LegacyGT.com

Correct front and rear diff fluid for 05 2.5i mt??

Could some one tell me proper fluid for my front and rear diffs.

Plain jane 2.5i 5 speed.

As I understand it- front diff functions as both tranny resovior and diff res? And it requires different fluid that rear?

Manual just talks about AT. Local Autozone and Advanced were little to no help (as usual). Napa wasn't open.

Thanks!

Chuck in NY

I used oem Subaru Extra-s in both my tranny and rear dif. Highly recommended by most on here. I have a gt but i would assume it would work for you as well.

Didn't know what that extra -S was so I looked it up. Looks like just 75w90 gear oil. Just subis version - correct? Could I just sub it out for some valvoline synthetic stuff (75w90) that I already have?

I saw on some other forums (For the front) about a 75w90ns ( I don't know what ns means)

What does that spec mean? Is that Subi extra -S ns?

Thanks!

The NS is basically just a Red Line gear oil thing, it is not a Subaru spec.

Red line makes a 75w-90 gear oil, and a 75w-90 NS gear oil. I currently used red line 75w-90 NS for my front differential/manual transmission and I love it.

The difference between red line 75w-90, and 75w-90 NS, is the NS formula does not contain any friction modifiers. Friction modifiers basically make the oil more "slippery". If you have a manual transmission, you don't want the fluid to be too slippery, because it will mess with the synchros.

For a manual transmission 2.5i legacy, all subaru says is a 75w-90 gear oil that is GL-5 rated for the rear differential, and front differential/manual transmission.

The NS is basically just a Red Line gear oil thing, it is not a Subaru spec.

Red line makes a 75w-90 gear oil, and a 75w-90 NS gear oil. I currently used red line 75w-90 NS for my front differential/manual transmission and I love it.

The difference between red line 75w-90, and 75w-90 NS, is the NS formula does not contain any friction modifiers. Friction modifiers basically make the oil more "slippery". If you have a manual transmission, you don't want the fluid to be too slippery, because it will mess with the synchros.

For a manual transmission 2.5i legacy, all subaru says is a 75w-90 gear oil that is GL-5 rated for the rear differential, and front differential/manual transmission.

Thanks a lot Apexi! I will try that!

Archived