LegacyGT.com

2016 Impreza...to look more like the WRX concept?

Imprezsing04

Alright, so we all know Subaru's concepts and their production vehicles look nothing alike. But apparently Subaru's chief designer Mamoru Ishii said that they will take the next generation Impreza in a direction that will "excite the marketplace"

There are rumors it will look more like the concept car we all drooled over with a wider and more stanced bottom and a more narrow roofline. Could this all be true????

http://autoomobile.com/news/the-2016-xv-crosstrek-subaru-impreza-to-follow-the-wrx-concept/1006835/

If this is so, I will be holding off on a 2015 WRX and wait for the 2017 WRX...

Post updates if you guys see anything! Spy shots, rumors, etc

I also would guess Subaru isn't going to do a major redesign of the wrx after just 2 years. (Unless the Imprezza is more of sheet metal facelift).

Bugeye,blub eye, hawk eye. Three facelifts in 6 years

2008-2010 wrx sedan and hatch vs 2011-2014 wrx sedan and hatch. I think the plan is to start with the impreza that's been out since 2012 and then move the cues over to the wrx. I'm hoping 2017

I think Subaru realizes how numb the 2015 styling is that they need to spice it up. Just like the 2008-2010 wrx's

autoomobile and torque news are not news.[/quote http://m.motortrend.com/wot/1406_subaru_wants_to_make_next_impreza_a_sexy_wrx_y_thing.html

Motor trend?

If not, I got my hopes up for nothing lol

Bugeye,blub eye, hawk eye. Three facelifts in 6 years

2008-2010 wrx sedan and hatch vs 2011-2014 wrx sedan and hatch.

Those are facelift examples, they shared the same chassis dimensions as each other of the same generation. I personally think its a real long shot that Subaru will move the WRX platform with the next gen Impreza after just 2 years. I would not wait on buying a new WRX because the Impreza is suppose to get more agressive styling and your speculating that it might carry over to the wrx. The wrx will probably gets its mid cycle refresh in '18.

Yeah, I very highly doubt this as well. Remember that even if to the naked eye the WRX looks very close to the Impreza, it actually has different sheet metal stampings. Hence I believe that this design will last as long as the Impreza chassis does. You want to recoup the money on the stamping you just made. Plus Subaru's take on the Civic just came out anyway. ;)

Those are facelift examples, they shared the same chassis dimensions as each other of the same generation. I personally think its a real long shot that Subaru will move the WRX platform with the next gen Impreza after just 2 years. I would not wait on buying a new WRX because the Impreza is suppose to get more agressive styling and your speculating that it might carry over to the wrx. The wrx will probably gets its mid cycle refresh in '18.

I think Impreza/Crosstrek 2016 and WRX 2018 but the '18 wrx will come out in mid 2017. It may very well be sheetmetal changes but the new impreza is supposed to incorporate the new chasis design which will carryover to all future subarus.

The 2012 civic was a bust in terms of styling so honda redesigned in 2013. I would say the current wrx design busted alot of people's hopes in terms of aggressiveness and perhaps they are ready to do a substantial refresh for 2018

Yeah, I very highly doubt this as well. Remember that even if to the naked eye the WRX looks very close to the Impreza, it actually has different sheet metal stampings. Hence I believe that this design will last as long as the Impreza chassis does. You want to recoup the money on the stamping you just made. Plus Subaru's take on the Civic just came out anyway. ;)

Yes, I know the wrx only shares the roof and some other small bits with the impreza but if sales decline, they are gonna want to step it up. Especially with the Golf R coming out and chances of other AWD turbo compacts coming in the near future: Dodge Dart SRT, Focus RS, Mazdaspeed 3, etc...the STI might get an FA. maybe an FA25? And the looks department might want to get refreshed too.

This is why I posted in the Rumors section cause I just wanted people's opinions.

What did Subaru say about the new civic?

I honestly hope that Subaru is still concerned how well their only sport car does. If MazdaSpeed 3 comes out with AWD, I think that would get Subaru's attention. The last generation Speed 3 was very nice, but lacked one big thing for it to compete, in my mind anyway, AWD. Subaru has to move past the mindset that mediocre interior and exterior designs are OK and stiff competition will do this. I understand that it's hard to keep up in today's horsepower wars and that the days where the STI was a giant killer are long gone, but it's time to do something about the cars power.

Just my tongue-in-cheek comment that the new Impreza is copying the look of the Civic.

The current Impreza gets it wrong in pretty much every possible way.

It's as if Subaru didn't care beyond AWD because they know AWD is near non-existant in that segment. No competition leads to lazy complacency.

I honestly hope that Subaru is still concerned how well their only sport car does. If MazdaSpeed 3 comes out with AWD, I think that would get Subaru's attention. The last generation Speed 3 was very nice, but lacked one big thing for it to compete, in my mind anyway, AWD. Subaru has to move past the mindset that mediocre interior and exterior designs are OK and stiff competition will do this. I understand that it's hard to keep up in today's horsepower wars and that the days where the STI was a giant killer are long gone, but it's time to do something about the cars power.

