LegacyGT.com

VF52 swap now overheats

So in short went to install catless uppipe last week found my vf40 destroyed I got the car 4 months ago.

So got online found a guy selling VF52 said he took it out at 20k to upgrade even sent it to me in the blouch box...turbo looks new no shaft play pretty simple installed it and car started overheating.

Its smoking or burning coolant from under or around turbo constant stream of smoke from that area. I even bleed the coolant system car never overheated before prior to this. I double checked all my connections and even replaced some clamps with worm clamps.

I'd recheck all the water line connections both ON the turbo, and back to the engine. There may also be a coolant leak inside the turbo, as well.

Are you tuned for the VF52? I see no mention of a new tune. .

How 'destroyed' was your VF40? Sounds like a new shortblock might be in your future; see my Shopping List and build thread.

You need to make sure there turbo coolant tank is full of coolant, check that and report back.

MrTris will have to help you more, I'm headed away in a few minutes.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

So after some digging around the lower turbo coolant hose had some slits in it on the bottom connector which i didnt even touch. I replaced it with a 1ft piece that curves around nicely no kinks at all and used some worm clamps and tighten them really good.

So i bleed coolant again both reservoir drove car around using torque app temp didnt past 203f and went as low as 190f i barely drove past 20mph.. . But after like 40 minutes i got some smoke from under behind turbo area...yet temperature was at 197f steady.

Before i turned car on i check the banjo bolts for any leaks or moisture around turbo and saw none and checked the lower turbo coolant reservoir hose on both ends because i tugged on it a little to get it back in reservoir.

So after some digging around the lower turbo coolant hose had some slits in it on the bottom connector which i didnt even touch. I replaced it with a 1ft piece that curves around nicely no kinks at all and used some worm clamps and tighten them really good.

So i bleed coolant again both reservoir drove car around using torque app temp didnt past 203f and went as low as 190f i barely drove past 20mph.. . But after like 40 minutes i got some smoke from under behind turbo area...yet temperature was at 197f steady.

Before i turned car on i check the banjo bolts for any leaks or moisture around turbo and saw none and checked the lower turbo coolant reservoir hose on both ends because i tugged on it a little to get it back in reservoir.

check the banjo bolt? REMOVE the banjo bolt =) save your turbo

They should make october not breast cancer awareness mount, but banjo bolt awareness month (save the turbos!)

2017 Subaru STI

2008 Subaru Legacy 2.5i limited

Remove which the coolant banjo bolts? What are the torque specs for them?

We don't remove the banjo bolts themselves, what we're referring to is the filter inside them. Rear of passenger side head, and the driver's side front, which is behind the timing cover.

Remove which the coolant banjo bolts? What are the torque specs for them?

Tight enough.

Just make sure its tight, if it leaks you can alway tighten it a little more.

Did you use new crush washers ?

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

No i did not replace the copper gaskets. but also it is white smoke does that not mean coolant being burnt? I did not think this was regarding an oil problem.

PS i have driven the car for about 20 minutes a couple times and no overheating or smoking.

temperature stays around 190f

PS i have driven the car for about 20 minutes a couple times and no overheating or smoking.

temperature stays around 190f

The banjo bolts aren't just for oil, they're used on the coolant lines, too.

If you've got no more smoke, you might be out of the woods, so to speak.

Are you tuned for that VF52? Very important...

Smoke from coolant has a sweet smell to it. Smoke from oil, well that stinks pretty bad.. Should be easy to tell the diff.

doesnt burning oil have some color to it? or gray haziness at least? this is pure white smoke...

and it makes me like choke up and cough when i smell it.

IMO you need to get under the car with a good flash light. Look at the back of the passenger side valve cover and CV boot. If nothing there, look higher up...

Get the idea ?

IMO you need to get under the car with a good flash light. Look at the back of the passenger side valve cover and CV boot. If nothing there, look higher up...

Get the idea ?

:whore:

Could be that or your oil return line from the turbo. The OEM clamp is flimsy..

Archived