LegacyGT.com

Info on the motor in the LGT

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The stock tune has the potential to burn valves too. Just get it off the stocker. Easy fix. The uppipe in the 05/06 has a catalytic converter that has the potential to melt if EGTs get to high, which will send the cat through the turbo for bad news. Most folks get a used STi uppipe over on nastycock. Drop in, oem perfect fitment, no tune required for uppipe only. And the aforementioned banjo filter issues. Eating oil is usually due to worn piston rings. As most don't rebuild the motor unless absolutely necessary, just check the oil level often and keep it topped off. Those are the major ones.

I keep a running list of issues with 05-06 LGT's in my build thread, some issues have been fixed with 07+ cars.

05-06 LGT Common Issues

Here is a list of common issues found with these cars.

• Turbo Failure around 80k miles - There are two things that can cause this:
    1. Subaru used turbo oil feed banjo filters that get clogged and restrict oil flow to the turbo. Failure Example
    2. Subaru used a preturbo catalytic converter that breaks up overtime and gets logged into the turbo. Please note 2007+ LGT no longer have cats in up pipes. Failure Example
  • Throwout Bearing failure at around 60k miles - The push type clutches have badly designed throw out bearings that will get stuck on the pressure plate and destroy the input shaft's snout. There is a Tranquil TSK3 snout kit, use this if your snout if yours already has damage. Sadly there is no permanent fix, even TSK3 TOB's will fail at about 60k miles.
  • Fans always stay on - This on is 5MT specific, the secondary radiator fan relay can damage the ECU causing the fans to always stay on. There is an official recall for this.
  • Dual Mass Flywheel - Dual mass flywheels should be shunned from all cars, they are big & heavy and only lead to problems. More info on DMF's. Luckily you can upgrade to 07+ single mass setup (flywheel + clutch).
  • Wheel Bearings! - As with all Subaru's, be ready to replace all of the wheel bearings. Allwheeldriveauto.com Did a two part series on Subaru bearings: Part 1, Part 2
  • Dual Climate Control is physical tied to Radio - This is a major inconvenience (if you want to user aftermarket head unit) and has issues too. If one fails it takes the other down with him, LCD screens are known to give out on these too. There is a JDM Console Swap but it will cost you around $350 for the whole setup.
  • Front O2 Sensor Failure - Seems like the Front O2 sensors fail rather often, this is probably because of the O2 sensor being in before the turbo, thus is exposed to very nigh temperatures.
  • Water Pools ontop of Fuel Rail due to Hood Scoop - Due to hoodscoop design water tends to pool around fuel rail/coolant reservoir after raining, example pics here.
  • Stock Tune is Lean in Boost - Due to emissions US models have a closed loop to open loop delay, this causes you to be lean while in boost, this causes burnt valves and makes motor more detonation prone. Easily fixable with a tune update.
  • Stock Tune adds too much timing for Cylinder 2 & 4 - For some reason 05-06 LGT's add 2.11* to cylinder 2 & 4 which are already detonation prone, 07+ tunes add 0*, FXT/WRX also isn't as aggressive. Easily fixable with a tune update.

05 LGT 16G 14psi 290whp/30mpg (SOLD)

12 OBP Stock 130whp/27mpg@87 Oct

00 G20t GT28r 10psi 250whp/36mpg

22 Ascent STOCK

I keep a running list of issues with 05-06 LGT's in my build thread, some issues have been fixed with 07+ cars.

