LegacyGT.com

Plug n Play Aux-in mod for 2005 6cd radios

jazzymt

My setup is a Pioneer AirWare (just like the SkiFi) and a Dell Axim X50 powered with the same cigarette adapter (which is soldered to the cigarette lighter). Ground loop noise is present, but not for long.

Jazzy, I think you might have a valid point here. My system is portable, has its own battery, and is a 3.7V battery, so it is very likely that it holds its own ground and doesn't tie into the 12V ground of the car. Either way, isolation is the answer, and a safe bet no matter what the setup.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I had a problem with my Sirius humming at first, but I found that when the Sirius box is grounded to the chassis and not to a random ground wire this problem can be solved without a GLI installed. The Sirius system that I am using mounts a larger box in the trunk and a smaller display unit in car so I had a lot of grounding options (unused taps under rear seat).

JAZZY,

I'm done and it works! Took me a while, do not normally do this type of stuff. At you suggestion, I installed the ground loop isolater. I was pretty nervous when deep into the radio but took it one step at a time and it worked out. Sounds great.

Thank you for all of your hard work and making this an option for others.

Francis

Thanks guys. I get a good smile out of each time I hear install stories like yours. I'm actually just as thankful to Centerpunch that figured out where the signals were in the first place (I like good sounding XM too eh?) and am happy to have found a way to distribute that good idea and allow other Subaru owners to enjoy it.

I'm also UBER proud of my (so far) successful install instructions. I know nothing in this solutions is 'perfect', but so far it seems to have done the job well enough. :D

[CENTER][URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18504"]Subaru Plug & Play Aux-in Mod[/URL][/CENTER] [CENTER][URL="http://www.jazzyengineering.com"]www.jazzyengineering.com[/URL][/CENTER]

Another shout out to Jazzy! this setup works great and was fairly easy to install. with the MT I had the radio pulled in like 8 minutes. Did not remove center console. The only time consuming part is disasembling the radio. Entire job done in maybe 60-75 minutes without rushing. Instructions were pretty clear. Sounds awesome, much clearer than any FM modulator out there (even hardwired ones which I had in my 03 outback). Thanks again for your time and effort on this project, and especially keeping the price point very reasonable.

Mines up and running as well. I took out my FM modulator setup and installed this in place. Drilled a hole in the center console for the cable to pass through and it's good. Sounds so much better than the FM mod, it's amazing. I think I'll have to ditch the belkin line-out for a better solution that's less noisy, but the headphone jack does the job well for the moment!

Great work!

I think I'll have to ditch the belkin line-out for a better solution that's less noisy, but the headphone jack does the job well for the moment!

The Monster charger with the mini-jack output worked well for me in my old A4.

http://monstercables.com/mp3/productPageMP3.asp?pin=2132&LastPage=Monster%20iPod%20-%20For%20the%20Road

Well I just got finished, took me about 3 hours. I took my time though, wasn't in a rush. I tested it twice before I put it back together and the sound is perfect.

Two hints for anyone reading this that hasn't done it yet.

1) AT install: lifting the chrome piece, make sure you have your screwdriver properly shielded, I scratched my plastic even with using electrical tape. This piece is not held down using clamps, instead it is just wedged in there with tape/foam.

2) The clips in the back of the HU were tough. I think the instructions would help if it gave hints on which pieces to take off first and where to pull.

-1st should be the hazard clip, but use the clip on the inside on the HU.

Otherwise the instructions were very clear and perfect for most people. Thanks again for the great overall package, worth every cent.

So I got my kit a while back but I haven't had time to install it yet. I'm starting to think about it now, debating the merits of going 1/8 -> RCA (versatility) versus just a long 1/8 extension cable (fewer connections). I'm also thinking about whether to bring the cable up through the center cubby or the ashtray, and how/whether to mount the iPod somehow or just put it in the cup holder.

Then there's the question of which iPod connector to use. I like the Monster[1] one because it's supposed to have a clean line out connection unlike the Belkin[2], which includes a cheap-o amp. OTOH, the Belkin's line out is down by the ashtray connector, which is nicer than Monster's right under the iPod. Any other options I should know about? So many decisions... :)

Also, there's the ground-loop thing to think about. I remember reading somewhere that running a ground wire from the cig lighter's ground to the stereo's chassis could eliminate ground loops from that lighter. Can any of you electronically-minded people guess how likely this is to work? I'm willing to work a bit to avoid using a GLI if possible.

Soooo, any thoughts on any of this would be appreciated. :D Or I'll just do the install and tell you about it later...

