LegacyGT.com

newb; A few questions on intercoolers and exhaust

Happy owner of an 05 5eat legacy gt. Pretty much stock, with only a perrin filter(stock box), mid pipe exhaust, and tein s tech lowering springs. I have a leak in my stock tmic that causes a whistle at or above 4500 rpm and am looking at replacement options.

My goals for power adders are probably only going to take me to stage II. I'm only looking at getting an uppipe(catless), downpipe(Catless) and a custom tune and tranny cooler(4454 for safety).

With that said I’ve narrowed my intercooler search to either an avo tmic, perrin tmic, or a racer x fmic. These all offer better than stock cooling and are all the same relative price.

From what I’ve read in these forums the avo and perrin aren’t the easiest install and it seems dumb to pay what I would pay for a fmic on a tmic that will a) get heat soaked in hot weather and b) cause about the same amount of time and frustration to install.

My concern with the fmic is that it hangs too low. I haven’t measured my front bumper but I can tell you that my side skirts are a little less than 4 inches from the ground; I definitely have to use a low boy to jack up the car.

So finally to the questions, for my power goals is a fmic overkill? Surely someone has installed the racerx fmic on a lowered car? How is the clearance? Is the avo or perrin tmic (because it is honestly a coin toss to me, although I’m leaning more towards the perrin) as annoying to install as I’ve read in a few discussions on these forums?

Last question; as I said before I have midpipe exhaust, when ordering a dp I’m assuming I need to get a full dp and not the shorty version? I am looking at invidia for the uppipe, and invidia or turboxs stealthback for the dp. I’d prefer a bellmouth that is blacked out like these two offer so that at first glance no one will notice it is aftermarket. Sorry for the novel, thanks for your time in advance.

Nice copypasta.

Kidding, thanks for following directions. :D

Don't bother with the catless DP -- doesn't net you any gains, and actually, isn't any better for your motor, either. Go with the Cobb catted, you won't be disappointed.

Most cars with FMICs are lowered, so, I don't think I understand what your issue is. . ?

Catless or hi-flow catted don't really make any difference power wise between them. The only difference will be the smell with the uncatted vs the catted. I picked up a catless simply because I got a once in a life time deal for an UP DP and catback but otherwise I probably would have chosen the catted route. As for Intercoolers I would suggest going with whatever your personal preference is. If it was me I would go with an upgraded TMIC simply because then you have no issues with cutting your front bumper or losing your foglights or anything along those lines. Between AVO or Perrin thats entirely up to you to decide which one you want. Also welcome to the forum.

2005 Vader Wagon

Material Tests on Ringland Failure Piston

I should have held off and purchased a wagon instead of the spec.B

Thanks for the input, the only cars I saw with the racerx fmic installed on his group buy page weren't lowered so I was a little afraid of how close that would put the piping to the ground. I have to drive in colorado winters so heavy chunks of ice come into play...I bought this car lowered by the way. Thanks for the input on the catted dp as well, I've put hi flow cats (magnaflow) on other turbo and non turbo cars that i've owned and they never seem to last...usually due to a rich mixture. How long have you guys been running yours? are they holding up to your emissions tests or do you swap back the oem pipe before hand?

Thanks for the input, the only cars I saw with the racerx fmic installed on his group buy page weren't lowered so I was a little afraid of how close that would put the piping to the ground. I have to drive in colorado winters so heavy chunks of ice come into play...I bought this car lowered by the way. Thanks for the input on the catted dp as well, I've put hi flow cats (magnaflow) on other turbo and non turbo cars that i've owned and they never seem to last...usually due to a rich mixture im assuming. How long have you guys been running yours? are they holding up to your emissions tests or do you swap back the oem pipe before hand?

I just did some reading, it sounds like it will be fine for my states emissions, I'll just hang on to the stock pipe if it doesn't work. Thanks again for the quick response, and if you guys know of anyone looking for a yakima ski rack w/ fairing lemme know, sorry I had to ha I need mod money and would prefer to do all of it at once

Since you arent changing you your turbo I wouldnt spend money on a FMIC. First you should get that stock TMIC and pressure test it for leakes prob a end-tank leak or even easier than that a stock TB hose leak. To fix that you can replace with an after market hose or stay stock and remove the two rubber sleeve, grommet, boot thingys on either end. The get oiled up and slip out under pressure typicaly around 4000RPM+

Exhaust wise go for the catless UP make sure you do the resistor mod, and if you cant find a shorty, the Cobb, Invidia or TXS are all good option solid build quality.

I have Invidia catless up/dn on my 05 wagon. fits great, I use the grimmspeed 2X thick 3" gasket at the mid pipe joint.

When you install the up pipe, use 10mmx1.25 botls to botl the turbo to the up pipe. throw those studs away.

The dealer will sell you the bolts, they are the same ones the hold the up ipe braket to the block.

By bolting the turbo, or starting the bolts, leave them loose, it makes my IPR tmic a breeze to install.

WHen you remove the old tmic only lossen the clamp at the tmic, not the TB. stickt he new tmic in the hose, lay the tmic on the turbo so it's close. Tighten the screw clamp on the TB hose. Now tilt the tmic and start the rear bolt and tilt more ans start the front bolt. assemble the support bracket and start those bolts. the ntighten the tmic to turbo bolts, remember its going into aluminum. then tighten the support bracket bolts then tighten the turbo to up pipe bolts.

takes longer to type this then to do it.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

ya..i've made the mistake of over tightening on aluminum before, i'll be careful thanks for the heads up!

My tune shop has already diagnosed a leak coming from the intercooler and as someone mentioned earlier it would probably be better to stick with a tmic until I change out the turbo. Which if I do, would definitely prefer a vf52:)

So i'll keep my eye out for a good condition used or new perrin or avo tmic.

Thanks for all the input guys, I've got my heart set on a catless up (invidia) and a catted cobb dp.

...what is everyone's take on getting a turbo inlet as well?

ya..i've made the mistake of over tightening on aluminum before, i'll be careful thanks for the heads up!

My tune shop has already diagnosed a leak coming from the intercooler and as someone mentioned earlier it would probably be better to stick with a tmic until I change out the turbo. Which if I do, would definitely prefer a vf52:)

So i'll keep my eye out for a good condition used or new perrin or avo tmic.

Thanks for all the input guys, I've got my heart set on a catless up (invidia) and a catted cobb dp.

...what is everyone's take on getting a turbo inlet as well?

I would rather install a clutch than the Turbo inlet that is my outlook :lol:

However a new inlet is not a bad idea the stock rots and will tear right at the turbo creating a huge post MAF leak and a lean condition. My 09 LGT had this problem I swap the inlet with a OEM piece but I thought about a SAMCO or Perrin inlet.

You can always use a stock catless UP(07-09) if you are looking to save some cash as they are catless. Look into Invidia and Turbo XS for catted downpipes as well

Really?!? that much of a bitch eh? dam well we'll see, the priorities are up down pipe tune and tmic for now; thanks for all the info guys I appreciate you, I'll keep my eye open for a stock uppipe that doesn't sound like a bad call at all, does it flow the same as an aftermarket? I'm assuming the difference is probably negligible just curious if you know or not

I have a catless up pipe and downpipe and there is a noticeable flow difference as well as sound out of the exhaust. Much more free. The main reason for the catless up pipe is cat in the up likes to fail and then you are out a turbo as well so it is just better to have nothing before your turbo.

2005 Vader Wagon

Material Tests on Ringland Failure Piston

I should have held off and purchased a wagon instead of the spec.B

Archived