LegacyGT.com

3D Printing Development Thread

Feel free to modify the design if you need to for clearance also.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

I'm using Cura so I'm trying to figure out how to enlarge the holes without having to do a lot of sanding.. my wideband came in today it's not as a tight fit as the boost gauge but it's still very tight

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So while this thread is at the top, did anyone ever upload the stl/step file of the vent gauge pod? I've spent way too long digging through this thread with no luck so far.

IMO this is the cleanest place to mount gauges and I'm planning on printing my own at some point. I don't really care how many gauges / what size gauge, I'm mostly just looking for a model of the vent so that I don't have to start from scratch.

If anyone has the model I'd really appreciate a Solidworks .sldprt or a STEP file.

I'm using Cura so I'm trying to figure out how to enlarge the holes without having to do a lot of sanding.. my wideband came in today it's not as a tight fit as the boost gauge but it's still very tight

How much larger do you need the gauge holes to be? I'll modify it for you and send you the file. If you try to scale in cura I think you're gonna have a bad time.

How much larger do you need the gauge holes to be? I'll modify it for you and send you the file. If you try to scale in cura I think you're gonna have a bad time.

I want to say 1 mm but maybe half.. I printed it in PETg checking with the caliper I'm seeing 50mm for all 3 my gauge sizes are about 52mm I tried to force one in and you can hear the layers cracking due to the stress

I just tried a spare Equus gauge and it went in with no problems so my gauges I have are a bit thicker then the normal

Edited by 1-3-2-4

I want to say 1 mm but maybe half.. I printed it in PETg checking with the caliper I'm seeing 50mm for all 3 my gauge sizes are about 52mm I tried to force one in and you can hear the layers cracking due to the stress

I just tried a spare Equus gauge and it went in with no problems so my gauges I have are a bit thicker then the normal

Is that 1mm on the radius or diameter? I'll try to get it posted for ya later today if I can remember.

Here is the modified file. You will have issues with the thin walls on the extreme right and left sites likely but I cant make them any more robust. simply no room.

This link will be valid for 48 hours.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7xZSe3f50KzLVdlTDVBaGlCTDA/view?usp=sharing

I figured the left and right sides would be hard but I expected that printing it now, thanks I will report my findings I don't think I should have any issues now.

I'm not sure if street legal ever posted the file. I know he had a ton of work getting it where it is. And it's really not well suited for fdm printing with consumer grade printers.

Did these ever materialize? Is there a file somewhere out there so I can print one for myself? This is really all I want and I have a 3d printer to make it happen.

No, this hasn't happened yet. Streetlegal's spec b was totaled so he kind of stopped working on this. I have been talking to him so people can get this if they want one. It won't exactly be cheap because it has to be printed on a professional 3d printer due to some of the angles and parts having to be printed.

I'll start a thread to get a list of people who are interested when I hear back from Streetlegal.

Perfect!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What's the depth of your deepest gauge?

imagejpeg_0-3.thumb.jpg.dfd354a18aeca29f1bdc67484de060f9.jpg

638001590_newdual.thumb.jpg.b77269c5b3fc843644db0c9c89383578.jpg

install.thumb.jpg.173b5e1917114eac599a89daaa19b868.jpg

Edited by freaksavior

That's a real shame about his car. :(

But I wonder if the design could be split into pieces to make it work with consumer printer. Like, print the bottom part upside down, then print the pod section with the gauge face facing down. Then use glue or screws to put them together.

Edited by NSFW
typo

I have been talking to him so people can get this if they want one. It won't exactly be cheap because it has to be printed on a professional 3d printer due to some of the angles and parts having to be printed.

But I wonder if the design could be split into pieces to make it work with consumer printer. Like, print the bottom post upside down, then print the pod section with the gauge face facing down. Then use glue or screws to put them together.

While it's not an easy print for FDM printers, breaking it into two pieces should make this easy. This was really my plan all along. I think the best approach initially is to have it press-fit together (like a pvc coupler). Although I would strongly suggest printing this in ABS or some other non-PLA material. I would be weary of it melting after leaving this exposed to the sun in the summer or pumping heat through it in the winter.

I'll finish the design if someone can get me a STEP or solidworks file.

I'm considering making a limited run of machined cubby gauge pods. I still have some testing to do on feeds and speeds for my cnc router but I'm fairly positive I can get great results even in aluminium. This would just be the triple and double with post pod, as my machine is only 3 axis and i can't manage the undercut from the slanted gauges. I'd estimate the milled versions would be in the $125 range for aluminium, and 85$+ for acetal / delrin / HDPE. Is there any interest in milled versions?

http://emergentprinting.com/

Sweet website discojon! Pretty cool to have all that at your finger tips... I bet its a good time to just think something up, some wild design, then make it a reality.

Unfortunately tho, the cubby guage business is small scale man.. And the price point MUCH lower. I do hope you get some takers, just wanted to point out to you that the average cost is 40$ bucks- for any material.

I bought mine on here, thought it was abs of some sort for 20$ bucks shipped... Turns out its aluminum and came powder coated.

No, this hasn't happened yet. Streetlegal's spec b was totaled so he kind of stopped working on this. I have been talking to him so people can get this if they want one. It won't exactly be cheap because it has to be printed on a professional 3d printer due to some of the angles and parts having to be printed.

I'll start a thread to get a list of people who are interested when I hear back from Streetlegal.

What's the depth of your deepest gauge?

i will have to check when I get home.

I'm considering making a limited run of machined cubby gauge pods. I still have some testing to do on feeds and speeds for my cnc router but I'm fairly positive I can get great results even in aluminium. This would just be the triple and double with post pod, as my machine is only 3 axis and i can't manage the undercut from the slanted gauges. I'd estimate the milled versions would be in the $125 range for aluminium, and 85$+ for acetal / delrin / HDPE. Is there any interest in milled versions?

http://emergentprinting.com/

I may have some work for you.... Can you do small runs in aluminum or FR4?