LegacyGT.com

Info on the motor in the LGT

I am going with the 257. The only block I have any interest in using because of what I see going for max after how many miles since the rebuild?

There is a sticky at the top of the forum about forged or stock pistons.

Forged is stronger, but will cause a little more cylinder wall wear.

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You can do it in accessport yes (might as well use their Stage 1 tune too then). Or you can get a Tactrix cable for $150 (used for flashing), ECUFlash for free (to write to ecu, you can use ECU flash to tune too) and Romraider for free to edit the tune (program screenshots are from).

Wait... do the Cobb OTS maps not do this by default? Shit. Is there a DIY guide available?

Sorry to go a bit off topic! Just would rather not have car go boom.

Wait... do the Cobb OTS maps not do this by default? Shit. Is there a DIY guide available?

Sorry to go a bit off topic! Just would rather not have car go boom.

Yes the accessport comes with a stage 1 and stage 2 map already programmed on it.. you buy it, plug it in and press the button and wait and you have a safer map than the stock one

03 WRB WRX (RIP)

04 JBP STI (sold)

07 DGM Legacy GT (RIP)

12 OBP STI (DD)

I am going with the 257. The only block I have any interest in using because of what I see going for max after how many miles since the rebuild?

There is a sticky at the top of the forum about forged or stock pistons.

Forged is stronger, but will cause a little more cylinder wall wear.

Good read about the forged but I don't think anyone yet has took pictures of a motor rebuilt with forged pistons?

Yes the accessport comes with a stage 1 and stage 2 map already programmed on it.. you buy it, plug it in and press the button and wait and you have a safer map than the stock one

That was in regards to the OTS maps having the 2.11* of timing added to #2 & 4! Found the answer elsewhere: Cobb resolved this in v118 and up maps.

lol one person said why no use the ej22e instead of the ej255/57

that sounds like a ticking time bomb?

How much money and time are you willing to spend? You can put whatever you want in there if you're willing to overcome engineering obstacles. Frank_ster has a buick 3.8 sc v6 in his.

They are identical (hence, the identical SOA PN), the only difference being the piston dish. Not sure how that's differentiated in the manufacturing process, though.

That said, you are correct -- it's all in the tune.

If you want a safe, reliable rebuild, get an OEM block, or spend the money for a well-built forged motor. Well-built isn't so much about the parts that are in it, but who puts it together. Outfront Motorsports has recently gotten a good rep for building motors that not only perform, but last -- and they come with a pricetag that shows it. There's a point, though -- One can spend too much money on a short/long block: The Cosworths aren't worth the money, from what I've read/heard.

If you cannot afford to do the rebuild twice (or maybe even three times) you should get the OEM shortblock and call it a day. Otherwise, you're gonna end up trying to shoot the moon with your credit card.

How much money and time are you willing to spend? You can put whatever you want in there if you're willing to overcome engineering obstacles. Frank_ster has a buick 3.8 sc v6 in his.

I'm in no rush.. before my other car was totaled when the Ej25D let go I ended up getting a Ej22e with 192K on it and using my 25D heads to get the car ready for a build.

I can't see a stock 22e with the stock boost levels holding up

They are identical (hence, the identical SOA PN), the only difference being the piston dish. Not sure how that's differentiated in the manufacturing process, though.

That said, you are correct -- it's all in the tune.

If you want a safe, reliable rebuild, get an OEM block, or spend the money for a well-built forged motor. Well-built isn't so much about the parts that are in it, but who puts it together. Outfront Motorsports has recently gotten a good rep for building motors that not only perform, but last -- and they come with a pricetag that shows it. There's a point, though -- One can spend too much money on a short/long block: The Cosworths aren't worth the money, from what I've read/heard.

If you cannot afford to do the rebuild twice (or maybe even three times) you should get the OEM shortblock and call it a day. Otherwise, you're gonna end up trying to shoot the moon with your credit card.

LOL or the retirement IRA!

If both blocks where that bad they would of had a TSB about it?

In stock form, they're fine. Turn the boost up and drive it hard, though, and that's when the problems start.

99.7% of all block failures are related to abuse/misuse/neglect/idiocy.

In stock form, they're fine. Turn the boost up and drive it hard, though, and that's when the problems start.

99.7% of all block failures are related to abuse/misuse/neglect/idiocy.

People not paying attention to oil levels. All turbo cars have this problem to a certain extent.

We live in a world where people expect lifetime fluids and little or no maintenance.

lol one person said why no use the ej22e instead of the ej255/57

that sounds like a ticking time bomb?

The EJ22E is an open-deck NA block -- Perhaps they meant the nearly-indestructible, fully-closed-deck EJ22T? Or perhaps an EJ20G (I had one -- Great block!)

The 22e is what came as a stock motor in the 1st and 2nd generation of Legacies

The EJ22E is an open-deck NA block -- Perhaps they meant the nearly-indestructible, fully-closed-deck EJ22T? Or perhaps an EJ20G (I had one -- Great block!)

The 22e is what came as a stock motor in the 1st and 2nd generation of Legacies

yeah I know what the 22e came from, which is why I asked wondering why anyone would suggest that for a ECU set up for a turbo platform.. Just to be sure I told the person on USMB that it was a turbo car just to make sure..

People not paying attention to oil levels. All turbo cars have this problem to a certain extent.

We live in a world where people expect lifetime fluids and little or no maintenance.

Or this day in age they still think the oil light is a oil level indicator..

The uppipe in the 05/06 has a catalytic converter that has the potential to melt if EGTs get to high, which will send the cat through the turbo for bad news. Most folks get a used STi uppipe over on nastycock. Drop in, oem perfect fitment, no tune required for uppipe only.

No retune, but some edits in the program. I.e., you need to shut off code p0420 because in their infinite wisdom, not only did Subaru put a cat before the turbo, but it's the one they chose to monitor.

You also need the 2.2kΩ resistor to trick the ECU into thinking the EGT sensor is all copacetic.

MrTris, awesome list sir, thanks for taking the time to make that post.

^ My understanding is that either the resistor or the 420 code switch in the tune will work. If you just do the resistor and fool the ECU, you didn't really need the tune change. That said, personally, I have both solutions on my car, but I did uppipe, downpipe, intercooler, bpv, ebcs, and tune all at one time. Therefore, there was no marginal cost to doing both in my situation. Generally, I would say do both, since a tune is recommended in all cases anyway. But strictly speaking, uppipe and resistor mod are good enough for government work if you want to run mostly stock for a while for the cost of a used sti uppipe ($75ish) and a 2.2 ohm resistor (<$1).

Archived