs lie (which I can remember exactly what she said but the customer totally paid for it. She made it sound like it was already broken.

So yeah they'll fist us hard if you don't fist back.

Honestly these engines aren't that hard to work on. Lot of info on here to get you through.

Where I'm getting at here is if you do your own work then you'll be way more satisfied and know that it's done right. This site is the best tool you have.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
@jaybird

My cams have some minor minor "scoring" there. I think they'll be okay. They were not loose what so ever before I took them out. But I could be wrong. might help with lubing, I'm not sure. Need some help on here about that.

So on our cams, where they are secured down, are they suppose to be smooth or have tiny little grooves in them? I wouldn't even call them grooves.

The cams and oil journals should be smooth. I was looking at the cylinder pics in the post prior when I posted that. You should be able to run your finger nail across them without feeling anything.

Do you have pics?

Yeah I'll take some when I get to the shop. I'll post them up in my thread. Fwiw the lobes are smoother than Hugh Hefner.

The oil journals are I'm assuming the little grooves in between the sets of lobes. What I'm talking about is where the cams are held in place. They look machined. But they are not smooth like the the lobes but not gouged up. Dang I hope this doesn't mean I need head work. The part where the cams sit on the head is the same way. I do believe they are all like that. 😞

In jaybird's pics where he is pointing to, is where it's not perfectly smooth. If that the oil journals. I think it's suppose to be like that (not perfectly smooth) but I could be wrong. I'm sorry it's kind of hard when I don't have a pic just yet.

Take it back.

That's exactly what I'm doing! I called the dealership yesterday and expressed disappointment in the reassembly and all that was found missing( I some how found restraint and used tact). I wasn't able to get the owner on the phone, but I did get the General manager, who manned up ,and said that they would take care of the whole thing. We'll see how it goes, I have an appointment next week.

Technically, you're supposed to use sealant on the VCs, but, I think the FSM technically calls for Fujibond Grey, however, most I know use UltraBlack with good results (Permatex Ultrablack). There's a gasket AND silicon in there, just FYI, and that's what it's supposed to be.

Looking at those pictures -- Did they replace, or otherwise relocate that clearly chewed ground wire? Also, pull and drain that throttle body hose when you get a chance. FWIW, I'm actually missing two engine to trans bolts -- there's 6, plus the studs and guide pins, which are more than enough to hold the whole thing together.

Technically, you're supposed to use sealant on the VCs, but, I think the FSM technically calls for Fujibond Grey, however, most I know use UltraBlack with good results (Permatex Ultrablack). There's a gasket AND silicon in there, just FYI, and that's what it's supposed to be.

Ok, good to know, but it's leaking. Am I correct to have them reseal that again? over the course of time documenting the oil consumption issue ( prior to tear down) the car was checked for external leaks and this was not one of them.

Looking at those pictures -- Did they replace, or otherwise relocate that clearly chewed ground wire? Also, pull and drain that throttle body hose when you get a chance. FWIW, I'm actually missing two engine to trans bolts -- there's 6, plus the studs and guide pins, which are more than enough to hold the whole thing together.

I will ask about the chewed ground wire when I bring it in, I didn't see one.

As far as the engine to tranny bolts go, I'm happy to know that it isn't a safety issue for myself or the car, I still want them to put the bolts in.

I will ask about the chewed ground wire when I bring it in, I didn't see one.

As far as the engine to tranny bolts go, I'm happy to know that it isn't a safety issue for myself or the car, I still want them to put the bolts in.

Those bolts may not have lined up or been able to thread. At least, that's what happened with mine. :spin:

Yeah, it shouldn't run very well without that other ground, but then again, I'm not entirely sure. Go on up to your local autoparts store and grab some 4G 12in negative cable (should have ring terminals on both ends). You'll need about 3. Shouldn't be more than $5 apiece.

Ok, good to know, but it's leaking. Am I correct to have them reseal that again? over the course of time documenting the oil consumption issue ( prior to tear down) the car was checked for external leaks and this was not one of them.

Yeah, if there's oil coming out of that cover, they did it wrong. From the looks of that job, it's FNG work.

Those bolts may not have lined up or been able to thread. At least, that's what happened with mine. :spin:

Yeah, it shouldn't run very well without that other ground, but then again, I'm not entirely sure. Go on up to your local autoparts store and grab some 4G 12in negative cable (should have ring terminals on both ends). You'll need about 3. Shouldn't be more than $5 apiece.

again that's on the dealership to replace, I paid $1200 for the tear down and reassemble. Car seems to be running good!

Archived