LegacyGT.com

Plug n Play Aux-in mod for 2005 6cd radios

jazzymt

Here's a place that sells a $26 iPod cord that terminates in 2 phono jacks, plus separate +12V and ground lead.

http://www.autosound2000.com/ipodadapters.htm

any way to order this stuff??

Only that actual page seems to work. All other pages do not work, so you cannot order or call.

"some say, his arms are made of coiled adamantium fibers. And that he tops his cereal with nuts and bolts. All we know is, he's called the Jose."

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

any way to order this stuff??

Only that actual page seems to work. All other pages do not work, so you cannot order or call.

Everything works for me:

Co Name: DavidNavOne

Address: 4119 Coronado Ave. Suite 4 Stockton, CA 95204-2336

Tel: 1-800-669-6139

Sales email: dnavone@davidnavone.com

try their mirror site: www.davidnavone.com

[CENTER][URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18504"]Subaru Plug & Play Aux-in Mod[/URL][/CENTER] [CENTER][URL="http://www.jazzyengineering.com"]www.jazzyengineering.com[/URL][/CENTER]

Hello,

Wow, what a lot of reading... I just spent last night and this morning catching up on 250+ posts! I was partially drunk last night, though, so not everything sank in. Maybe I missed the answer to my question:

Once you remove the plastic blocker and you can push downward on the FM/AM/CD/sat button, what does the toggle switch behind do? What's that attached to? Is there a Sat connector on Subarus anywhere in the world? Is that used for the Nav system that Subaru ignoramusly decided that only Legacy Automatic drivers would want (guys who want to shift would never want to know where they're shifting to...)?

For 99% of the time, a blank CD is cool. It's when we're a couple hundred miles from civilization, in the mountains, sleeping at a trail head, that light volume music is sometimes nice to have to go to sleep by, to compensate for the road-buzz I get in my head from driving for 16+ hours to get to my destination. Then you can hear the CD spinning - so I tend to use XM if I can (XM doesn't work well in deep canyons, dense woods, etc) or some other FM Mod'd music source.

Anyway, jazzymt, I'm interested in one of your boards for piping my XM in. With gmail.com, I'm carguy, if you can email me.

Thanks,

Joel Gat

Crew Chief

Sheehan Motor Racing

As far as I know, from everything I've read, the "SAT" light on the radio is not utilized anywhere by anything. Same goes for the 4th position switch...it's there, but we're not sure what it's for.. It looks like on the Japanese headunit, it might be used for their minidisc, but it's hard to know/tell w/o more info & better pictures. It's a mystery for us in the US.

As far as the blank CD...yea...it's not perfect, but it's cheap, simple and like you said, it will take care of 99% of our problems while we work on something better. I sent an invoice to your email & I hope it helps you out.

japan_radio.jpg.b9fa4320f0e884d7eb0b1d331b4133d5.jpg

[CENTER][URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18504"]Subaru Plug & Play Aux-in Mod[/URL][/CENTER] [CENTER][URL="http://www.jazzyengineering.com"]www.jazzyengineering.com[/URL][/CENTER]

i'm so excited. thanks, jazzy, for the really quick turnover. as soon as my sub arrives, i'll do the install (more like cause it to be done).

as i mentioned to you, i found this forum the day after i leased my 06 lgt at.

when i discovered the original thread about the impossibility of a hard wired aux input, i went on a real roller coaster ride.

i'll be putting a terk commander xm module in the cubby at the same time.

i'll post a report when it's all in.

you guys are incredible.

jai free

I sent an invoice to your email & I hope it helps you out.

Hello,

Cool beans. Payment sent... Can't wait!

So while I'm in there, any other things that I should be playing around with? Anything I should be looking at while I have the radio out? I'm thinking of switching the cig lighter to constant power so that I can attach accessories while I'm at base camp. I'm also thinking of bringing some switched and some constant power lines to connectors and leaving them around the area of the green test connectors so that I have taps when I need them. I'll probably hardwire in power taps for the XM at this time, too. Any other thoughts?