Just my tongue-in-cheek comment that the new Impreza is copying the look of the Civic.

The current Impreza gets it wrong in pretty much every possible way.

It's as if Subaru didn't care beyond AWD because they know AWD is near non-existant in that segment. No competition leads to lazy complacency.

Towards the end of the model year, the wrx was deemed old technology and phased out.

Focus RS with supposedly awd:

http://www.roadandtrack.com/go/future-cars/2016-ford-focus-rs-first-details-exclusive-insider-info?src=spr_FBPAGE&spr_id=1459_83112075

dodge dart awd:

http://jalopnik.com/the-dodge-dart-srt-will-be-a-turbo-awd-wrx-fighter-1572339997

golf r: 296hp awd

http://www.caranddriver.com/news/2015-volkswagen-golf-r-photos-and-info-news

mazdaspeed:

http://wot.motortrend.com/1408_mazda_lineup_to_grow_mazdaspeed3_arrives_late_2016.html

its gonna be stiff competition soon

Now it's no longer a question of being almost alone on the market with AWD for common customers, not it's a question of finding the next big key to attract customers.

Subaru do have some dedicated engineers, which is in their favor. Unusual designs is a thing that they do have both as an advantage and disadvantage - like the bugeye, some hated it, others thought it was cute.

And then it's the fight for customers while also trying to cope with all emissions regulations. The latter is what limits the access to fun variants to only a few select ones.

453747.png

Bread and butter for Subaru are Oubacks, Foresters, Crosstreks, and Imprezas, while they've vanilla'd the Legacy to mainstream levels to start selling better. WRX and the STI are the only cars they really have that are fun to drive and desirable to buy in my mind. I hope they continue giving these two meaningful improvements and keep them up there with the competition. With any of the other cars they make, if you don't need AWD, you might as well buy a comparable Toyota.

I'm certainly looking forward to more competition because it absolutely benefits the customer.

I look at something like the Crosstrek. Snazzy little CUV, I'd love to buy one, but it is completely gimped by an awful engine, and one of the worst interiors and sound systems in the entire auto industry. Even the Outlander Sport feels like luxury in comparison.

Even the Forester. It's completely bereft of semblance of interior quality and costs over $30k in top trim

I hope the 2015 Outback and Legacy represent the future of Subaru interiors, materials and features.

I'm certainly looking forward to more competition because it absolutely benefits the customer.

I look at something like the Crosstrek. Snazzy little CUV, I'd love to buy one, but it is completely gimped by an awful engine, and one of the worst interiors and sound systems in the entire auto industry. Even the Outlander Sport feels like luxury in comparison.

Even the Forester. It's completely bereft of semblance of interior quality and costs over $30k in top trim

I hope the 2015 Outback and Legacy represent the future of Subaru interiors, materials and features.

Hasn't the Legacy (limited) always been the home of Subaru's best interior (even if it isn't that great compared to the rest of the industry)?

You have two URLs for 4 cars :(

The Mazda and Dodge ones aren't pointing to the right articles

Bread and butter for Subaru are Oubacks, Foresters, Crosstreks, and Imprezas, while they've vanilla'd the Legacy to mainstream levels to start selling better. WRX and the STI are the only cars they really have that are fun to drive and desirable to buy in my mind. I hope they continue giving these two meaningful improvements and keep them up there with the competition. With any of the other cars they make, if you don't need AWD, you might as well buy a comparable Toyota.

You forgot about the BRZ

wow, that focus rs seems like a monster! ~325hp + awd?? theyve got to be kidding!

Yeah, the Focus ST with FWD was enough to take some customers from Subaru. Focus RS would hopefully force Subaru to step it up. I just dont want all this competition and then everyone loses by trying to offer more for less and then never being able to recoup

You have two URLs for 4 cars :(

The Mazda and Dodge ones aren't pointing to the right articles

For those too lazy to scroll back lol

For some reason your link still doesnt work for me, but I found the page you were referring to

http://wot.motortrend.com/1408_mazda_lineup_to_grow_mazdaspeed3_arrives_late_2016.html

Hopefully subaru will bring the back the LGT with 2.5DIT 6spd MT or the OBXT 6spd MT or something fun to drive that doesnt scream out stoplight-racer -.- . No offense to the WRX drivers.

For some reason your link still doesnt work for me, but I found the page you were referring to

Hopefully subaru will bring the back the LGT with 2.5DIT 6spd MT or the OBXT 6spd MT or something fun to drive that doesnt scream out stoplight-racer -.- . No offense to the WRX drivers.

If the 2015 Legacy came with the FA20DIT and a 6mt, I would have bought it instead. Until then, the WRX is just about the only choice for 6MT, Turbo, and AWD for under $30k that is even somewhat reliable.

Archived