LegacyGT.com

BtSsm video demo

Hey all - wanted to post a video for you guys that are curious about this homebrew android app/adapter.

Quick video demo

Original post in the Vendor to Member forum

Thanks for viewing. Please let me know if you have any questions.

BtSsm - Android app/Bluetooth adapter. LV, logging, gauges and more. For 05-14 Legacy (GT, 2.5, 3.0, 3.6), 02-14 WRX, 04-14 STi, 04-14 FXT, 05-09 OBXT

Very cool.

10' CTS-V, A6, Airraid, 2.4 upper, ID850's, self tuned.

SOLD:06' LGT Wagon. BNR16G, Catless UP, DOWN, Hexmods VB, Hexmods diff bushings, BIG TMIC.

Best 0-60: 4.651 by AP

1/4= 13.678@100.73 mph, 1.945 60', Automatic transmission.

I purchased one.

Looks very cool.

If nothing else, to support someone who's developing stuff for our cars.

SOLD:06' LGT Wagon. BNR16G, Catless UP, DOWN, Hexmods VB, Hexmods diff bushings, BIG TMIC.

I purchased one.

Looks very cool.

If nothing else, to support someone who's developing stuff for our cars.

Great! Hope you like it.

BtSsm - Android app/Bluetooth adapter. LV, logging, gauges and more. For 05-14 Legacy (GT, 2.5, 3.0, 3.6), 02-14 WRX, 04-14 STi, 04-14 FXT, 05-09 OBXT

Sharing a screenshot of the "View Knock Events" feature... It can help you capture what was going on if/when a knock occurs.

Here's how it works: When the app is running, if it sees the knock sum go up at the same time that either FKC or FLKC is non-zero, then a yellow warning triangle appears. If you press it, the dialog shown below will appear with all of the values at the time of the knock. If there are more than one, you can scroll the list. You can then email/share that info.

It can be helpful if you (or your tuner) are tuning your timing table.

http://www.btssm.com/scrnshots/Screenshot_2014-09-05-knock.png

Day 2 and I love it. The refresh rate is screaming fast! Much faster than my Tactrix 2.0 or even the 1.3 ever was.

Zero bluetooth crashes, zero app crashes.

I pm'd heiche with a few questions and got a response extremely fast.

Yes pretty much any android based tablet or phone can run this. You do not have to have the phone active to use it for the android applications.

There's a specific one that Metro PCS sells, it's very cheap, prepaid so no contract or anything and guys love it when using the YaV1 application with their V1 radar detectors.

EDIT: I don't know if they even still sell these but here's a thread related to them.

http://www.rdforum.org/showthread.php?t=37874

EDIT EDIT: Looks like metro pulled them lol, probably the YaV1 guys bought them all.

Surely they'll be on ebay cheap though.

EDIT EDIT EDIT: I keep thinking of more things. If you do decide to start using this application with whatever phone, I don't know if you guys know about proclipusa but they have the absolute best vehicle mounts for whatever devices. They are car + device specific. If you want your screen mounted properly this is the way to go.

OK i'm done now.

Edited by firehawk618

• 7 years later...
I am reviving this.... 8 year old thread :spin:. Looks like the original BtSsm threads have been deleted from the forum :(. There are still folks using this wonderful app. I do all the time. So, we should probably use this thread since the OP here is the creator of this app :).
  • Like 3

• 1 year later...
On 6/13/2022 at 4:12 PM, xt2005bonbon said:

So, we should probably use this thread since the OP here is the creator of this app

@heiche

@xt2005bonbon

and any others!

Does BtSsm need a Google or Play Store account to boot up?

When I set up my 7" Samsung tablet with BtSsm back around 2015, I entered a Gmail address to help with transferring logs and LV tables to my home computer.  

Since then I never had a problem with BtSsm starting up and running.  (It's a "dashboard" used whenever the car is being driven.)

However, a few days ago I decided to remove the account from the tablet, in part, in case the tablet got "misplaced".  Since then, BtSsm occasionally would boot up only as far as the display screen (not yet communicating with the ECM) and stop with a message at the bottom that "the app has crashed . . . sending report . . . ".  After a few seconds, the display screen closes, although the app is still running, at least according to the tablet's display of open apps.

