LegacyGT.com

Good Replacement for the Gen4 LGT?

I really like the 2015 WRX, the much better gas mileage, and upgraded performance/interior has me greatly considering it, but insurance for the thing is so incredibly expensive! I think the last quote I got for it was something like $160/170 a month! I'm currently paying $80/mo for the '05 LGT

In about the same price range I was looking at a used 2013/2014 Cadillac ATS AWD 2.0T. The interior looks great, performance seems pretty impressive as well and it also offers AWD. Insurance is still expensive, but slightly cheaper at $135/mo.

I was wondering if anyone else had any new recommendations for something that's AWD, in the 260HP+ range, and better in gas mileage than the LGT that's currently averaging around 20 mpg :-/

I'd like to stay in about the same size car if that's possible and hoping to find something in the 27K range.

Anyone have any suggestions on some fun cars to look out for that might be a good alternative?

I'm not sure what the prices are like in your area, but a Taurus SHO could be fun, though probably not a significant improvement in mileage. Otherwise maybe a G37x or a Volvo S60R, though those may also be tough to find in your price range.

The A4 is a pretty common find and you can certainly mod to boost the power into the range you're looking for.

335xi? They are 300hp, awd, can be had with a manual, and probably get marginally better mpgs. You might be able to get one CPO in that ballpark. I know i was looking at 2011 335d's that were in that range and those are usually loaded to the brim.

I think a more pertinent criteria OP should provide is the cost of ownership preferred ...

Hahahaha, yes.

While I do love the BMW's I worry that the later cost of ownership may be quite high once the warranty expires (I'm expecting to have about 2 years of warranty for whatever I end up getting).

I figured the ATS' powertrain is used on a number standard Chevy cars, so maintenance may not be that bad (or is that just wishful thinking?)

The WRX would be ideal for this reason as parts for the Legacy have been rather reasonable as well.

The G37X, S60 T6/R, IS350 AWD seem like great options too, I think it would have to come down to the end cost as they don't seem to get nearly as good gas mileage (I'm stuck driving roughly 2 hours in stop and go traffic, thank you 405 and with the Legacy I'm averaging about 19/20 mpg).

To be honest I personally find an IS350 hard to pass up. It's a very well rounded entry-level luxury vehicle, and reliable to boot from what I know. For me personally that's what sets it apart from the rest in its class, IF nothing else. Lexus consistently ranks highest in customer satisfaction and low problems with their vehicles, by a fair margin. It may not pack the strongest punch in its class, but it's no slouch either and you get a fair amount of car for the money. Around here in the Dallas area Lexus is quite popular and for that reason there's plenty to pick from used and for damn good prices. If you're still shopping in the realm of Subarus, I personally think the new 3.6 Legacy would also fit the bill nicely. If you get a WRX you have to consider premium only gas, the fact that you may itch to mod it, it's turbo so whatever comes with that territory is on you, and the insurance is killer.

I figured the ATS' powertrain is used on a number standard Chevy cars, so maintenance may not be that bad (or is that just wishful thinking?)

I couldn't really say at this point. All of our maintenance is included for our lease period, but I couldn't really see maintenance costs being too crazy. Like you basically said, current Cadillacs all just pull from the GM parts bin (mostly). Stuff like brake rotors and pads seem very reasonable, depending on grade.

Ever consider the Buick Regal GS? They only offer a 6mt in the FWD version, though. But if you can deal with an automatic, you can get it in AWD as well.

Most people seem to be above GM products these days, without even giving them a test drive, so resale value on a used one will be pretty low. I think they look awesome and I wish I could find a practical fit for one in my fleet.

Ever consider the Buick Regal GS? They only offer a 6mt in the FWD version, though. But if you can deal with an automatic, you can get it in AWD as well.

While looking at the 2015 Legacy I mentioned to the salesman that I was considering a Regal GS. He asked if it would be the last car I was planning to buy... a little age related slap in the face. But, comparing the 2, I was really unimpressed with the Legacy - it just seemed very mainstream, Accord/Camry like.

I do appreciate the features of the 3.6R, but in comparison with the Regal GS AWD, I decided to buy a 2015 Regal. There are a couple features on the GS I wish I had, doesn't have fog lights & comes with 19 or 20 wheels - I'd prefer the 17. I ordered a AWD GS - it should arrive next week...

Archived