LegacyGT.com

No air coming out of vents after running AC too long

I just noticed this problem last week on our way back from a beach trip. We usually have the AC cranked really cold(anywhere from 67-71F). What would happen is after a while, there would be no air coming out of the vents but you can hear the blower still going and the indicator shows the blower at full blast or somewhere near there. After turning it off for a couple minutes, and turning it back on, it would work again.

Does anyone know what's going on?

This happened in my old Camry. The diagnosis was that a leak somewhere in the air tubes that run to the vents was letting moisture in, which condensed in the tubes. After running the air conditioner for a certain amount of time, this moisture freezes and blocks the tubes up, preventing air from passing through. If the car was left off for several hours, the blockage would melt and air would again be able to pass through, but of course only for a limited time before freezing again.

The only way to fix this, if you have the same problem, is to spend a ton of $$$$ to completely rerun all those line from the air compressor to the cabin, since it is impossible to tell where the leak allowing moisture in is.

I just noticed this problem last week on our way back from a beach trip. We usually have the AC cranked really cold(anywhere from 67-71F). What would happen is after a while, there would be no air coming out of the vents but you can hear the blower still going and the indicator shows the blower at full blast or somewhere near there. After turning it off for a couple minutes, and turning it back on, it would work again.

Does anyone know what's going on?

Recharge the AC. There is ice in the AC coils that blocks the air. Even a small amount of refrig loss in the AC can cause this, particularly in high humidity conditions. This is a known problem.

When you turn the AC off, the ice blockage melts

It's just like a home AC freezing up.

"Belief does not make truth. Evidence makes truth. And belief does not make evidence."

Wouldn't it be the lines(refrigerant) that freeze up and the compressor would cycle(or possibly cause the motor to struggle more)? I've experienced low refrigerant before; it never froze at the heat exchanger but usually the lines to/from the condenser...thus blowing hot air.

It should also be noted I had checked the A/C pressures about a month or two ago after I got it back from the shop(using a manifold). Everything looked fine.

Is the condensation drain clean and draining under the car properly will its running? I've seen drains plug up and cause a lot of different issues. Coils are the normal spot for ac to freeze up as well. Seen many freeze up in homes from clogged air filters.

after some rethinking this and coming back to the topic, I realized that this happened to an older honda I have. had to recharge the ac and clean out the ductwork in the dashboard. but everyone else beat me to it

Archived