LegacyGT.com

3D Printing Development Thread

k, I just found this thread, and as a Mech Eng design engineer with access to a full shop (and machinists to make my desires) I've got a few things already done, but are fairly specific.

2 gauge cubby pod: to hold 2 52mm gauges (specifically designed to PLX guages) and still close the cubby door (for parking in creepy places). I can't promise it'll hold anyone elses gauges though. I also made 2 other revisions that have usb ports (one revision with 1 port, 1 with 2 ports) built in for logging/flashing. it seemed a good idea, but having cables coming out the dash sucked, and I used some "expensive" usb port parts available on Mouser.

Clock housing redo: I hated the reflection off my clock face, it was super scratched up, and the mounting parts were cracked/broken. I got a 1/8th thick piece of smoked plexi and a printed part to mount it to and all was well. I also removed the front panel "clock set" buttons, so a little rewiring is needed, and have to remove the dash piece to reset the clock for daylight savings or after battery replacement. Also, I only have a clock, so i'd have to modify the part for anyone with the other version of clock that has temp too.

- In thinking about it right now, could add a spot to hold a cellphone in landscape for GPS navigation or something...

AUX/USB/test connector center console panel: This is to give me a spot to have a usb plug into for datalogging/flashing, and a different way to connect the green test connector for flashing. it's all located with the radio AUX port in the center console. a lot of extra parts needed to make this all work, but I've got it listed in my build thread (as with the others too). I will admit the USB port part is pretty specific, but I can link the specific cord you need.

Let me know if anyone's interested and I can supply the files to the community. I can also do a more in-depth writeup of the other items that need purchased, and how it all goes together.

ALSO: If anyone knows of a good way to get a small digital readout/display for oil temp and/or pressure (or whatever), i'd be up for modifying the clock housing to mount gauge readouts...

i'm also working on a AVO TMIC to stock splitter adapter, so I can remove my engine cover and still have a seal with the stock hood splitter.

P1020057.thumb.jpg.72e133d67a1ad7afe73012d63b031ca8.jpg

Untitled.thumb.png.5f0b4f5adb2c9caf0cfe8e7faf9f8259.png

P1020064.thumb.jpg.1e3e36a3c48c6abeffcca1b296a88ed5.jpg

Edited by Flinkly
* Build Thread * 26.53 MPG - 12 month Average *

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

k, I just found this thread, and as a Mech Eng design engineer with access to a full shop (and machinists to make my desires) I've got a few things already done, but are fairly specific.

2 gauge cubby pod: to hold 2 52mm gauges (specifically designed to PLX guages) and still close the cubby door (for parking in creepy places). I can't promise it'll hold anyone elses gauges though. I also made 2 other revisions that have usb ports (one revision with 1 port, 1 with 2 ports) built in for logging/flashing. it seemed a good idea, but having cables coming out the dash sucked, and I used some "expensive" usb port parts available on Mouser.

Clock housing redo: I hated the reflection off my clock face, it was super scratched up, and the mounting parts were cracked/broken. I got a 1/8th thick piece of smoked plexi and a printed part to mount it to and all was well. I also removed the front panel "clock set" buttons, so a little rewiring is needed, and have to remove the dash piece to reset the clock for daylight savings or after battery replacement. Also, I only have a clock, so i'd have to modify the part for anyone with the other version of clock that has temp too. In thinking about it right now, could add a spot to hold a cellphone in landscape for GPS navigation or something...

AUX/USB/test connector center console panel: This is to give me a spot to have a usb plug into for datalogging/flashing, and a different way to connect the green test connector for flashing. it's all located with the radio AUX port in the center console. a lot of extra parts needed to make this all work, but I've got it listed in my build thread (as with the others too). I will admit the USB port part is pretty specific, but I can link the specific cord you need.

Let me know if anyone's interested and I can supply the files to the community. I can also do a more in-depth writeup of the other items that need purchased, and how it all goes together.

ALSO: If anyone knows of a good way to get a small digital readout/display for oil temp and/or pressure (or whatever), i'd be up for modifying the clock housing to mount gauge readouts...

Thanks for the awesome ideas and contribution. I'd be willing to print the parts for anyone that is interested.

I got a quote back on doing the 3d scanning and cad modeling.

$970

Now that wouldn't be too bad if I could get 10 people in at $100, heck, even cheaper if we got more!

There are plenty of folks here that can model. I have the capabilities to 3d scan with my kinect but the resolution isn't amazing.

I got a quote back on doing the 3d scanning and cad modeling.

$970

Now that wouldn't be too bad if I could get 10 people in at $100, heck, even cheaper if we got more!

Which project is this for?

• I Donated
Which project is this for?

If you could make a new cubby din that fit the nexus 7 2013 perfectly, i'd buy one from you in a new york minute. Shipping and currency conversion from Japan just doesn't make it worth it in my eyes

edit: I can even send you a nexus and a cubby din to get measurements off of if that will make this happen.

