LegacyGT.com

removing extra charcoal filter?

found this on NABISCO. my '11 outback also has one as PZEV is mandatory in washington. i found something but am very skeptical

"Don't fall for the "PZEV"(what's the sense for a 2.0l car when the monsters with the 5.7l don't have it?!) - get rid of the additional charcoal air filter (just break and remove it, no other way) and replace the original with a K&N filter. I can't describe the difference! The car accelerates much faster, you feel the power and on top of that - 3-5 mpg more, especially on the hwy! Had a 900 miles trip to Champaign-IL, averaged 38 mpg on a 65 mph average-how's that for the 36 mpg at 55 mph official data!? "

i guess the only difference is the engine will be a little louder. is there any downside to removing it? you have to break it...

that 2nd filter is attached to the back of the air box. it is permanently held in place with plastic. i was told it is only in PZEV models. PZEV is mandatory in this state. no power increase but if it improves the fuel economy by even .1% itll be worth it.

Archived