LegacyGT.com

Brake Question: Flaring vs. Coupling

WesleySands

This may be more on the legal side of things than the actual mechanic side but, why are you no allowed to use compression couplings when fixing brake lines? One mechanic said that they're perfectly fine to use, they've been barred for legal reasons, is that true? I realise with flaring that the line would have to break before the coupling went out. So why flare vs. using compression couplings? I've done very little brake work, so I'm still learning. Thanks.

It's one of the safety laws, I guess.

I test fluid and gas lines at work, We use compression fittings for pressures up to 6000psi. The flare gives a better overall seal but compression fittings will hold too.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I've seen flares break off in a couple different applications not just automotive. And as max said compression fitting can hold alot of pressure. I'm sure someone decided the compression was more prone to a failure then flares. Or maybe more prone to failure by poor installation.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived