LegacyGT.com

Lost 5th gear

Max Capacity

While driving on the highway, I just changed lanes in morning traffic, doing lbetween 60 and 65mph when the tranny popped out of 5th gear.

I finished the 6 miles to work in 4th gear, 60mph.

It seems the tranny won't go into 3rd gear either, it will go into 1st, 2nd, when you shift towards 3rd it goes into 5th. I can go 1,2,4. Also have reverse.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Drove the car home on the back roads. 1st - 4th work fine. Fluid was a little grayish when I check it before I came home.

I'll pull it over the next few day's.

5th is the gear at the left end of the "driven shaft" that is that pinon gear on the front diff. Behind that square flange with is a roller bearing.

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x40/92Si/DSCN5295_zps3025c9b3.jpg

Edited by Max Capacity

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Yes, its had 3 different techs work on it over the years. The dealer did the first two rebuilds, a trusted tranny shop did one and my buddy who was a tranny tech by trade for many years the last 4 times.

Yea, I know what your saying, I've only been driving stick all my life, I'll be 60y/o next month, so its not like I'm new at this.

I have to wonder if the LWFW has anything to do with all the issues ?

My Spec B's tranny is so much quieter.

Yea, I know what your saying, I've only been driving stick all my life, I'll be 60y/o next month, so its not like I'm new at this.

I have to wonder if the LWFW has anything to do with all the issues ?

My Spec B's tranny is so much quieter.

Case flex perhaps? I wouldnt rebuild that gearbox in that case, esp if the layshaft bearings are all intact and damage free.

Sure you have a plan in place just dont got straight cut I know @ 60 you may be thinking about uber street :lol:

I've heard that case flex is more of an issue with older wrx models, but the lgt isn't really prone to it.
BtSsm - Android app/Bluetooth adapter. LV, logging, gauges and more. For 05-14 Legacy (GT, 2.5, 3.0, 3.6), 02-14 WRX, 04-14 STi, 04-14 FXT, 05-09 OBXT

Need to do some blast plates if you're pulling it apart again. these help eliminate the case flex and provide a better mesh between gears. found the thread on nastycock.

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2341424

a guy in our local subie club just had a build on a 14 rex, 700 horse through the 5mt

Edited by AMileHighLGT
link

Need to do some blast plates if you're pulling it apart again. these help eliminate the case flex and provide a better mesh between gears. found the thread on nastycock.

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2341424

a guy in our local subie club just had a build on a 14 rex, 700 horse through the 5mt

Thanks for the link, looks like a good product.

Thanks, Well it's not like I didn't start 3 evenings ago. But it's getting dark earlier. I had it ready to slide off the guide pins in just over 3 hours.

I had the lower ball joints out, Wed and Thursday nights. I played the left lower and got it out of the spindle, covered it and the pinch pin with anti-seize and put it back in the spindle. Thinking about doing the same with the right.

Today I removed the center heat shield. well cut off the rusty bolts and tabs, then DEI heat wrapped it. Hopefully that was the rattle I've been having.Also have a leaking read diff mount, thinking about ordering one and than having it replaced, One of the nuts is a bit rounded. I sprayed it with Aero-Kroil we'll see if my impact and universal can break it loose. I recall having trouble with it when I put the rear diff in a few years back.

Just put the old tranny in the back of the Spec, in the spare tire well with cardboard and some wood blocks. I'll pick up a used tranny with 97,000 miles on it tomorrow.

As I was rolling the tranny getting all the fluid out, I heard clinking inside.

The drain plug had 1/4" x 1/2" long, about 1/8" thick metal piece on it.

I'm done with this tranny.

Edited by Max Capacity

No that's to much money to spend on a car this old. The Moore Performance Blast Plate might be a good idea.

On side note, the turbo with 55,000 miles at 21psi has no shaft play. I had to remove the three mount bolts to get the tranny past it, glad I bolt the turbo to the up pipe.

you certainly gave the original trans more than enough chances. your new-to-you 5mt has got to be better!
BtSsm - Android app/Bluetooth adapter. LV, logging, gauges and more. For 05-14 Legacy (GT, 2.5, 3.0, 3.6), 02-14 WRX, 04-14 STi, 04-14 FXT, 05-09 OBXT

Yes, that's what we're thinking. I think the smart thing to do is have it opened up and checked out to make sure the synchro's are in good shape.

It coming from a junkyard, oh sorry, a recyclers. My tranny guy is on vacation so I'll have to wait a week for him to come back.

I can finish a few other projects around the house in the mean time.

I just ordered the Moore Blast Plates. I'll do a review over the next few months.

Dropped the tranny off at Eastwoods machine shop so my tranny guy can open it up and make sure its ok.

I also got the rear diff cradle out of the car. One of the bushings was leaking. I ordered the Whiteline KDT905 from underdog Monday, got that and front sway bar bushing from him today.

Had a tough time with the nut and bolt on the passenger side of the cradle. A few spray's of Aero Kroil and a few day's seems to do the trick. I had to hit it off/on direction with the 1/2 impact gun a while, the socket got hot, but after a few times of on/off direction, the nut spun off and bolt just pushed out.

I'll have Eastwoods Auto Machine press out the old bushings.

This is good news. I'm an auto guy. Too much stop and go for a stick. I have a real hard time believing what everyone says about the 5mt being junk. Its not like your pushing an ungodly amount of power and torque through the gearset. I am really excited for you max -I hope these blast plates work out for you.