05-06 LGT Common Issues

1. Subaru used turbo oil feed banjo filters that get clogged and restrict oil flow to the turbo. Failure Example
    2. Subaru used a preturbo catalytic converter that breaks up overtime and gets logged into the turbo. Please note 2007+ LGT no longer have cats in up pipes. Failure Example
  • Throwout Bearing failure at around 60k miles - The push type clutches have badly designed throw out bearings that will get stuck on the pressure plate and destroy the input shaft's snout. There is a Tranquil TSK3 snout kit, use this if your snout if yours already has damage. Sadly there is no permanent fix, even TSK3 TOB's will fail at about 60k miles.
  • Fans always stay on - This on is 5MT specific, the secondary radiator fan relay can damage the ECU causing the fans to always stay on. There is an official recall for this.
  • Dual Mass Flywheel - Dual mass flywheels should be shunned from all cars, they are big & heavy and only lead to problems. More info on DMF's. Luckily you can upgrade to 07+ single mass setup (flywheel + clutch).
  • Wheel Bearings! - As with all Subaru's, be ready to replace all of the wheel bearings. Allwheeldriveauto.com Did a two part series on Subaru bearings: Part 1, Part 2
  • Dual Climate Control is physical tied to Radio - This is a major inconvenience (if you want to user aftermarket head unit) and has issues too. If one fails it takes the other down with him, LCD screens are known to give out on these too. There is a JDM Console Swap but it will cost you around $350 for the whole setup.
  • Front O2 Sensor Failure - Seems like the Front O2 sensors fail rather often, this is probably because of the O2 sensor being in before the turbo, thus is exposed to very nigh temperatures.
  • Water Pools ontop of Fuel Rail due to Hood Scoop - Due to hoodscoop design water tends to pool around fuel rail/coolant reservoir after raining, example pics here.
  • Stock Tune is Lean in Boost - Due to emissions US models have a closed loop to open loop delay, this causes you to be lean while in boost, this causes burnt valves and makes motor more detonation prone. Easily fixable with a tune update.
  • Stock Tune adds too much timing for Cylinder 2 & 4 - For some reason 05-06 LGT's add 2.11* to cylinder 2 & 4 which are already detonation prone, 07+ tunes add 0*, FXT/WRX also isn't as aggressive. Easily fixable with a tune update.

Thanks, so as far as the uppipe cat changing it to a catless will have no effect on stock tune?

The turbo issue as far as the banjo bolt I've heard from way back before but the other stuff is new to me other then the radio stuff.. but I have a double DIN I just took out of the Outback so I would like to keep it.. but if that's what I have to pay to use it then so be it.

I don't understand what you mean get it off the stocker?

As others mentioned, get an aftermarket tune of your choosing. Yes, no tune required if you only go from catted up to catless up. However, we strongly recommend you get tuned, even if it's just stage 1 due to other problems with the stock tune. Can't hurt to mention the different up to your tuner though. The AccessPort is expensive and Cobb's maps are better than Subaru's, but nothing will be as good as a tune that is designed and tested on your exact car by an experience customer tuner. In person road and/or dyno tune are all good, as is an eTune. Just depends on what approach you want to take and how much you want to pay.

05-06 LGT Common Issues

Another question that tune update for the lean in boost and too much timing what program was used to change those settings? Also would a accessport be able to change those?

Another question that tune update for the lean in boost and too much timing what program was used to change those settings? Also would a accessport be able to change those?

You can do it in accessport yes (might as well use their Stage 1 tune too then). Or you can get a Tactrix cable for $150 (used for flashing), ECUFlash for free (to write to ecu, you can use ECU flash to tune too) and Romraider for free to edit the tune (program screenshots are from).

05 LGT 16G 14psi 290whp/30mpg (SOLD)

12 OBP Stock 130whp/27mpg@87 Oct

00 G20t GT28r 10psi 250whp/36mpg

22 Ascent STOCK

Where do you get 5k from?

Typically from a credit card or the bank, but sometimes from your savings account. :lol:

If it's just the motor then get a short block new or if a decent price a used long block.

I'm not new to stripping motors down

Then you'd know that buying a used turbo motor is one of the dumbest things you could ever spend your money on, unless you for some reason wanted two broken motors to fix.

See my shopping list.

To do it right, meaning buying just about everything new because most of the used stuff isn't worth reusing after the motor is out of the car... your looking around at least 3-5k... or you can half ass it and end up spending even more than if you just did it right the first time... with that all being said good luck with whatever you decide to do! Start reading!

03 WRB WRX (RIP)

04 JBP STI (sold)

07 DGM Legacy GT (RIP)

12 OBP STI (DD)

Funny how no one can say what shortblock to use.. some say stay with the Ej255 and some say go with the EJ257 but they are given the same part number? Then you have some saying install forged pistons due to the ringland issue..

But when I heard about that cylinder 4 issue it's because of the OEM tune runs lean in boost and the timing is advanced on boost, I'm not sure if the piston or the tune is the issue (I'm more siding on the tune)

I already have much of what I need to strip down the engine.. now that was fun doing it when it was 20 F outside.

Archived