LegacyGT.com

3D Printing Development Thread

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

has anybody finished up or have one of the defroster or driver vent guage pods that keep being thrown around in there? They are exactly what i'm looking for my new 08 Spec B. Any help tracking one down would be very much appreciated.

I am still available to print anything - I have an army of 3D printers (own a business doing this). SLA, FDM, and Full Color ("sandstone"/gypsum) is what I have in house but have the ability to get anything done if you prefer another method.

I no longer have my 05 GT so I can't take measurements, but if anyone here can do it for me I can produce a part that look MUCH better than that part on Facebook and for less as there is no reason for it to be out of CF Nylon. It can be made from PET or PETG (but hey if you want exotics, I've got that too)

Seeing that this thread has grown to over 40 pages, I wanted to shift the focus a bit. I have expanded my production capabilities (3D Printer, 60W laser engraver, and CNC Router) and will continue to offer my services to the community. I want this to be less about me selling products, and more about developing products for the community. Having said that, I will publish my files on Thingiverse for anyone with a printer to use. In the spirit of Open Sourcing, I'd encourage others to do the same (but of course it's not required). I will be available for some design work, that i'm capable of, and would encourage any of you that can help out with design or ideas to pitch in. I will also continue to make my services available, not for a profit, but to cover costs (shipping, materials, machine costs). Thanks to all of you who have and continue to contribute, you are the ones that make the community what it is.

Do you think it would be possible to 3D print a larger hood scoop?

I'm not sure all the costs associated with 3d printing, but I imagine a project that large would take a substantial amount of material. Why not just get one of madrigs excellent scoops? They are about as big as you can get without getting into the silliness of the wrx

Do you think it would be possible to 3D print a larger hood scoop?

You might get away with it, but the hood scoop is 22" wide, so you would need to print it in two parts and bond them together. It will also take a lot of material and time for prototyping the fitment. You would also have to support the inside of the scoop which adds time to the print, or it would fail and look like a plate of spaghetti. You'll also need a material that can withstand UV or it will break down. It would also likely end up weighing a lot more than the original did.

The largest 'cheap' build volume printer I'm aware of is something like a CR-10S S5 Ultra Large 3D Printer at 500x500x500mm.

So yes if you really want to, but it's not likely worth the time or the money to invest, but at least there's a learning opportunity. Good luck if you decide on this venture.

Edited by freaksavior

It'd be better to print the scoop vertically - rotate it back 90 degrees so the front faces up, then there won't be a need for support. I've been toying with the idea of printing something besides a scoop just to fill that spot since I've got a FMIC.

• 2 weeks later...
It'd be better to print the scoop vertically - rotate it back 90 degrees so the front faces up, then there won't be a need for support. I've been toying with the idea of printing something besides a scoop just to fill that spot since I've got a FMIC.

I have seen oil cooler relocation to where the TMIC was located. That was kinda different but a good idea.

• 4 months later...

Hi there,

Sorry for the offtopic. I'm going to buy a large-format prosumer 3D printer for printing automotive components. I am considering to buy a Modix Big 60 or a GCreate GMax 2. They also include a really low-budget Chinese Wanhao D9 (big print sizes worst resolution), but I guess it is mainly suitable for hobbyists.

The choice is driving me crazy cause I've no experience with those brands. Has anyone experience with large-format 3D printing? If yes, what brand do you think is better?

Thanks for any advice

Best, Adam

Edited by cww516
removed link

Hello Adam, or Michael.

I have no experience with those printers but I do have some experience with spammers trying to raise their Google rank by posting links to their web sites at various forums with brand-new accounts, so I'm a little suspicious.

(link to evidence also removed)

Edited by NSFW
better late than never

Hi there,

Sorry for the offtopic. I'm going to buy a large-format prosumer 3D printer for printing automotive components. I am considering to buy a Modix Big 60 or a GCreate GMax 2. They also include a really low-budget Chinese Wanhao D9 (big print sizes worst resolution), but I guess it is mainly suitable for hobbyists.

The choice is driving me crazy cause I've no experience with those brands. Has anyone experience with large-format 3D printing? If yes, what brand do you think is better?

Thanks for any advice

Best, Adam

The only large format printer I can recommend is the Fusion 3 F410. It's fantastic and extremely overbuilt. I also have a zcorp z650 (it's for sale btw) of you are looking for full color. Imo though, a.couple or more mk3s from prusa is an incredible value and rarely do I use my custom dbot printer (over 20x20x30) as it is just too big and slow (even with a boden setup). If you are committed to extremely large build volume though, custom is MUCH cheaper but can be a pain in the butt with getting stuff right.

Stay the heck away from wanhao, been garbage since the beginning (I would know, I used to BRIEFLY sell them).

