LegacyGT.com

Boost Gauge Install Help

Brickle

I bought a GlowShift boost gauge from a member here, and I just have a few questions about the installation process. I'm going to mount it on the steering column when I get the pod I need. Where do I need to run the wiring? What do the wires connect to? It has an orange, a red, and a black wire. I also want to follow M Sprank's advice and T off the MAP sensor for the vaccum line. Someone said there is a grommet in 5EAT cars where the Clutch Master Cylinder would go, if it were a manual, that I can run the vaccum line through. I have no idea where it is lol. I've looked around a lot for a step by step guide but wiring is something I have no comprehension of. Just looking for tips from someone who has installed a boost gauge on their steering column.

Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...
Its not very difficult. There is a grommet on the firewall that you can take off and drill a small hold and run the vacuum line through. As for the wiring its pretty straight forward. You're going to have your 12 volt key on and a ground. I'm assuming red is 12 volt key on black is ground and orange is illumination. I have never had a glowshift gauge so I'm not 100% sure about the wiring but if you posted a picture of the instructions I could help more. I also would recommend getting yourself fuse taps so you don't have to cut into any wiring. You can pick up fuse taps at any auto parts store. You plug them directly into you fuse box to get your 12 volt power.

I just installed this gauge today. I mounted it on the steering column with some velcro and it looks really good. No gauge pod just the gauge. I got 12v power from the cigarette lighter behind the climate control. I used a volt meter to find the right wire. You don't need to connect the orange wire but I did and it works great. Its for a dimming function if you connect it into the headlight relay. I tapped into the vacuum right at the diverter valve with a T. Take the drivers side wheel off and then take out the fender liner and you get a nice big rubber grommet that goes into the cabin directly left of the clutch pedal. Got it all hooked up and it works great. Cool to be able to change the color.

You may want to tap into the intake manifold for your vacuum, but be sure you have the right parts to do it. My car is making 11 pounds max and that could be because I tapped into the vacuum at the diverter valve, not quite sure. Could just be old lol.

Archived