LegacyGT.com

06 LGT Timing Belt

I've got an 06 LGT with 78K on the clock. It was originally sold 12/05. So that means we're at 8 years and 10 months.

I know the interval is 105,000 or 105 months.

Since there is no inspection window on the t-belt cover I can only assume I'm on borrowed time at this point?

I see the preferred hardware is a gates kit. Is the gates kit with the thermostat OK or is that t-stat junk?

Oh FWIW, I also replace both radiator caps on my 05 last year. Inspect the rubber seals, if they look aged, its $20.00 well spent.

Also check out both drive belts, PS and Alternator. I replaced them when I did the T belt years ago.

Check out the engine ground wires that go to the bottom of both heads, I replaced them also.

Age takes its toll... winters coming... how's your battery ?

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

How is the coolant crossover tube that feeds the oil cooler ? Is it all rusty ?

Car has been on the west coast it's whole life, not a touch of rust anywhere! I take that back, I did pull my battery hold down and Dremel some surface rust off it and paint it recently. Under the car looks fantastic, but I'll check that tube out too ( I think I read the thread on that one). Thx again for the input Max.

Since there is no inspection window on the t-belt cover.

Side timing belt covers are easily removable. Use a flashlight and a mechanics inspection mirror.

Gates timing belt kit with OEM waterpump and OEM thermostat.

Replaced mine at 112k and all the idler pulleys had bad bearings. Timing belt itself was still in great shape.

The car ran so much quieter and smoother with the new pulleys.

I also replaced both radiator hoses, oil cooler seal, LWCP (didn't make a difference with my 5eat), installed a stand alone trans cooler, m/t radiator, changed the oil, cleaned the crank/cam sensors and generally check everything I can get my hands on.

Car has been on the west coast it's whole life, not a touch of rust anywhere! I take that back, I did pull my battery hold down and Dremel some surface rust of it and paint it recently. Under the car looks fantastic, but I'll check that tube out too ( I think I read the thread on that one). Thx again for the input Max.

I'm happy I live in a, relatively speaking, rust free state too.

Side timing belt covers are easily removable. Use a flashlight and a mechanics inspection mirror.

Replaced mine at 112k and all the idler pulleys had bad bearings. Timing belt itself was still in great shape.

Do you have a howto on the side covers?

Also at 112K but what age?

My timing belt in my 05 GT with 87k on the clock has nearly 10 years on it at this point, belt looks fine, but i'll be replacing it soon as well, before winter. I have also seen people go past 105k miles without issues, though I don't recommend that.

I wouldn't be stressing on changing your belt /immediately/, but just get around to is some time this year.

My timing belt in my 05 GT with 87k on the clock has nearly 10 years on it at this point, belt looks fine, but i'll be replacing it soon as well, before winter. I have also seen people go past 105k miles without issues, though I don't recommend that.

I wouldn't be stressing on changing your belt /immediately/, but just get around to is some time this year.

Right. Well I don't run the car full throttle anywhere either, and from what I was told about the previous owner being a middle aged fella (if that's true) I don't think he did either. So the belt is probably in fine shape aside from some age on it.

Thanks. No 2006? I assume the 2005 pics are still fun to look through? :spin:

They are the same. Just make sure your in the right section. DOHC GT's start around page 1650, also check out the back of the book for, how things work.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Still, it is really easy to take the side cover off for a quick inspection. It'll take 10mn of your time max (assuming the 10mm bolts are not stuck). I'll try to provide a picture if you don't know where these covers are.

See my click here link, there are pictures in there of the covers.

Oh, if you believe the car was never driven hard...I have a bridge, in NYC you may be interested in. I'll be 60y/o in a couple weeks. My cars never get driven hard either...

Archived