LegacyGT.com

Timing Belt Replacement Cost

I just got a quote for $1,000 from a local specialty shop in Frederick, Maryland including all parts and labor for the timing belt replacement. They will replace the timing belt, cam/crankshaft seals, all pulleys, and the water pump. I received a quote from a local dealer in Tyson's Corner that wanted around $1,800 ($900 for parts, $900 for labor). Hilarious. My father was good friends with the parts dealer at a BMW dealership in Philadelphia. The parts markup was insane.

Anyone have any recommendations for this service in the DC-area? The Frederick shop is FAE (Foreign Auto Excellence) and has good recommendations.

My 1995 Legacy Wagon has 162,000 miles on it and the timing belt and water pump has never been changed. It was inspected by the prior owner at 60K but wasn't changed and hasn't shown signs of wearing out. We put about 1,500 miles on it a month.

The car has started to rust a little around the wheel well but other than that the car is in good condition and it makes sense to do it.

Those prices are crazy! I once got estimate of $900 for my 2.2 liter '978 Legacy from Brown Subaru in Manassas. Most local shops should do timing belt, all pullrey, seals and water pump for $700- $800.

I went with a friend who is a mechanic and ordered my own parts and it was $700.

I had mine done about 5-6 years ago at Agile Auto in Bel Air, MD. It was around $900-$1000 if I remember correctly to replace the timing belt, water pump, all the fluids, spark plugs, spark plug wires, and they also fixed a cv axle at the time.

Archived