LegacyGT.com

06 LGT Timing Belt

Oh, if you believe the car was never driven hard...I have a bridge, in NYC you may be interested in. I'll be 60y/o in a couple weeks. My cars never get driven hard either...

Not everyone drives hard. I drive pretty conservatively 99% of the time and only hoon on it now and then.

My father never drives is cars hard... so there are people out there that just don't. No idea how the PO drove though. Just told he was elderly and wanted something bigger to haul his grandkids in.. again no idea if that's truth or not.

Still, it is really easy to take the side cover off for a quick inspection. It'll take 10mn of your time max (assuming the 10mm bolts are not stuck). I'll try to provide a picture if you don't know where these covers are.

Ok I see the cover and popped it off. Belt looks ok, teeth don't show any cracks or wear to cause concern.

Put the cover back on.. hand tight and then a little nudge of the wrench since 5nm is nearly nothing.

Ok I see the cover and popped it off. Belt looks ok, teeth don't show any cracks or wear to cause concern.

Put the cover back on.. hand tight and then a little nudge of the wrench since 5nm is nearly nothing.

I'm sure mine would look the same at 91k since I drive like a grandpa 95% of the time too.

Still changing it before end of year, don't want to think of what it will cost me if it does snap or pulley gives up the ghost.:spin:

Get a gates belt and pulley kit, and OEM water pump. Total cost ~$250.

If you do it yourself, make sure you have the right clearance between the guides and the belt (IIRC, 1mm+/- 0.5mm). If not, it may cost you an engine...

Indeed, if you get the gates belt kit it comes with a nice little red plastic to help you space out all of them clearances.

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t188/covertrussian/Cars/05%20LGT/Engine/General/Timing%20Belt/CIMG0803.jpg

05 LGT 16G 14psi 290whp/30mpg (SOLD)

12 OBP Stock 130whp/27mpg@87 Oct

00 G20t GT28r 10psi 250whp/36mpg

22 Ascent STOCK

Get a gates belt and pulley kit, and OEM water pump. Total cost ~$250.

Indeed, if you get the gates belt kit it comes with a nice little red plastic to help you space out all of them clearances.

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t188/covertrussian/Cars/05%20LGT/Engine/General/Timing%20Belt/CIMG0803.jpg

My Dayco kit as well, although mine was not as nice as the one pictured. This step is very important. Whoever installed the timing belt on my 06 did not put the right clearance. Belt rubbed, and somehow jumped 3 teeth three weeks ago (max tolerance before valves hit the piston according to manual). I was lucky to say the least...

Once the bolts (holding the guides) are loosen, the guides have quite a bit of play to them to the point that they can rub the timing belt. So when they are loose, you put that tool in between the belt and guide, and tighten the bolts. That's all.

If you're going to tackle this job, you should have a look at these videos. Been using them for two TB jobs. They are great. There are five of them. This is just part one.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6mjCegTnB60]Meatys Subaru Timing Belt Guide (HD)(1/5) - YouTube[/ame]

How does the clearance tool work? Since the belt guides and pulleys only go into their respective hole (that aren't elongated) how could you mess up the clearance?

It's just a flexible piece of plastic. Just insert it between the belt and the belt guides and then tighten the belt guides.

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t188/covertrussian/Cars/05%20LGT/Engine/General/Timing%20Belt/CIMG0655.jpg~original

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t188/covertrussian/Cars/05%20LGT/Engine/General/Timing%20Belt/CIMG0804.jpg~original

22 Ascent STOCK

Once the bolts (holding the guides) are loosen, the guides have quite a bit of play to them to the point that they can rub the timing belt. So when they are loose, you put that tool in between the belt and guide, and tighten the bolts. That's all.

If you're going to tackle this job, you should have a look at these videos. Been using them for two TB jobs. They are great. There are five of them. This is just part one.

Damn you're tempting me to do this myself and save $400 in labor :eek:, I'd need to buy some more tools, just a bit apprehensive to tackle it.

Damn you're tempting me to do this myself and save $400 in labor :eek:, I'd need to buy some more tools, just a bit apprehensive to tackle it.

If you feel like driving to KY in the spring come on down (or up) and we can tackle our wagons one weekend. I have a large garage so it'll happen rain or shine. You'd save $ on tools too...

It seems scary at first, but it's really not that bad as long as you follow the instructions. Meatys guide is really spot on. I changed the TB on my two subies and each time, I used their videos. I had my tablet placed on the intercooler, played a segment, paused it, repeated the steps myself, and kept on going this way. Worked great for me :). But I would not have minded having a buddy with me, that's for sure.

If you feel like driving to KY in the spring come on down (or up) and we can tackle our wagons one weekend. I have a large garage so it'll happen rain or shine. You'd save $ on tools too...

Really appreciate the offer, it would be across, I'm in NV :)

It's honestly not that hard, I was worried about it at first, but after doing it once it was a piece of cake. Much easier then trying to replace a timing chain (and I love timing chains.)

Even at 55k miles I would still consider replacing water pump. They tend to go out at 130k miles. But if you think you will put only 60k miles in next 8 years then hold off.

Here's my timing belt replacement steps & pics.

22 Ascent STOCK

Archived