LegacyGT.com

2.5 Twin Cam Engine Questions

I have rebuilt the lower end of my 97 2.5 and shaved the heads, ground the valves and new seals. Now that I try to time the engine with the new belt, idlers, tensioner and water pump I can't seem to get the timing marks to line dead nuts perfect. I have the subaru tools to keep the gears in position but nothing helps line up the 2-4 cylinder timing marks. Now I have gotten these things as close as I can get them and I still don't have as much compression on the 2-4 cylinders as the 1-3 cylinders. Now I did run the motor and had to pull it because the exhaust valves were bent (the pulleys spun when the tool slipped). I had the valves reground and I still cant get the compression up to what the 1-3 cylinders are. Is it possible to have the pistons on the wrong side? I know they have a certain way to be put in the engine. Any suggestions short of putting in a 2.2? I'm not doing that.

are you using the correct timing marks?

the hash marks, not the arrows?

regardless of compression,

how close is the timing mark on the 2-4 side,

a tooth off, half a tooth off?

what are the compression numbers?

i have heard something about piston position, but i do not really know.

Yeah I'm using the hash marks not the arrows. It is about a half mark off on the double marks. If I move it on the timing belt one tooth it is half mark off on the double marks the other way. Just turning the engine over by hand I am getting 90 psi on 1-3 and 60 psi on 2 and 30 psi on 4. I will verify 1-3 again but that is what I was getting on 1-3 before I had the valves reground on 2-4.

Archived