Thanks,

Joel

So while I'm in there, any other things that I should be playing around with? ... I'll probably hardwire in power taps for the XM at this time, too. Any other thoughts?
Yea, if you're using XM, it's a good time to wire in hard power if that's what you want. I used the cig lighter because it's only on with the car (how I want XM to work), but you may want it to work differently & depending on how you set up the cig lighter, might want to use something else like the accessory line on the radio. While you've got your trim apart, it's also a good time to run any other audio/power lines you might want hidden underneath the trim.

When you are playing a blank system I am sure it displays the disk number, but does it also display the track number and minutes/seconds?

Yea, I probably shouldn't call it a "Blank CD" because that sounds a bit like nothing's on it. It's actually an audio cd with one 75 minute track that's completely silent. So, it displays time & track number just like any audio CD. The one I'm shipping with my boards is actually data+audio CD and also has a PDF of the install instructions on it should you need to reprint them or get a better look at the pictures on your computer.

Just wanted to get some opinions from people who have gone from a wired FM modulator to Jazzy's direct connect. Just wanted peoples opinions on sound quality improvement between the 2 connection types.

I currently have a Sirius tuner connected via a wired FM modulator and wanted to get an idea of the quality of sound improvement I could expect.

-S

IMO, the improvement should be considerable... I used the Monster setup on my car for a few days, and it sucks, the audio quality fluctuates a lot and sometimes its hard to get a clean status. However, I live in SoCal so it might be exacerbated here.
"some say, his arms are made of coiled adamantium fibers. And that he tops his cereal with nuts and bolts. All we know is, he's called the Jose."

String Fellow,

The sound quality from the Jazzy Board is as close to CD quality as you can get and the fm modulator quality is as close to a pair of tin cans as you can get. I run an Ipod & Sirius system and I feel that the Jazzy Board is the best mod under $100.

Just wanted to get some opinions from people who have gone from a wired FM modulator to Jazzy's direct connect. Just wanted peoples opinions on sound quality improvement between the 2 connection types.

I currently have a Sirius tuner connected via a wired FM modulator and wanted to get an idea of the quality of sound improvement I could expect.

-S

Jazzy's direct connect is way better than the hardwired FM modulator. My car before this had factory XM and when I switched over to the Legacy and hardwired an FM mod. to use with the XM I hated the sound quality. With the direct connect my XM sounds like the factory XM in my previous car. You can't beat it for the price and the sound quality. Like foghat said; its as close to CD quality that you will get. I say buy it and you won't regret the purchase.

Another extremely satisfied customer over here. The install went smoothly with no problems at all, great instructions. And that navone engineering ipod connector is great, i would recommed that to anyone with an ipod. Now i just gotta figure out how and where i'm going to mount my ipod, any suggestions?

A+++++++ Jazzy

Well, I haven't started yet. However, my hat goes off to you for incredible craftsmanship and awesome directions.

what if i am using an avic-n2 headunit and the 6 cd is no longer functional? can i make the stock 6cd changer functional with this board? i also have a hardwired sirius fm modulator, could i truly hardwire that to the avic-n2? can both even be done at once?

what if i am using an avic-n2 headunit and the 6 cd is no longer functional? can i make the stock 6cd changer functional with this board? i also have a hardwired sirius fm modulator, could i truly hardwire that to the avic-n2? can both even be done at once?
What do you mean it's no longer functional? It depends on how you disconnected the headunit to use the N2... And if you have an N2, why are you using an FM modulator? Doesn't the N2 have aux inputs?

You could hook it up several different ways, but it comes down to which unit do you want driving the speakers? If you don't have aftermarket amps + speakers, I would think you'd want the factory headunit driving them and would use the aux board to input your N2 and the XM into the factory stereo. Otherwise, you could use your N2 as the radio tuner (AM/FM) (right?) and use the aux board to get you a line level out for the factory 6CD changer (all you have to do is hook up power to the factory HU & leave the speakers connected to the N2) and use the N2 as your amp + volume control.

Like I said, it all depends on what you're trying to do...

jazzymt, I gotta give it up for you man, I installed it tonight... your directions were PERFECT. Incredible detail. Hooked this up, coupled with my iPod cable (turns a dock cable to RCA and power). The sound is pretty much CD like. What a bargain this setup is.

Just hooked mine up tonight. The sound quality is excellent as everyone has mentioned. I had an FM transmitter before, and there really is no comparison. The only sound issue I have is that my songs are all different volumes, but I just need to spend some time in iTunes to fix that.

I had a few unique issues come up during installation that I hadn't seen posted before:

1) I had almost no room to pull out the unit because the hazard light plug was so tight, but once I got the hazard plug out I undid some of the tape holding the wires together and gave myself some room to maneuver.

2) The grounding wire for the radio (at least I think that's what it was - square black plug with one wire next to "7.5 ohm FM" on the heatsink) was the trickiest part. It took me a while to find the release, and it didn't help that this was one of the shortest wires.

3) No problem getting the sub grounding wire off the radio harness. That was easy.

4) The board came shipped with the 2" ribbon cable plugged in the wrong way. I was able to figure it out and plug it in right the first time by looking at the pictures on the install CD, but it caused a lot of confusion when I noticed that it seemed to be plugged in backwards at first. Jazzy, you might want to make a note of this in the install directions.

5) I used the inCase Dual Input Charger which has worked well so far. It's kinda big, but it has the line out, clean cable to the iPod (unlike the Monster), no cheesy line amp (unlike the Belkin), and you can also take it out of your car and plug it into the wall (unlike either the Belkin or the Monster). I noticed a little bit of ground-loop noise, so I'll try and pick up an isolator soon.

If there's talk about a next-gen setup for iPods, I'd love to see one with the song name and title scroll across the display. I saw that the iPod code has been hacked, so it seems like it could be a possibility for someone with the know-how and the time.

Being able to use the radio controls to change songs would be OK, but I think it's easier to use the iPod remote - I can change songs there without looking down.

Anyway, sorry for the long post but thanks again for the work Jazzy! I don't think I could have asked for a better solution!

5) I used the inCase Dual Input Charger which has worked well so far. It's kinda big, but it has the line out, clean cable to the iPod (unlike the Monster), no cheesy line amp (unlike the Belkin), and you can also take it out of your car and plug it into the wall (unlike either the Belkin or the Monster). I noticed a little bit of ground-loop noise, so I'll try and pick up an isolator soon.

Wow, good find! That looks ideal for this mod. (Here's a more interesting link: http://www.goincase.com/2004/prod_ipod/prod_iPod_charger.php ) However, I've plugged my Belkin adapter into the cig lighter in the armrest and haven't had any ground-loop noise at all. I wonder if there's some isolation circuit in there after all. It seems like people who "hardwired" it have had problems but people who just plugged it in haven't. Let us know if you have evidence to support or contradict this theory.... :)

Lubeman & jsalicru, glad your new installs went well. Sorry for the confusion Lubeman on which side the contacts were facing on the ribbon cable, but it doesn't actually matter. The ribbon only has contacts on one side, but the plugs have contacts on both sides. The only thing you have to make sure of is that one plug lines up with the other plug.

A bit of an update for y'all - I'm almost out of my first batch of boards...time flys when you're having fun eh? 4800 soldered holes later... :) Anyway, interest is still plenty strong, but I'm nowhere near a "next step" solution, so I'm going to order more of these simple boards to keep up with demand.

Due to the resounding success of this board, I'm also committing now to make every possible effort to develop a next generation. One that is still 100% plug and play, and takes no silent CD...those are the only certainties so far. I'd like to also include:

1) Adjustable autosensing (1s, 5s, 10s or something like that for nav vs. music)

2) Song name display & control of iPods. I'll have to look into compatibility between the mini, nano & standard generations, but this is still a goal.

3) Serial in/out for mp3, dvd, mpeg4 or whatever control + display for the carputer folk (this is dead last on the priority list, but I'd like to use it myself some day)

Ideally, this will all be on a somewhat modular board so that I can get a working aux in first, then add other stuff to it like ipod & carputer compatibility with plug in, or solder on additions without holding up the show for people that just want a simple, clean aux-in and nothing more.

Thoughts, suggestions, comments are welcome... ?