LegacyGT.com

Question about '98 clutch replacement.

BC2225

I've heard conflicting stories on the process of this. Being that my car is a 2.2, I've been told it's easier to remove all the accessories on the engine, as well as the fans, and bump the engine forward. Others have said remove the drive train.

That said, I'm no slouch in the mechanic biz. I was a tech for years. My questions comes into this, I can't find much, if any real reliable info on the engine slide method. This method would do me best, as working under cars is bad for my heath(a transfer case fell and crushed my shoulder some years ago), so to be able to get it from the top would be superb.

If anyone has instructions, a link, anything, it would be greatly helpful. The car is immobile, and it's my only vehicle, so I really need to get this done. Thanks!

Do you have a engine hoist ?

just lay the PS and AC on a fender, disconnect the fuel and electrical, remove radiator, lift engine out.

Look the job over, have a plan. See my click here link for ideas, I found I had to jack up the rear of the car to make it easier to slide the input shaft in to the pilot bushing.

You can find the service manual here .

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/wants-see-my-vacation-pixi-6216.html

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

While your other info was spot on with what I was already thnking(just trying to thnk about how to go about it, since Subarus are new ground for me, ain't my ol' chevys and fords). I will make quite sure to make a checklist, and as always bag and tag everything.

As for the manuals, it seems all the links to the 98s are dead,so I'll have to fish around to find 'em

Well, I have to say, I'm rather dejected at this point. The issue is I have an unpacked dirt driveway. And while getting all the mess out of the engine bay isn't an issue, I have no means(even with plywood)to get a jack under the engine and keep it stable, nor to get an engine hoist to do the same. Right now, after buying the parts I need, I just don't have the cash to tow it elsewhere. The good news is, I have a friend in the business still that is willing to do the job for me for $450(he does these all the time, it's less than a 5 hour job for him), but I won't have the money for that until the end of the month because I'm on a fixed income. So at this point, I'm kinda down hearted and don't see any way for me to do this safely. I could do it, but I'm so safty conscious, that there's no way I'm willing to risk it. So for the time being, the car will just have to sit. It's a miserable place to be in this case, as it's our only car for the household. It's going to be a long month :\

It's really not. Mainly because I'm supplying the parts. At the same time, there's nothing I can do until the last day of the month because I'm on a fixed income. So this leaves me and my family with no car until then, this is more than an inconvenience, since my mother is elderly, and I'm disabled. I'm not so messed up that I couldn't do the work from the top if I had proper means to do so, but it does prevent me from getting under the car and working over my head.

Frankly, I'd kill for a local guy in CT to offer help, but that's more than I'm willing to ask of anyone. I'll just have to grit and bear it. My motorcycle still works, even though the back tire is a bit sketchy, but it'll get me around town to get groceries and stuff. I wouldn't take it far, but it's a small town, so I can get where I need. Still, it's a really shitty situation.

Also, what's with CT and it's hate for self-serve shops? A ton of other states have them where you can rent a lift and tools and get a job done with some friends. CT barely allows them, I think we have two in the entire state, and they're costly. While my shoulder and neck won't let me work professionally anymore, I can sure as shit use an engine stand and such and do it from the front. I have a good friend who is the best set of second hands I ever met. We would make short work of it if we had more of them.

Dang it. Oh well, The entire cost of parts and repair still comes in under $560. Still a bargain. The next lowest bid I got in Western CT was $800. And that was with me supplying the parts. But the guy that owns the shop is an old client(I worked salvage for awhile), and he said "**** it, it's a day's work, you'll have it back by 6." Good guy. Good price, and great mechanic. So I guess I can't complain too much. There's just that part of me that did this for 15+ years, and can't get it out of me. It's why I own motorcycles. At least I can put that on a sheet of plywood, and put a tent over it. Instant garage on flat ground.

Ending rant. There will be more to come later, but not on transmissions. Next step? Exhaust and Suspension ;)

The same or larger plywood will work too. I used a 12" square piece of 1/2" to throw under the floor jack on the lawn to jack up the up of my 86' F150 the other night to swap out a grease zert.

CT has to many safety people running around to bitch at anyone doing anything. Bunch of babies here. Lots of knee jerk reactions to anything little thing.

oh, BTW, PM CT08SpecB, he can save you money on insurance for the car and home.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

The same or larger plywood will work too. I used a 12" square piece of 1/2" to throw under the floor jack on the lawn to jack up the up of my 86' F150 the other night to swap out a grease zert.

CT has to many safety people running around to bitch at anyone doing anything. Bunch of babies here. Lots of knee jerk reactions to anything little thing.

oh, BTW, PM CT08SpecB, he can save you money on insurance for the car and home.

Has little to do with the CT safty brigade(which doesn't exist in Litchfield County, CT's official "Here, hold my beer while I..." county. It's mostly due to the fact that the driveway is low compression sand. I used a 12x10 sheet, all it did was crack straight through, and drop the car about 3 inches before I caught it and lowered it. It's not a surface I will work on, and it's not a surface I'll risk my own safty on. And this is a guy who rights a 125hp motorcycle like he stole it. There are just some things I won't do. If I had a better place to work, maybe. But I've got a great price on having someone else do it, and frankly, since it's our only car, it needs to be done, and I'm not going to meddle with things when they need to be done. When I want to tinker, that's fine, but when it prevents getting to doctors appointments, the store, etc, then it's an issue.

And the gentleman doing the work is doing me a huge favor by letting me pay half now, half at the end of the month. We've known eachother for 20+ years(went to trade school together), so it's not a big deal. And it's really not a lot of money, so he doesn't see a problem with it

Archived