LegacyGT.com

Anyone know what this connector is for?

Its a 2006 5MT Legacy GT, recently purchased it and was under the car looking at the condition of the bushings and found this guy covered in tape...

It has two pins, and goes into the loom that goes through the firewall. Any ideas? I figure it may just be for an option I don't have, or for the 2.5i/auto tranny, but wanted to check just in case I'm missing something. TIA.

IMG_20141006_214018702_HDR.jpg

That sure does look like the egt sensor connector. Do you have an aftermarket (or sti) uppipe? Does it have a sensor attached to it? If not, the previous owner has actually done you a favor and swapped out the stock uppipe, which has a catalytic converter in it for one that does not. The stock cat also has an exhaust gas temp thermometer sensor to make sure the cat doesn't get hot enough to melt. But no up cat means no need for the sensor. Yours does not appear to have a resistor installed, which means that it's very likely that you also have an aftermarket tune on your car. Also probably good news. Can you find anything else that's not stock? Downpipe? Previous owner likely returned the car to mostly stock to sell it, but left the up change as good insurance for the next owner.

Good news is that sounds like previous owner sort of knew what he was doing. Bad news is, he probably wasn't driving it like a little old lady. Regardless, you got a pretty great car. Enjoy it! Welcome to LGT.com.

Is the resistor in that mess of electrical tape somewhere?

This is why when doing the EGT resistor mod you clip the EGT wire, solder and heat-shrink the resistor to the wire and plug the connectors together.

OP, do you have a CEL on now?

Archived