LegacyGT.com

Differential Question.

I have an '08 SpecB to my knowledge I have a Torsen Rear Differential from factory. Is this any different than the Rear Diff. in STi's?

I know there is an updated locking kit for STI's to make them more aggressive that works on SpecB's so I would assume so.

The question came up when I found an STI diff. (from an '08) for sale for very cheap but couldn't remember if it's the exact same diff and not worthwhile for any reason.

Any wise words appreciated.

Yeah I read the sticky and all it says is "The 07+ spec b comes with a torsen/helical in the rear already. But if owners want, they can swap in the STI clutch type read Diff."

It doesn't say which STI Diffs have clutch type diff. (all?) or how much of an actual upgrade it is. From personal experience clutch types do feel way better but the upgrade FAQ is just very vague. If I can get an upgrade for very cheap I'm all for it, but if it's a mild upgrade and I'm better off saving my money for something better I will. Also I guess it would be nice to know if anyone has previously done the swap and have some of their thoughts on the matter.

And yes I agree. open front Diff. sucks majorly, this just happened to land on my doorstep.

If you go to the sticky for "oppossedforces" at the top of the very first forum here. you can selcect the STI and SpecB and see the rear diff's parts.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Yeah I read the sticky and all it says is "The 07+ spec b comes with a torsen/helical in the rear already. But if owners want, they can swap in the STI clutch type read Diff."

It doesn't say which STI Diffs have clutch type diff. (all?) or how much of an actual upgrade it is. From personal experience clutch types do feel way better but the upgrade FAQ is just very vague. If I can get an upgrade for very cheap I'm all for it, but if it's a mild upgrade and I'm better off saving my money for something better I will. Also I guess it would be nice to know if anyone has previously done the swap and have some of their thoughts on the matter.

And yes I agree. open front Diff. sucks majorly, this just happened to land on my doorstep.

Both the 08 Spec B and 08 STI use a Torsen rear diff. 04-06 STI used plated(clutch). It's not worth the swap unless you are doing serious rally racing where you might get a rear wheel off the ground.

As mentioned earlier, the biggest bang is putting in a front LSD.

Nothing like a race track to find the weak points in man and machine.

"Good Judgement comes from Experience. Experience comes from Bad Judgement"

Archived