LegacyGT.com

Rust under the door sills

Anyone else encountered this? I have a tiny bit of rust showing on the two panel joints that are under the front door sills. I've sanded and POR-15'd the right side. I'll colour over it with some touch-up paint to blend everything in. I'm also going to leave the sills off so the rust-proofing guys can load up the rocker panel with oil.

I have a theory that the edges of the sill plate, which are quite sharp, have worn through the paint on those panel edges and allowed the rust to start.

Driver's door:

IMG_20141008_154903.jpg

Passenger door with POR-15:

IMG_20141008_154928.jpg

IMG_20141008_154922.jpg

Check the bottom of that door too. Mine had a little rust where where the outer door skin is sealed inside under the bottom weather strip.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

You just sanded the rusted areas down and applied por? Is that all you need to do? I have a few spots near my sunroof that i'd like to seal. Just looking for advice.

If you research POR-15 you'll see the process. You clean the area, degrease, apply their Metal-Prep treatment (neutralizes any remaining rust and creates a zinc-phosphate coating), and then paint over with the POR-15 paint.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Archived