LegacyGT.com

AVO exhaust - appearing at a rallitek near you

apexjapan

Ongoing R&D - some people like the non-coffee can look, others want a bit more bling, especially since the standard tips are blingier than the ones on mine. These are going over for fitment testing mainly, and AVO is looking at getting oval tips instead of round, as well. Cheers, Paul Hansen

All the pieces look really great and well put togehter, from what you are saying Paul, the sound would be very deep and rich burble which would be very nice as long as it didnt drone inside the car either. Adam

Is it difficult to get a pleasing exhaust note from the Subaru flat four turbo? In the past week I have been passed on the street by 2 WRXs with aftermarket exhausts, both were loud, and both sounded like a '71 Chevy pickup with a rusted out muffler. Not a pleasing sound from either one. In the same week also heard a VW GTI VR6 with stock exhaust (from what I could see) and it sounded great.

[quote name='jedimaster']Oh man- my wife is gonna be pissed...[/quote] :lol: That's FUNNY! It is rather nice though, and first ones to have it... dayum! Just wish it was on my list of things to get/do this year. Unfortunately a few other things are taking precidence. Very nice AVO. Paul, can you get Ross to stop in here? Would be nice to be able to ask him questions, etc in a group setting and get word straight from the vendor. :)

Hmmm, very tempting. Portland's not too far away from Seattle. :wink: :evil: I think I'll wait to see what Cobb comes up with for an ECU reflash first though. Mostly because I'm in Jedi's boat re: the wife factor! At least I think an ECU reflash will be easier to sell than all that hardware! :wink: BTW, what kind of HP/torque gains are AVO expecting with this mod? -Ian

[quote name='goneskiian']BTW, what kind of HP/torque gains are AVO expecting with this mod? -Ian[/quote] Without any tuning, I wouldn't expect more than 10hp, 10ft/lb's of torque with this modification alone. It does depend on the differences in the USDM model, of course, so it may make a bit more. If you had a some sort of ecu tune to take advantage of the differences in flow, you'd probably get up to 25-30hp with the entire system in place, as long as you had some sort of higher-flowing panel filter to balance out the flow. And, of course, the car would sound great. :D Cheers, Paul Hansen

[quote name='agctr']Paul, is that at the wheels and what sort of Kw would you be putting out in total both at the wheels and at the crank?[/quote] I'm not sure - AVO hasn't done specific testing on the full setup yet, since they sent the first one over to Rallitek for the testing. Just the muffler sections alone contributed towards me reaching 260whp at 1.1kg/cm2 of boost (and the car has been known to hit 1.4 boost in testing... :twisted: ), but I wouldn't state that they were responsible for the entire 50whp gain - that came from the subcom, actuator, and intake pipe as well (and probably the BOV that would hold when boost was at 1.4...). Got to love the seasoned operators at the Kodaira dyno - 260whp only translated into 288chp, according to them. That's less loss than a FWD. If we were calculating by american dyno standards, it'd be around 317chp. ;) I'm just being very conservative on the estimates for exhaust alone because I've driven the STi-bits Legacy with muffler sections - albeit they don't flow as well as the AVO mufflers - and there wasn't much more than a 5-8hp gain from the STi mufflers. Much of the gains come in at the top end, so there may be an actual bigger gain at certain rpm's, but peak may not change much. Cheers, Paul Hansen

Thanks Paul, I think if you were going to spec up anything, I would firstly work on the ECU and then the AVO exhaust which would really open things up. This would really help make a difference especially down low where the GT has proven to be a bit sluggish. Next would be the AVO exhaust system as Im sure you would get a much better advantage and power gain over the entire rev range. From this setup, it would be very interesting to revisit the numbers and see what you can dial up. And Paul, have to agree, when you have ppl on the dyno who know what they are doing, it certainly makes the experience all worth while.

Archived