LegacyGT.com

aftermarket clutch mileage Poll

MaStaMooN

How many miles out of your AFTERMARKET clutch?  

26 members have voted

1. 1. How many miles out of your AFTERMARKET clutch?

• 0 - 10k miles
    • 11 - 15k miles
    • 16 - 20k miles
    • 21 - 25k miles
    • 26 - 30k miles
    • 31 - 35k miles
    • 36 - 40k miles
    • 41 - 45k miles
    • 46k + miles

Uggh.. what to do, what to do.

The more I think about it, the more I think I'm just going to go back to stock. Being that the 05's were push or pull, do I have the option to go with an 07 lgt smfw/clutch? Or do I have to go with a certain WRX clutch to stay SMFW?

My vote is in the 11-15k range, not there yet but do not see my clutch lasting past that.

08 LGT specB with clutchmasters fx350. I read somewhere shortly after my install last February, where someone who installed this clutch ended up never wanting to drive their car due to the ways this clutch had issues. I don't remember who that was, but I experienced the same thing.

Clutch has ever inconsistent engagement points on the pedal, chatters so hard that you will think the motor is going to jump up out of the engine bay, and right about the time you feel like maybe the clutch has 'broken in' or is getting real consistent, you're gonna realize that its life is 70% over. :spin:

I have right about 10k on my fx350 and it feels the most consistent as its ever been, but my engagement point is super high on the pedal travel and I get a light chatter/vibration in 5th and 6th gears under full power (indicating loss of holding).

If I had paid for a cheap discount auto replacement clutch, it would be a different story, I spent almost $700 for pressure plate and clutch disc, but luckily did my install myself. This clutch to me is not worth the $700.:mad:

I have found something positive to a slipping clutch.

Having to watch how I apply pressure to the go pedal, I have gained 2mpg over the last 3 tanks of gas.

Still haven't decided on a clutch. And thus far this poll isn't helping me decide. DO YOUR JOB POLL!!!

Spec 2 clutch or Southbend 2 I think it is.

find Moddictions threads in the 4th Gen forum. He's going through the same process.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I had an OEM put in the car in january and it slips A LOT. I think I only have like 6k miles on it maybe 10k at most. Stock power it doesn't slip but stage 1 it does a lot. I just am trying to get it through the year and then next year either do a 6MT swap or another clutch with more grab than stock.

I had an OEM put in the car in january and it slips A LOT. I think I only have like 6k miles on it maybe 10k at most. Stock power it doesn't slip but stage 1 it does a lot. I just am trying to get it through the year and then next year either do a 6MT swap or another clutch with more grab than stock.

Crazy -

I have a 2008 Outback and a new OEM clutch was installed last year by the dealer. It has about 18k on it. I was at stage 1 for a year. No slipping. And now I am at stage 2 and still no slipping through the e-tune process.

I don't launch my car, but I do floor it any chance I get.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Just picked up my sedan with new Southbend clutch, tsk3 and smfw installed by FAST in West Chester. Like it so far but it seems slightly more difficult to slide the shiftier into gear. Maybe just my imagination because a clutch job shouldn't have anything to do with that, right? Pedal feel and everything else is great so far. They used the new Subaru gear oil that was supposed to replace the extra S and maybe it isn't as slippery as I was expecting. Or maybe it is slippery for most of the throw but the tranny has some mechanical notchiness as it tries to get all the way into gear? IDK.

My other leggy (wagon) just falls into gear with extra s and newish stock clutch & FW but it may not have a short throw. Hard to tell as the lengths seem similar and it has the tall goofy knob and the sedan with the southbend has the momo knob with subaru short throw.

Stock clutch went 115k and was still holding on the sedan when the TOB started getting loud, btw. Didn't want to risk going longer and the pedal was very heavy by that point. Bought the wagon used so I don't know for sure if that was the original clutch that I had replaced but it was over 100k when it started slipping.

• 1 year later...

OP: how is the clutch holding up?

I got around 30k out of mine before it started slipping. Now, I am looking to replace the unit. Although I liked it when it worked, but I was disappointed with the low mileage.

I think I can do better if I get the same unit, but not sure if I should spend a little more to get another flywheel/clutch combo.

OP: how is the clutch holding up?

I got around 30k out of mine before it started slipping. Now, I am looking to replace the unit. Although I liked it when it worked, but I was disappointed with the low mileage.

I think I can do better if I get the same unit, but not sure if I should spend a little more to get another flywheel/clutch combo.

I'm at about 18.5k miles on the competition clutch stage 2. No signs of slipping or anything. Hope I get more than another 10k miles out of it..Either way I'm putting a stock one back on next time.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

I'm at about 18.5k miles on the competition clutch stage 2. No signs of slipping or anything. Hope I get more than another 10k miles out of it..Either way I'm putting a stock one back on next time.

Interesting, is it because OEM lasts longer? Do you prefer the dual mass setup?

Interesting, is it because OEM lasts longer? Do you prefer the dual mass setup?

The durability.. and yeah now that 8 have had 2 aftermarket clutches, the driveability is pretty good too on stock. I only switched to an aftermarket clutch because I thought I was going to go stage 3 shortly after. That didn't happen and likely won't, so if the clutch goes before the car does, I'll probably put a stock one back on it.

Just found this thread again.

The Spec 2 clutch in my wagon lasted only 50,000 miles. It was replaced with a Spec 2+ almost 2 years ago along with installing a OEM smfw. Really enjoy the 2+, nice pedal feel and great holding power. It's a high performance clutch but easy to live with.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

i think i am considered stage 2? vf48@15psi + 740cc.

i got my 6mt may be 50-60k? exedy stage 1 with act streetlite fly. car finally hit 245k with 50k on this setup

pedal is firm... holds well. 2 track days... lots of traffic local commuting, daily driven. i do get sore if i go on a week vacation and come back to traffic... haha

if i had to be picky, i would choose a lighter pedal, but love the stage 1 grab characteristic of the exedy.

• 3 weeks later...

My Comp Clutch Stage 2 w/ lightweight flywheel started slipping at about 17k miles. But the TOB has made a slight noise from almost day 1. However it recently got MUCH louder, and is now parked in the garage until I can replace the clutch and TOB.

I'm running full exhaust and cobb stage 2 OTS tune.

The clutch pedal is heavier than my 58' chevy truck's clutch. I'll be going to an OEM clutch now.

I recently switch from comp stage 2 to Streetlight LWFW and Exedy OEM Clutch kit. I have to adjust my driving style but overall im liking the break in. Although I feel the clutch pedal is a little too light, its way more forgiving and easier to drive. No chatter so far.

Archived