If you want to talk big printers though pm me and I'll send you the info to my 3d printing business and I will get you in touch with my brother who is a SME in additive manufacturing :)

Edited by cww516
removed link from quoted post

• 1 month later...

Got this thing almost to the point of being ready. Fit nice and snug in bare plastic, but after I blasted, primed and plastidipped the vent adapter it didn't fit anymore. Should be one or two more iterations before it's ready to release to you guys.

The vent adapter is designed to be a modular base, with a threaded boss and ball and socket interface to allow whatever attachment you want to be pivoted. Wire pass-through down the center of the ball, and exits inside the dash to hide wiring. The shot here is the holder I made for an old Galaxy S2 that I wired a voltage regulator into in place of the battery, to use as a full-time BtSSM gauge pod.

Many many thanks to SoobyDoobyDoo - I sat on this thing like 75% complete for months and months, and he finally took the final steps to get the thing to the point where we could start actually test fitting and lit a fire under my ass.

IMG_20200531_214325.thumb.jpg.40f13b9351403caa7ec974b24fed6358.jpg

IMG_20200531_214238.thumb.jpg.9499297a155f4aa101b6f87e4b394f07.jpg

Ha thanks Awful! You did all the hard work, I just added a few minor details. I don’t know how you did what you did but you got the magic touch. This is a really nice piece you made! Been meaning to get a hold of you about some other ideas I had to help with the final design and maybe with the printing process.

Ps-Speaking of lighting fires under asses-the other piece you helped me with last year is finally ready to be installed in the car. Lol only took 9-10mos...

• 4 months later...
Got this thing almost to the point of being ready. Fit nice and snug in bare plastic, but after I blasted, primed and plastidipped the vent adapter it didn't fit anymore. Should be one or two more iterations before it's ready to release to you guys.

The vent adapter is designed to be a modular base, with a threaded boss and ball and socket interface to allow whatever attachment you want to be pivoted. Wire pass-through down the center of the ball, and exits inside the dash to hide wiring. The shot here is the holder I made for an old Galaxy S2 that I wired a voltage regulator into in place of the battery, to use as a full-time BtSSM gauge pod.

Many many thanks to SoobyDoobyDoo - I sat on this thing like 75% complete for months and months, and he finally took the final steps to get the thing to the point where we could start actually test fitting and lit a fire under my ass.

Hi Guys, is this piece ready yet ?

• 5 months later...
I've been through the search on this awesome thread many times and come up empty. Has anyone done a 3d print blanking plate for the ash tray? I'd like to run the stereos USB done there, as well as a small voltage LED.

How big can you go with these printers, Are unique bumpers out of the question? Because styling is one thing we are surely missing with the Leggy

I don't think anything short of industrial stuff, if even, can do a one piece bumper. You could maybe do a multi part and weld it together? Not worth it, honestly, it would be way cheaper to learn to fiberglass.

Or import one of the 7ish bumpers available from Japan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...
It was talked about. I do have a V3 scanned that I will be making a mount for once these are done. I was planning on doing a v2 and v3 style mount.

Have you tried looking on any of the 3d printing sites that host all kinds of models?

Got some pictures of the single pod with wires in it. The gauge I had was from my truck and has really long mounting studs on it so it doesn't fit all the way in. Other than that everything fits awesome and there is a lot of room for the wires in the tube. With that being said I think the single one is good to go :)

http://i855.photobucket.com/albums/ab114/gearhead_18/Vent%20pod/IMG_20160601_213306053_zpskzqe2lmd.jpg

http://i855.photobucket.com/albums/ab114/gearhead_18/Vent%20pod/IMG_20160601_213311855_zpsedmwcfw0.jpg

http://i855.photobucket.com/albums/ab114/gearhead_18/Vent%20pod/IMG_20160601_213327523_zpsl9zhxmt3.jpg

http://i855.photobucket.com/albums/ab114/gearhead_18/Vent%20pod/IMG_20160601_213419723_zpspjjv8rcv.jpg

http://i855.photobucket.com/albums/ab114/gearhead_18/Vent%20pod/IMG_20160601_213425896_zpsxuoo1ato.jpg

http://i855.photobucket.com/albums/ab114/gearhead_18/Vent%20pod/IMG_20160601_213433723_zpsyqffkpq4.jpg

Here's a picture of one of the older revisions of the dual pod with the small wire tube going to the middle of the gauges with the same gauge. Still looks like there is quite a bit of room for wires. However, the guy that has the current dual one said that there wasn't enough room for wires to both of the gauges which doesn't make sense. Waiting for some pictures from him.

http://i855.photobucket.com/albums/ab114/gearhead_18/Vent%20pod/IMG_20160601_213940016_zpszpyssh5s.jpg

Just wondering whatever happened with this? Was there ever a file shared for this gauge pod?