In a recent experiment, after BtSsm failed, I closed it and then reinstated the Gmail account.  BtSsm opened normally.  

I also found that if I then, again, remove the Gmail account, BtSsm opens fine repeatedly.  But I noticed that if the tablet is off for some time, e.g., overnight or more, and the account had not been reinstated, BtSsm doesn't open properly.

Another observation is that it seems BtSsm will open normally if the Gmail account is listed, even though WiFI is switched off.  It appears that it's just the availability of a valid account that's needed, not necessarily communications with that site.  I haven't yet checked after overnight to verify this.  Edit:07/03/2023 This is the case; with the account in place, but WiFi not on, BtSsm does load up properly after the tablet was off overnight.

There doesn't appear to be anything in the user Manual on the BtSsm website that indicates an account has to be available.  

I've sent a message to Heiche via the "contact" form on the website, but not sure if it's still being used.

Thus my question here.

In the event the app software might have been corrupted, is there a way to repair it, or reinstall it from the Play Store, but not lose the current settings and numerous custom fields I have now?   Does making a "backup" file cover this; i.e., the backup file isn't lost when the program is overwritten?

Edited by Plain om
update observations

Hi, and thanks for the reply.

No change. 

I've been repeating various combinations to confirm my earlier observations of the impact of

Account set up in the tablet and account removed;

WiFi on or WiFi off;

Bluetooth on or Bluetooth off (connects to the BtSsmK dongle).

So far all lead to the conclusion that any time the account is set up in the tablet, BtSsm starts up as usual but if the account is deleted, BtSsm fails.  Moreover, this is irrespective of whether or not WiFi or Bluetooth is on, i.e., whether or not the tablet actually has access to the internet or to the dongle. 

I don't recall ever deleting the account from the tablet in the past, so never came across this before and so don't know if having an account listed was always required.  

Any help you can provide would be very much appreciated, including suggestions for any other tests might provide clarity.

Edited by Plain om

Waiting to hear from heiche ;), but my gut feeling is that because it is a paid app, there must be some kind of 'token' or license check upon app startup, to make sure the app is in fact attached to some account who legitimately paid for it. That's my guess anyway.

I have the app running on my good old Nexus 7 which is rarely online. BUT, it is associated to my google account. So maybe that's why I never ran into any issue like you.

Yes, the "token"/license check certainly seems plausible.  

What's odd is that if the tablet doesn't have internet access, and it cannot run the "check", that doesn't seem to stop the start up.  It's just seems to need a, presumably, valid account (ID and p/w). (Valid, that is, when it was entered into the tablet!)

On 8/3/2023 at 4:52 PM, xt2005bonbon said:

. . .because it is a paid app, there must be some kind of 'token' or license check upon app startup, . . .

I have the app running on my good old Nexus 7 which is rarely online. BUT, it is associated to my google account. So maybe that's why I never ran into any issue like you.

I believe you are quite right.

My Samsung tablet is running Android 4.4.2.  I clicked on "Settings", "General", "Application manager", and then BtSsm". Then scrolled down to Permissions.  At the bottom of the list there's "Google Play license check"!

When I select that permission, a pop-up shows:

"Google Play Store

Can check if you have a license for this app from Google Play"

Okay, so it "can" check for the BtSsm license in Google Play.

Another permission is "Full network access".   The pop-up there reads:

"Network communication

Allows the app to create network sockets and use custom network protocols.  The browser and other applications provide means to send data to the internet, so this permission is not required to send data to the internet."

I don't know what "create network sockets and use custom network protocols" means.  Could it be that the app can communicate with Google Play even when the tablet WiFi control (in Settings) is Off? This could explain why the app starts up properly even when the tablet's WiFi is turned off for extended periods and why the app fails to start up properly when WiFi is On but the tablet doesn't have the associated Google account set up! 

I'm hoping someone here using BtSsm would be willing to temporarily remove the related Google Account from their phone or tablet, and then see if BtSsm starts up properly after being off for some time.  (Just want to know if what I have experienced is a glitch, or normal.)

Edited by Plain om