Looks like this one.

Or you can rig up a Kinect to do the same thing a lot cheaper ;)

There are plenty of folks here that can model. I have the capabilities to 3d scan with my kinect but the resolution isn't amazing.

You shouldn't need much more resolution than the Kinect. The key is to dimension correctly after scanning.

Oh really? I've got a friend with a xbox one Kinect! :D

Almost $1000 to scan and model? :lol: How big is it? I can probably just scan it here for you then send it back. We use a laser 3d scanner. Probably overkill on how precise it is ha

I politely thanked him for his time and declined. $1000 is way to much for something I cannot possible imagine would take more than a few minutes to scan. From there, it seems like it would be easy to manipulate a cad file to implement the slots needed for a nexus to slide in.

13" at the widest section at the top, tapers down to 11.5 at the bottom. AC tunnels are about 9" deep (that's what she said)

Edited by freaksavior

Is there enough room between the vents and ducts in a regular cubby to mount? cause then we just need to redo the face of that dash piece, and re-use the vent, duct, etc.

does anyone care if the clock goes away? I mean, a nexus or a new radio both have clocks...

and it'd probably be better if we just made it dual din size, and then people could adapt from dual din to whatever flavor.

that all sounds pretty easy to me, if it fits between the vents/ducts. just get a $20 dollar dual din cage, redo the face to accept the cage and OEM ducts, some paint and screws, voila.

Edited by Flinkly
* Build Thread * 26.53 MPG - 12 month Average *

Clock housing redo: I hated the reflection off my clock face, it was super scratched up, and the mounting parts were cracked/broken. I got a 1/8th thick piece of smoked plexi and a printed part to mount it to and all was well. I also removed the front panel "clock set" buttons, so a little rewiring is needed, and have to remove the dash piece to reset the clock for daylight savings or after battery replacement. Also, I only have a clock, so i'd have to modify the part for anyone with the other version of clock that has temp too.

- In thinking about it right now, could add a spot to hold a cellphone in landscape for GPS navigation or something...

i'm also working on a AVO TMIC to stock splitter adapter, so I can remove my engine cover and still have a seal with the stock hood splitter.

Nice work man. I use thin OLED glass displays in some instruments at work and can give you the contact for a direct supplier... though you have to know what you are doing to program them. We have an EE for that so I don't ever worry about it. ME here as well.

Its crazy where technology has brought us. I bought my first 3D printer for $15k and that was USED! It was the size of a fridge. I later sold it for $11k when I noticed the technology start to evolve. Best move I ever did.

Edited by CasopoliS

Just got a new and hopefully final revision of the vent gauge pod from Kred. It's looking great and i'll get a sample printed over the weekend. Anyone want to do a test fit for me?

I'm also going to be upgrading / installing a 2.8W laser cutter / engraver after the holiday so there is that to look forward to.

1531075445_Ventpodtop.png.fde4b7121bc71e09294d3b5d7fc7b0d9.png

1686204291_Ventpodback.png.c42a61ca005d63042434b29fd7aecaa5.png

1782746995_Ventpodfront.png.224ee5a2855b6a48a233632cbf14f6e6.png

Edited by discojon

On printer and with quick post cleanup. This will have to be printed with a disovable support for a good finish and easy cleanup

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/12/21/505c94e20d4eba15c20ba2372455fe27.jpg

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/12/21/4b5d9fe2da1d3e6e19c0496389bd498f.jpg

Edited by discojon

I'm sure some of the 5thgen guys would appreciate some efforts as well if you have access to a 5thgen platform. Just a thought if you want to expand your skillset with the machine. Looks great to me!

5th gen is absolutely doable, I just don't have access to one. If someone wants to take on the design I'd be glad to work with them on prototyping

Just wanted to throw my hat in. I have a DaVinci printer that prints ABS and I can run it through an acetone steam bath to make it smooth if people want parts like that :) I'll just need the STL file(s) you want printed and than I can provide a cost estimate. And if you can provide your zip code I can give a shipping estimate as well.

just FYI. i do have access to inventor and solidworks at work and i can bust out 3d models pretty quick most of the time so if there is anything someone is looking for something (especially for the 5th gen since i have one) I'd be glad to take on some requests. and if I'm provided with critical dimensions it will happen that much faster and easier

Just wanted to throw my hat in. I have a DaVinci printer that prints ABS and I can run it through an acetone steam bath to make it smooth if people want parts like that :) I'll just need the STL file(s) you want printed and than I can provide a cost estimate. And if you can provide your zip code I can give a shipping estimate as well.

Did you hack yours to open source or build the Arduino cartridge EEPROM reset rig (so you can buy any filament and reload the cartridge)yet?

Also, if anyone is interested in selling their 3D print service... http://www.makexyz.com

Edited by compsurge