LegacyGT.com

Got a 3D printer....

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That pod looks good. Is there any physical room to rotate the gauges towards the driver a bit. Kinda like that one 3d printed pod from a long time ago?

I could try, how many degrees you want me to try?

What I would be interested in is having those outer edges be not flat. Obviously, they're like that because you've run out of room, but could they be closer together? Or would the gauge faces then be touching if any closer together. Just seems like the gap between them is wasted space when you're cutting off the edges.

Also, how's that depth look as compared to the gauge? Is there room to make the tubes less deep, more inset into the cubby? Seems like they're sticking out really far.

Please note: all criticism is intended to be constructive. This is all very well done and totally above my personal level. I'm impressed/interested.

What I would be interested in is having those outer edges be not flat. Obviously, they're like that because you've run out of room, but could they be closer together? Or would the gauge faces then be touching if any closer together. Just seems like the gap between them is wasted space when you're cutting off the edges.

Also, how's that depth look as compared to the gauge? Is there room to make the tubes less deep, more inset into the cubby? Seems like they're sticking out really far.

Please note: all criticism is intended to be constructive. This is all very well done and totally above my personal level. I'm impressed/interested.

It would be very difficult to move the pods closer together. We are literally using all the space available. Kred will chime in I'm sure. I'll check again tomorrow to see if the pods can be shortened any.

The outer edges have to be flat for the gauge pod to fit, no way around it for fitting 3 52mm gauges there side by side. Yes, the empty gauge pod looks like I could squeeze them closer together, but if you saw the gauges in there, you'd see that there's like less than 1/16", could be more or less depending on what brand gauges you have.

I see what you mean, it does look like the tubes poke out a bit farther than you'd want them. Obviously, the wider part of the gauge housing rests outside of the cubby, not even a close fit inside the cubby. If anything, they might be poking out a tenth inch or less than they need to be. Wish I could angle them toward the driver too, but I don't think there's room to make much of a difference if anything.

Bottom line from my experience with this is that the fitment is very tight when fitting 3 gauges this size in an LGT cubby bezel. There's little to no room to change things without having a fitment issue.

Can the outer most pod be printed to include a finger with a garmin ball on it for perfect gps mounting!! With 2 beautiful gauge pods to accompany it.

Also perhaps for those of us who might not use gauges and use out accessport can we get a design to include ( accessport mount, GPS arm)

In closing I love 3d printing technology! And members working together.

image.thumb.jpg.3a33d6ce87f9b3efe17aec362a9a7348.jpg

Edited by quick4dr

These pods look awesome for starters but to bad I don't have a gt.

Any way you might be able to print a set of rear bumper vents that replace the rear deflectors? The jdm bumpers have them but no one has been able to get them to fit. Someone tried to start making usdm ones and there was alot of interest in them.

I would offer to do the designing myself but this is way above my level of knowledge haha

Just throwing it out there keep up the good work it's great when furom members work together

Can the outer most pod be printed to include a finger with a garmin ball on it for perfect gps mounting!! With 2 beautiful gauge pods to accompany it.

Also perhaps for those of us who might not use gauges and use out accessport can we get a design to include ( accessport mount, GPS arm)

In closing I love 3d printing technology! And members working together.

Yea, that's something I could do. If you want one of these, you could PM me with the diameter of the ball needed, diameter of the finger right off the ball, length of GPS, and maybe a pic of the GPS so I know it doesn't crowd the gauges.

These pods look awesome for starters but to bad I don't have a gt.

Any way you might be able to print a set of rear bumper vents that replace the rear deflectors? The jdm bumpers have them but no one has been able to get them to fit. Someone tried to start making usdm ones and there was alot of interest in them.

I would offer to do the designing myself but this is way above my level of knowledge haha

Just throwing it out there keep up the good work it's great when furom members work together

I could make these if I could get ahold of a rear deflector for modeling.

gauge pods- vent on top dash- vent on dash between cluster and door panel- a-pillars- cubby pods-

dare I say Double Din??

I would put deposits down on some sort of vent pod and Double Din- Im sure Im not alone

double din!! Great idea

The issue with doing a double din is not the radio surround, its the integration if the HVAC controls into the faceplate. Printing it would be a non issue but integrating the usdm HVAC would be the trick. Separating the circuitry from the old radio would be the challenge. I'll do some research and talk with Kred and SVCdx about it.

9 inches? I'm thinking you should make exact replicas of the JDM spats, heck some AFFORDABLE eyelids would be great too. deff make some side rear bumper diffusers the ones kinda like the evos that just go on the bottom of the bumpers on the sides

"eyelids" are a stupid sticker for your headlights. How affordable do you need it to be? Would you like one dispensed to you from a coin-operated machine in the Walmart foyer?

"eyelids" are a stupid sticker for your headlights. How affordable do you need it to be? Would you like one dispensed to you from a coin-operated machine in the Walmart foyer?

I know I would.

As for the diffusers, you have to do a fair amount of post processing on most any FDM plastic parts to make them look as good as injection molded components. I'm not saying it shouldn't be done, just expect it to look odd until you get the sandpaper out.

OP, have you listed yourself on http://www.makexyz.com?

Edited by compsurge

With abs and an acetone vapor bath it would be possible to get a smooth finish but I'm not looking to get into that at the moment. If someone wants to try and finish one themselves I have no problem printing one in abs and letting them do the post production work.

stickers? fine... ill accept that. but i would like them to be more affordable than the $100 carbon finer ones I've seen online

• 6 years later...
The issue with doing a double din is not the radio surround, its the integration if the HVAC controls into the faceplate. Printing it would be a non issue but integrating the usdm HVAC would be the trick. Separating the circuitry from the old radio would be the challenge. I'll do some research and talk with Kred and SVCdx about it.

Hoping this is the right thread. Did you end up making double din fascias? I've got the mcintosh stereo that has hvac controls as a separate unit below, like the second photo, is it possible to get one like what's pictured in the other photo? That one locally costs $200aud. I know someone locally with a printer so might work better for me to purchase plans and get it printed myself. I'm from australia and these are the only forums I've seen even talking about 3d printing fascias.

01__47774.1583711336.1000.1000.jpg?c=2

9k1urxd.jpeg