LegacyGT.com

bad rattle sound/maybe trans? HELP!

jeffy2.5xt

Ive been stressing myself to death recently thinking my 2005 obxt motor was about to let go due to.some funny noises ive been hearing. I recently had a rattle pop up pretty nasty sounding but not consistently there, worst ive had was for.one entire drive thru sitting then.drove 3mins back home and.no noise at all. Sounds kinda like holding a couple rocks in your hand and shaking/rolling them around. I also noticed a similar sound but seemingly a little quieter while accelerating and today noticed I could make it happen if I accelrated briskly through a turn.......I know waht a popping axle sounds like and it doesnt sound like this.*

I have also been having a "pitink" kind of.noise when starting from 1st or reverse from dead stop if I pull away harder than a.light slip, not even launching just normal driving.

My question being, do all of these add up to something possibly broken, bad bearing, bad.diff in the trans or maybe springs in any.of the.components of my clutch and dual mass*flywheel? Im up in the air to buying parts fora motor rebuild and preparing for a downed vehicle for.a while or just buy some trans parts and in and out it in a day?

And the car is as stated 2005 obxt manual trans full stg2. With 135k miles on it only stg 2 for about 20k. Most likely stock clutch but no telling.

Get under the car and grab the propellar shaft under the back seat and try and move it around. There should be very little movement.

Than check for loose heat shields ?

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Drive Shaft Carrier Bearing, check it for slop. but i bet given your year and mileage the carrier and and both U joints are shot.

(if in reverse you hear it at 5mph and less on flat ground, a marble in can effect, then yup your carrier is shot!)

Drive Shaft Shop 479.95 plus S&H, custom 1 piece shaft. ( I love mine)

No this is a noise at idle sitting still even. Im leaning heavily towards the flywheel has come apart, ill be ordering the stuff I need to switch to single mass as soon as i can and will keep this.up to date with my findings so if anybody else has a similar problem it might help.

Archived