LegacyGT.com

Valve Cover

Hi, I an new to the forum and new to Subaru's. I bought a 2008 4dr legacy about 2 years ago and it has been great!

Last month I noticed some missing and faltering then the check engine light came on with a p0304 code, misfire in the number 4 cylinder.

So I put some new NGK plugs in and the missing got better. It now only misses when the engine is cold in the morning. I have a new set of NGK wires to install but while replacing the plugs I noticed a large amount of oil on the spark plug boots, so after researching here a bit I realized that the gaskets needed replaced. I ordered up a gasket kit, FelPro, and went at it today. With plans of getting the valve cover gaskets, grommets and spark plug boots all finished so I could put the new plug wires on...

Well after a few hours my knees were killing me and the only thing i got accomplished was removing a bunch of ancillary parts in order to get what I thought was enough room in order to get the valve covers out... man that is tight in there!

I got all six bolts out on the drivers side and and seven or on the passenger side but still can't figure out how to wiggle the cover itself out of there in order to clean it up and install the new gaskets.

Any help would greatly appreciated!!

I am in the middle of a bunch of upgrades and while doing my engine mounts i noticed that my passenger side valve cover gasket was leaking. Luckily I have a ton of stuff off the car so it was a piece of cake to replace. I did jack the engine up a few inches to make sure i had plenty of room. Good luck.

Which felpro kit did you buy? The one I got from advance auto parts for my '09 was the wrong kit. Gee-otto posted a few tips in my link below, and also created his own guide in the second link below.

my thread

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/felpro-50561-vc-gasket-advance-auto-202755.html?t=202755

gee-otto's how to

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/valve-cover-and-plug-tube-seal-guide-206386.html?t=206386

Got'em both out, shew that is a tight fit. The bracket above fuel injectors and the fuel injector wire clips were the hold up. I hope I can get the covers with gaskets on back in there OK tomorrow!

Should I use some RTV sealant just to help hold the gasket in place during installation?

No problem. The 2005 turbo models do require liquid gasket in certain spots, as shown in the attached image.

The non-turbo's don't call for any liquid gasket, I don't think it could do any harm to add a little if you are trying to hold the gasket in place. I'm no gasket expert though, just my opinion.

2005.thumb.jpg.c169e524faec3593495279e07d3c8656.jpg

Archived