LegacyGT.com

HELP! Serious transmission problem

robot8282

So for starters, I have a 2006 legacy wagon 2.5i 4EAT. I was driving back to my hotel (on vacation) and the car was driving perfectly fine. I came to a stop sign right next to my hotel, and when I went around the corner, the car began to rev up but wasn't gaining much speed, I tiptronicked into 2nd and the car began to make a grinding noise as I stepped on the accelerator. I pulled over, put the car in park, turned it off and let it sit for a minute. I started it up again and put it in drive, and as I stepped on the accelerator the car began to rev up, make a grinding noise, and wouldn't accelerate much at all. I parked it on the side of the road and walked back to the room. Am I screwed?

I'm no expert on 4eat's but that doesn't sound good.

What does the fluid look like ?

How's the level ?

Have you been doing the fluid changes ?

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

• 2 months later...
something in the drive line is obviously broken. i doubt its and axle or drive shaft, but thoses are easy to determine by just looking under the car. Odds are a clutch pack, band or planetary assembly took a poop in the trans. have the trans fluic cover removed and drains to see if there is debris in there. that will leave little doubt as to how bad the situation is.

Sorry about never getting back to you all who responded. It turned out the driver side front axle fell out of the transfer case. I had it fixed up in New Jersey, drove back to MD and about 500 miles later it fell out again. Took it back to the shop where I had it put in originally and they said it must've been a faulty part or something. Still very strange that it fell out at all, let alone twice

Archived