LegacyGT.com

Lost 5th gear

Max Capacity

These tranny's are not the best, they could be better. When I dropped the tranny off Mark Eastwood helped me unload it and he's looking it over and was thinking the blast plates could help. He said after all it's only $400 how much have you spent on this car...

Looking at how long the tranny is and thinking about what goes on inside, it's should help.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I lost 5th in my original 5spd after tons of abuse on stage 1 and 2, and a lot of 1/4 mile passes at over 400whp...happened on the highway, gradually got on the gas and it shattered and sounded like a sand bag was in the housing...couldn't get in to first or third...hobbled it in 2 and 4 to the shop...6spd swap...handling more power and more abuse pretty well...

I lost 5th in my original 5spd after tons of abuse on stage 1 and 2, and a lot of 1/4 mile passes at over 400whp...happened on the highway, gradually got on the gas and it shattered and sounded like a sand bag was in the housing...couldn't get in to first or third...hobbled it in 2 and 4 to the shop...6spd swap...handling more power and more abuse pretty well...

How does 1/4 mile passes ruin 5th? Honestly asking because I have no idea. You aren't in 5th on the quarter mile right?

Got the Blast Plates yesterday. I have been emailing Ryan Moore, he has answered all my questions and gave me some contact's of other customers to see how they were working out.

Great customer service.

I'll give them to my tranny guy tonight.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Got the Blast Plates yesterday. I have been emailing Ryan Moore, he has answered all my questions and gave me some contact's of other customers to see how they were working out.

Great customer service.

I'll give them to my tranny guy tonight.

Are you doing anything to the tranny? Different gear sets etc? or just making sure everything is in good condition and installing?

That's more money...

I will put a set of synchro's in it, that's all it needs. Along with a locking nut.

Seems the factory did not torque the nut correctly, it was a little loose.

Is there any reason to put a diff in a daily driven car? Will it make enough of a difference that it's noticed without track driving?

Having had 1st hand experiance,

in short, hell yes

in long

read this- http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/differential-faq-consolidated-and-made-relevant-legacy-owners-112536.html

and this - http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/so-just-picked-up-one-these-subaru-front-lsd-99463.html?t=99463

Trannys back.

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x40/92Si/DSCN6629_zps19ecc410.jpg

Notice the blast plates.

It's under the car.

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x40/92Si/DSCN6632_zps72402eea.jpg

After the rain stops tomorrow I'll start installing it.

I did take some sand paper and rough up the matting surface, put a light coat of grease on the tranny snout, installed a new TOB, put some grease on the pivot ball, and the splines and tip of the input shaft for the pilot bearing.

Yea, I was thinking about doing something with that while laying awake in bed. May sand it a little and spray it with Fluid Film.

It is the OEM STS.

Tranny's in, propeller shaft is in, shifter is hooked up, axles are in the tranny and hubs. That took just under two hours, not bad for a 60y/o on my back in the driveway.

Need to put the spindles back in the LCA's, install the starter, install that ground wire, tmic, bolt the turbo back on the up pipe, install the DP, start it up.

Oh, I also sprayed the shifter rods with fluid film to help stop the rust.

Trannys back.

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x40/92Si/DSCN6629_zps19ecc410.jpg

Notice the blast plates.

It's under the car.

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x40/92Si/DSCN6632_zps72402eea.jpg

After the rain stops tomorrow I'll start installing it.

I did take some sand paper and rough up the matting surface, put a light coat of grease on the tranny snout, installed a new TOB, put some grease on the pivot ball, and the splines and tip of the input shaft for the pilot bearing.

That's a sexy looking plate

Oh well, noisy input bearing. Radiator decided to final start leaking.

Tranny has a 90 day warranty

Drives ok, the tranny seems to shift more crisp.

Have to go Karting now with my son and some old drag racing buddies.

PM'ed underdog, I'll have a new Mihi X-line radiator tomorrow.

FWIW, the tmic went on pretty easy. I "started" the bolts that hold my turbo to the up pipe, put the IPR tmic in the TB hose and tighten the clamp, pushed the tmic over the outside/rear bolt hole, tilted the tmic and started the bolt, then tilted a little more and started the front bolt. Started the support bracket bolts, then went back and tighten the two front and rear bolts, then tighten the support bolts. Man that was easy, then tighten the 3 turbo bolts.

Spoke with the Recyler's (aka, junkyard) the tranny came from they will cover the cost of the bearing which is what the warranty say's they'll cover, "parts". I also gave them a heads up there may be a few other small parts that need to be replaced to get to the bearing. They normally just give you another tranny, but I told them I already replaced all the synchro's and seals in this one.

Hind sight 20/20 I just should have kept the old tranny and paid the core charge...that had a lot of good parts in it.

To make it even worse. 2 or 3 years ago I sold my spare 5mt that was in good shape just needed to be freshened up, for $300. I got it for $100.

Would also like to say how great the customer service is from "underdog". With in minutes earlier today, like 5:30AM he answered my PM and had my order ready so I'll have the radiator tomorrow.

I'm not pulling the tranny this time. I'll have my trusted mechanic do the R&R and my tranny guy can pick it up there and replace the bearing. GF has plans for this weekend, I won't have the time, and it's getting colder out.

Edited by Max Capacity