LegacyGT.com

New Stage 2 Installed, smoke and rubber odor.

Aloha.

I just very recently had my long waited stage 2 components installed earlier this week.

Parts include:

Grimmspeed lmt ed. Ceramic coated and Catted DP

Grimmspeed Ceramic coated UP

INVIDIA Q300

Innovate Wideband AFR

Defi Boost gauge.

Anyway, while in the shop, techs were stumped on the reason of this "Rattle-can" noise when I had the DP installed and did a few start ups and drive-bys. It only happened with the GS DP And not the OEM DP. So We all Thought it would be something was tapping on the exhaust end of the fins. Removing the DP, the techs told me to give it a little gas when the car was still up on the lift So We can all see Where the noise was coming from. Nothing was sounding, and I noticed a little smoke fuming out from the passenger side of the engine bay. I was worried at this point. I latter called Grimmspeed about the problem and they asked if my box came with the instruction. It didn't So they knew it was a first shipment. They explained to me that I need to modify the plate.

The DP had fitment issues due to the divorced Wastegate plate (Yes, instructions that are now installed into the shipped boxes will stated that you need to modify or bend the plate to provide clearance for the Wastegate flap.) But this was targeted towards 05-07 guys. You WILL need to do the same if you run a VF46 as well (08-09.)

So after this was cleared, one of the techs bent the plate to clear the Wastegate flap from tapping "rattling" it. The car ran fine and quiet afterwards. You can hear that turbine spooling like a diesel truck. Beautiful music to my ears. Now the problems are this:

After coming home from work or.... work, I notice that after I shut the car off there is a little smoke that creep out from under the Hood. And Also a bit of burnt rubber smell, like when you rub your tire against the fender. What could this be. After seeing the smoke when the techs told me to give it a little gas to try and diagnose the problem, I feel that I may have done a bad move by listening. I researched online about the rubber smell being the AC drain hose. But I don't see it above the DP.

Could any of you please direct me the correct way as in to what I need to look into? I am lost and I pray by little turb didn't choke out. These smells come from Where the Turbo is located and Also, slightly out the exhaust pipes. Am I in deep fecal creak here?

Kai

Some DPs do touch the AC drip line so you will have to cut that back a bit if it is touching. Your ceramic coating coule also smoke a bit while it cures for a few days or more. That in addition to your melted AC drip line, you'll have to clean up what you can and let the rest burn off. Without looking at it, it is difficult to see what the issue could be though.

Common problems with Stage 2, (especially after so many thousands of miles on the OEM parts around it) begin with the passenger side CV boot.

I can tell you for certain that within the week of my car running again, I started to smell hot rubber. I ignored it, for the most part, as things were still burning off their layer of grease from being handled, installed, reinstalled, etc. However, the passenger side CV boot isn't used to the excess heat that comes from an aftermarket DP; if it's old enough, the increase in heat will cause the rubber to deteriorate faster, start to melt, and then, of course, spew grease everywhere.

You can get under and take a look at it, or, since you can't really do anything to stop it, just keep driving it until eventually pops, and then just be prepared to spend the <$100 to have it rebooted. It's not a terribly expensive or complex process. ALWAYS reboot the OEM axle, no need to replace with reman (or OEM!) unless it's actually damaged.

Mahalo Tris for directing me to note the CV Boot. Damn thing is slick and shine Looking due to the heat. Would a heat wrap minimize this scenario?

Yes, or below. Either will do.

I did this to my downpipe to help protect the CV boot. Haven't noticed any rubber smell. I have checked it a couple times and it seems fine. Only been stage 2 for about a month though.

http://i.imgur.com/HaKIXq7.jpg

FWIW, I bought a Beck Arnley kit from Rock Auto and fixed the boot for $30. Don't attempt unless you have an impact gun for the axle nut. Sure you can get it off with a breaker bar, but save your back from injury.

Yes I'm Going to need to repair that CV boot and axle. I Can see splats of grease on the DP. Gah... gunnah be late on mortgage but a car never takes a break. No car = No money... but then again It's a double edged sword. Heh.

Oh and Also, what DEI wrap fit the solution? Is that the Titanium '2 x 50'?

Common problems with Stage 2, (especially after so many thousands of miles on the OEM parts around it) begin with the passenger side CV boot.

I can tell you for certain that within the week of my car running again, I started to smell hot rubber. I ignored it, for the most part, as things were still burning off their layer of grease from being handled, installed, reinstalled, etc. However, the passenger side CV boot isn't used to the excess heat that comes from an aftermarket DP; if it's old enough, the increase in heat will cause the rubber to deteriorate faster, start to melt, and then, of course, spew grease everywhere.

You can get under and take a look at it, or, since you can't really do anything to stop it, just keep driving it until eventually pops, and then just be prepared to spend the <$100 to have it rebooted. It's not a terribly expensive or complex process. ALWAYS reboot the OEM axle, no need to replace with reman (or OEM!) unless it's actually damaged.

Tris is right on here.

One more way to combat the issue is to look for a DP blanket. No, not a snuggie with two holes in it :lol:

Basically just a big turbo blanket for the upper half of your downpipe. Having insulation from the turbo hotside, all the way down to the lowest portion of the exhaust ensures that the majority of heat escapes under the car, rather than into the engine bay. Depending on cat location, you may have fitment issues, but my Thermal Zero DP blanket fits perfectly with my Cobb catted DP. Running the Perrin turbo blanket, essentially a PTP.

23NoTMIC.thumb.jpg.b3d2bcb5557150ac53dea581cdc6880a.jpg

31underside.thumb.jpg.67244f95a1a1796a671f97cfbde40f68.jpg

LW's spec. B / YT / IG

Yes I'm Going to need to repair that CV boot and axle. I Can see splats of grease on the DP. Gah... gunnah be late on mortgage but a car never takes a break. No car = No money... but then again It's a double edged sword. Heh.

Oh and Also, what DEI wrap fit the solution? Is that the Titanium '2 x 50'?

I think this is appropriate --

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ei3X6OZ1nx8]Pepper-Rent - YouTube[/ame]

Archived