[1] http://www.monstercable.com/computer/productPageComputer.asp?pin=2132&LastPage=Apple%20Products

[2] http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Product_ID=149006

Also, a while back there was some discussion about what we would want from a 2'nd generation adapter. Here's my list of general-purpose desires:

1. Personally I would prefer RCA connectors since they've got a larger contact area and thus make a more robust and higher-quality connection.

2. I would like to switch out the CD player audio entirely. I don't care about auto-sensing. I'd honestly prefer to have a manual switch since I won't change it *that* often.

3. Stopping the CD player from spinning at all would be groovy. dm.gif

Now for what I really want. I'm an iPod user, so I'm very keen on getting the HU controls to talk to my iPod. This would mean an iPod-only hack, but hey, it's my fantasy. In increasing order of Fxxk Yeah!:

1. Prev/Next track on HU work (maybe seek as well, but it's not crucial)

2. RDM button toggles shuffle on/off

3. RPT button toggles shuffle track/shuffle album

4. Disc select buttons select one of the first 6 playlists on the iPod :)

5. Text display shows track/playlist name and such :D:D

6. Prepares coffee for me when it's cold outside

BTW, this is all possible since the iPod accessory protocol has been reverse-engineered:

http://stud3.tuwien.ac.at/%7Ee0026607/ipod_remote/ipod_ap_new.html

Well ok, I guess the "prepare coffee" command isn't covered by the iPod accessory protocol, but you seem like a smart guy...

i heard about this over at the NASIOC forums (for Imprezas, if ya don't know). i will own an '06 WRX in the very-near future, and would like to line-in my iPod.

Jazzy, or anyone else really... would you know if your solution is applicable to the wrx HU's?

i have the feeling this subject has not been explored much and would be something most of you wouldn't be sure about. i'm not an electronic engineer in the slightest, so i wouldn't know how to go about getting you the specs you would need to decipher the compatibility to the Impreza's HU, but maybe we can begin a dialogue on the subject on the NASIOC forums and the resident experts to determine this??

if this solution IS compatible with WRX HU's, i'm IN!

thanks!

To answer the last question first...I don't think there's much chance this aux board works with the impreza HU. I dunno why mvigneau is advertising over on NASIOC. But, I'd love for someone to prove me wrong. Same goes for the Tribeca. The only 50/50 chance that it may or may not work on & I'm still hoping for is the 1CD Legacy/Outback radio. At least you lucky Impreza dogs can replace your radio entirely.

n8gray - I'd love to give ya some advice on ground loops, but I'm like 0 for 10 on suggestions. I also don't know jack about Ipods or accessoires just yet, but that may change...

As to the "future" board. Well...it's sort of in the future & funds are a tad tight right about now, but in a month or two, I probably will start work on it...and I'll probably make more than one version: a standard auto-sense aux-in and a fancy pants ipod controller...at least, that's what I'd like to do. Time will tell.

Thanks again for the complements too guys. That's the sorta thing that makes you want to keep prices down & do more next time.

[CENTER][URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18504"]Subaru Plug & Play Aux-in Mod[/URL][/CENTER] [CENTER][URL="http://www.jazzyengineering.com"]www.jazzyengineering.com[/URL][/CENTER]

Well, today I'm going to rip apart my belkin auto kit and do this with it:

http://www.mindspring.com/~pmbenn/iPod/cable.htm

I'll hardwire it to the radio's power harness so ground loops shouldn't occur. I'll let you know how it turns out!

If you check out post #112 of the first implementation of this idea, (which used that same disassembled Belkin cord), I still had a ground loop, which I solved with one of the Radio Shack thingies...

http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2936&page=12&pp=10

Centerpunch, where were you getting your power/ground from? I'm thinking about tapping right into the radio harness wires. The nice thing about having the connector disasembled is that I can correct the R/L audio swap from this end.

I guess I should go buy an RS GLI just in case.

For anyone dying to know (including me), I'm sending a board to someone with a 1CD headunit (2.5i) today to test it out & we'll have final word one way or the other Thursday (assuming USPS keeps up with their mail). I've just built up my parts stock again and should have assembled boards in stock for a good while longer.

Hope everyone else's week is going well...mine's been busy as hell.

Jazzy is the MAN. He shipped my Aux-in mod immediately after answering all of my stupid questions. Got it yesterday and just finished the install. His directions are spot-on, even for the electronics novice like myself. My '06 Outback has only 900 miles on it so I was hesitant to dig up the dash to do this install. The install went flawlessly and I now have my XM working perfectly.

THANKS Jazzy!!!!

Centerpunch, where were you getting your power/ground from? I'm thinking about tapping right into the radio harness wires. The nice thing about having the connector disasembled is that I can correct the R/L audio swap from this end.

I guess I should go buy an RS GLI just in case.

I either connected to the radio harness or to the cigarette lighter, I don't remember!