LegacyGT.com

5EAT transmission replacement require reprogramming?

I have to have my tranny replaced. I am purchasing a complete used transmission, but I'm not sure if it will require reprogramming. Can anyone comment, as the transmission shop does not have software for this vehicle.

Thanks!

Well, you need to replace with the same year. So if yours is an 05, you need to replace with an 05. Not an 06, or an 07, and certainly not an 08-09.

Shouldn't require any reprogramming unless your TCU was somehow damaged.

The trans should relearn most of its stuff within a few hundred miles - Anything under that, and it'll act funny for awhile. Just takes time for it to learn.

Okay, thanks. Got an '05 tranny with 52K, so should work perfectly. My car, on the other hand, is working on 175K...

Not bad! I'm at ~150k, with new motor.

These trannys aren't known for failing -- What'd you do to yours to send it to its grave?

LOL I knocked on wood... I'm expecting it though. Just a matter of time and that right pedal. After talking to Hexmod mister last year I'm pretty sure sending mine to him for a rebuild would be the best option. My favorite transmission shop closed down a couple years ago.

Not bad! I'm at ~150k, with new motor.

These trannys aren't known for failing -- What'd you do to yours to send it to its grave?

I replace my motor at 142 K.. 3 stock turbos third one shot shards of metal into the motor. I don't really know what happened to the transmission area but the guy at the transmission shop told me that these are actually pretty notorious for failing.

^If you follow the manufacturer regarding fluid flush yeah, I'd believe that.

The first pan drop I performed was full of clutch pack debris.

There are a few here with more power and or mileage on them.

Looking forward to hearing how the swap goes for you.

Over all this has been a really nice auto trans for me.

There are a few here with more power and or mileage on them.

Looking forward to hearing how the swap goes for you.

I've loved driving the car..... but I've had just about everything than can go wrong, go wrong. And yes, I have put several performance mods on it. Started with 3" catless dp and ECU flash. Then STI up-pipe. Blew up a stock turbo and blew end-tanks off stock IC twice, so added Perrin TMIC (awesome product. Double cooling area and SOLID piece of aluminum), Perrin radiator hoses, Cobb turbo heat shield, and a more agressive stage 2.5 map (not that bad, peak psi at 17lb. Although data logs showed times when it would go up to 19...).

Blew 2 more turbos, then the motor. When that was replaced at 142K, I also put in a new radiator, timing belt, Megan coilovers all the way around, BNR 16g turbo. Now the transmission. I've fixed just about everything, and NOW I'm planning to sell it? Someone's going to get the newest 175K car around, and with tons of performance mods.:eek:

Mitch's Auto Parts in your area has 2 in stock under 50K

under $900.00 each

I donated to LegacyGT.com which allows me to have this nifty signature. :p

If anything SCASEYS posts ever becomes a sticky i'm gonna light this whole place on fire :lol:

Mitch's Auto Parts in your area has 2 in stock under 50K

under $900.00 each

I got one being delivered today. Wish I had known that Tuesday. I paid $1500. $250 of that was shipping from NY. Best I could find in a very short time.

Archived