LegacyGT.com

Trunk Issues

06 Legacy

Ok so the only way my trunk will pop is if I hold the lever on the floor by the driver side seat. This only started a couple weeks ago and is getting really frustrating. Does anyone one have any advice they are willing to share?

Thanks in advance

So just to make sure I understand, the only way you can open your trunk lid is if the lever inside the car is being held up, correct? If you lift up the lever one time, the trunk will not stay in the popped, unlocked position?

If so, the first thought that comes to mind is that one of the two black metal crossbars in the trunk might be broken. Easy thing to check first before troubleshooting the trunk release cable and latches.

crossbars.thumb.jpg.10e0c5d92670e8fadc783b4945fdcc66.jpg

mine also has a problem where the lever must be pulled while opening the trunk (2 people needed) or you need to have a little pressure on it while hitting the button so it unlatches. Ill have a look at those corssmembers but the trunk opens with ease as long as a little pressure is begin bulled up on it.

To apexi yes to both of your questions. When I looked at the two crossbars in the trunk neither one was broken but the rear bar isn't connected to the little plastic piece. When I connect it and try to pop the trunk the back bar come free from the plastic piece and it won't pop open or unlock.

From what I remember I don't think my bars connect to any plastic pieces. These bars are basically springs that push/lift the trunk upwards.

The more I think about it, I'm not sure what else the problem could possibly be. The latch clearly works if you can hold the lever up, and open the trunk. It sounds like the problem is that the trunk isn't popping up once you pull the lever in the car, and those black crossbars should be exerting the pressure to pop the trunk when the lever in the car is lifted.

*Just as a FYI too.. I've never removed those bars myself, but I looked into removing them and replacing them with trunk struts to get rid of a horrible squeak my trunk had. (I talk about it in this thread http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/horrific-trunk-squeak-07-spec-b-221088.html?t=221088)

To make a long story short, like removing the coil springs off your struts, those black crossbars are very dangerous and can really hurt you if you try to remove them improperly. Just wanted to throw that out there for safety sake. Speaking of that thread I linked to above, I have a few pictures of where the black bars sort of connect to the trunk lid hinge. I think that area is hidden behind the trunk carpeting. Maybe something is wrong there?

Here's another thread where people talk about this issue as well

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/trunk-release-works-poorly-156788.html

Archived