LegacyGT.com

05 2.5i blown motor

I have to replace the motor in my 05 2.5i. What year range and model range will be a direct swap into my car? I know 05 was kind of a weird year for the car so I was unsure which year ranges would be okay. I would enjoy hearing from people that have done the swap. Thanks for any help. :)

I have a 2007 avls with rod knock and scoured walls/pistons and am going to go with a late 90s ej25d short block with my 07 heads, intake, and ecu mostly becuase I can get one for $250 vs 1800 for a used ej253. There might be a slight loss in power with the lower compression ratio but that doesn't bother me. I will let you know how that goes. If your heads are good, you should be able to use a ej25d or ej251. the only 2 years that ej253 had your piston/head combo is the 99 impreza rs and the 2005 legacy. 2006 and up will not work with your heads as they have domed pistons. If you use the complete long block engine with avls heads from a 2006-2010 it would run with out the avls connected but not very smoothly without a 2006-2010 ecu.

Archived